General DKCA development discussion

Feedback, suggestions and content submissions for the DKC Atlas website and forum can be posted here.

Re: General on-going site development discussion

Postby Kiddy14 » July 28th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I know what may be the problem with faulty IE!
Notice how in this image:
...the loading image is in %/media/gfx/but-prev.png? Well, it's the little arrows that take you to the previous page in the chronological order.
And according to Microsoft Forums:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet-ES/ ... &SiteID=30
That has something to do with a DOM javascript Qyz gave the little arrow (you know, if you see the actual image is the faded arrow next to the normal one, something I remember Qyz talked about). From what I understand, the browser is trying to do something with the image (in this case, replacing the left part with the right part, giving the feeling of being shiny), but since some things in the code aren't loaded or processed by the browser at the time (most likely because it's in the process of being loaded), IE takes it as faulty code and stops the page's progress. The solution is supposedly to force the javascript to take action until the page is done downloading.
Of course, I know nothing about javascript, so the final statement would be from either Qyzbud or someone who also knows about it.

EDIT: Well... after trying to see if Windows Vista's Protected IE Mode had something to do (I don't know if gamer_boy or Joe have Vista), I went to my XP and the error appeared. It's really annoying to see the site with IE, specially with XP's fatal error sound.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 30th, 2008, 7:52 am

I would like to let Qyzbud know that I like the new format for the PAR codes better, and he should make all of them look like that.

EDIT: I still can't access the previous updates though...
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » July 30th, 2008, 9:18 am

I like the new updates, especially the tips and tricks.
I can't view the previous updates either, because of the wierd glitch we already discussed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » July 30th, 2008, 9:33 am

The previous updates work fine on my end. All I have to do when it tells me it can't find the page and "operation aborted" is click refresh and it comes out fine.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Qyzbud » July 30th, 2008, 11:33 am

gamer_boy997 wrote:I would like to let Qyzbud know that I like the new format for the PAR codes better, and he should make all of them look like that.

Great, thanks for the feedback. If there are no objections (and I shouldn't think there would be...), I'll finish the reformatting, and maybe throw in a generous handful of new codes while I'm at it. ;)

Thanks for the further error reports. I know this is pretty much the browser (IE/AOL) acting up, but I've got to get it to work as well as possible for everyone... I've heard that the next version of IE will be significantly more 'web standards compliant' than IE7, 6 etc., so that should make development easier down the track. Of course, in the meantime I'm left trying to 'fool' the non-FF browsers into displaying things correctly. :roll:

Kiddy14 wrote:I know what may be the problem with faulty IE!
...according to Microsoft Forums: View Post (Spanish)
That has something to do with a DOM javascript Qyz gave the little arrow...

Good thinking, but actually I didn't use any JS for that effect. I created those 'hover' effects using cascading style sheet techniques. I'll have a read through that article, though; I wouldn't want to overlook a possible solution due to tunnel vision.

...although it's in Spanish, which I haven't exactly 'mastered' yet. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » July 30th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Sorry...
The best thing I could find was this official article from Microsoft's Web Support.
It's actually displayed automatically in spanish for me, so I can't really analize it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » August 5th, 2008, 5:22 am

2 things.

1) On the Level Info pages I clicked a screenshot, and a box popped up showing the image. Underneath it said 1 of 8 in one corner, and X Close in the other. But if I wanted to see the next image I'd have to close it and click the next one. There should be arrows.
2) On one screenshot it showed who submitted the shot, but the name was half covered up by the Close button. I could kinda tell it said Cody, but it still was a little misleading....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » August 5th, 2008, 5:50 am

There is a way to see the images without hitting Close. You just click the right part of the image to go to the next one, or the left part to go to the previous. A Next and a Prev sign also shows up in the top corners when you hover, and the mouse changes to that of a hand.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » August 5th, 2008, 10:50 am

You can also use the left and right arrow keys to navigate between snaps, but clicking on the left/right of the image is probably just as convenient.

Maybe I can mention this as a tip above each gallery section. :)

Jomingo wrote:On one screenshot it showed who submitted the shot, but the name was half covered up by the Close button.

That is an IE issue which is hinted at on the relevant update. I've tried extensively to fix this formatting cross-browser, but unfortunately IE and Firefox organise things too differently for me to straighten this issue out... well, so far anyhow. I haven't given up.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 5th, 2008, 11:35 am

I've been using Firefox instead of IE today, and the site really did look better. It also didn't freeze up every ten seconds and most of the Atlas's IE bugs were non-existent.

When using a different browser I noticed that the font on the site was different... is it just me, or did Qyz actually change it?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 5th, 2008, 12:19 pm

I'm glad you know I haven't been bluffing this whole time... Firefox really is a better way to browse. That said, I'll always be aiming to improve cross-browser compatibility, as I want the Atlas to be useful (and free of frustrations) for ALL users, not just the enlightened ones. ;)

I haven't changed the site's font in the last month... It must be a browser/OS/display setting discrepancy. Any chance you could describe the difference, or post screen captures? I do want to keep the formatting precise on all setups, wherever possible.

Thanks for the info. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » August 5th, 2008, 12:25 pm

It looks different because IE gives a "Clear-Type" (a.k.a "font anti-aliasing") effect to the fonts.

EDIT:
Qyzbud wrote:I'd appreciate anyone who notices such errors on DKC Atlas to let me know. I'd like to look more professional than Nintendo. :D

The Secrets & Oddities section isn't updated. The link to Tips & Tricks isn't active and it says "Coming Soon".
An Studies & Docs typo:
This is a place for general observations regarding DKC. If if an interesting observation belongs on this site, but has no logical place in this section or elsewhere, it goes here. This may be a good place to mention design conventions, re-use of sound/graphics, structural inconsistencies of various kinds, and that kind of thing. A mixed bag of technical musings, really.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » August 5th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Oh dear, how embarrassing. :lol:
Thanks Kiddy, all fixed now.

As for ClearType, as far as I know, that's dependant on the operating system, not the browser. Both Firefox and IE smooth the text for me, because I have ClearType enabled via [right-click on desktop] Properties (Display Properties) > Appearance > Effects... In my experience, text doesn't seem to smooth in either browser, or the OS interface, or wordprocessors etc... unless ClearType is enabled.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » August 6th, 2008, 1:01 am

ClearType can be application dependant, or in the whole OS as in your case. IE7 enables ClearType by default.

And now you will have to kill me. Because I kind of missed one typo in the most important page in the site :(
As DKC Atlas is still under heavy construction, many of the sections are not yet available, so think of this as a 'preview' of what to to expect over the coming weeks and months.[...]
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 6th, 2008, 1:53 am

Okay then... Could someone tell me how to enable ClearType on Firefox? Because it's not really a different font, but on IE the text is a lot smoother than it is in Firefox.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » August 6th, 2008, 1:55 am

You have to enable ClearType through Windows Display Properties. Altough that would affect the whole OS.
Qyzbud wrote:[...]because I have ClearType enabled via [right-click on desktop] Properties (Display Properties) > Appearance > Effects...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » August 7th, 2008, 4:29 pm

It's only a small update really (a big one is in the works...), but check out the new Level Maps button!

You'll be glad you did. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » August 7th, 2008, 5:44 pm

I took a look through the first two worlds in the Level Map Viewer and noticed that Coral Capers' Checkpoint Barrel is animated.

Are you planning on animating some other parts of the maps, such as the bananas, banana bunches, and life balloons?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » August 7th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Yeah, I think the more lively and detail-rich I can make them, the better these maps will be. My project aims of low file sizes (fast downloads), low system requirements and minimal time investment on my part may limit this, but I'll work to create a nice balance taking all of these factors into consideration.

I'd go into more detail, but I'd say that would be a discussion for the mapping topic. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » August 7th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Hrmm...

Apart from the homepage, no page on the site will load for me anymore; I get an IE pop up message saying

"Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site: URLHERE. Operation Aborted."

And while this does provide me with an excuse to start getting used to using Firefox, I'm a little annoyed because it means that I have to make some downloads on all other computers I use if I want to check the site again. Plus it isn't exactly too enticing for people who don't use the ideal browser for viewing. I mean, sure, you can reccommend someone to download a browser to view their site, but if they have to download it to view anything on the site, it making very good first impressions on people. You don't want to get people clicking away from the site before they've had a chance to see anything, really. Even if the pages weren't in the ideal format for viewing when on IE, it would still be better than nothing at all.

Edit: Another 'hrmmm'. Now the pages will work on occasion if I click back after getting the message. Only sometimes though. It seemed like soething on your end before since it would always happen on the pages of this site; but now I'm not even so sure... >_>;
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » August 7th, 2008, 11:09 pm

God damn Internet Exploder. :|

Okay, as much as I dislike IE, it is the most commonly used browser; I'll remove whatever feature is causing the problem. I've got a sinking feeling that the very system I'm using to make the site easy and efficient to update is what's causing the IE meltdown. If so, that means I'll have to step back instead of forward. Will take a while, too.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » August 8th, 2008, 12:54 am

Damn, me and Qyz already talked about this problem(I get it too), and we were hoping that I was the only one who got it. But apparently you do, Gamerboy does, I think Kiddy14 said he does, I think Captain Eddie said so....

This sucks bananas.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby CaptainEddie » August 8th, 2008, 3:32 am

The prblem is very minimal on my end. When it says "Operation Aborted", I just click okay and the whole page loads anyway. Most the time, it doesn't even tell me "operation aborted".
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » August 8th, 2008, 7:30 am

Pages load to me in IE7 now!
The only pages I can't load at all are:
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/dkc/updates
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/dkc/resources/text

And the only "common" thing about those 2 is that there is "red text in a white box" inside a "click on me to see the text" box.

EDIT: No, now it also happens in Ropey Rampage. =/

EDIT2: I don't get it. Sometimes it'll work. Sometimes don't. sometimes after pressing Ok the IE can't show webpage message would be displayed, but sometimes the page would load afterwards.

EDIT3: Ok, after some research, it appears that the only solution I have found is the only problem of this. I don't know anything bout websites coding but according to this:
If there are any Javascripts running inside the body tag or inside a table which is directly a child of body, then most of the times this error is bound to happen. The solution is to move the script to the top or bottom of the body tag or even moving it after the body. The script can also be put inside a function and then calling it from window.onload. Another solution to this problem is to add defer=”defer” in the script tag.

Excuse me if this isn't the case, but this is what everybody happen to say about the error =P Beside I'm sure nobody wants people run away from the site when they see the error and get frustruated and stop viewing it and tell people to not enter it because it's glitchy xD

EDIT4: After reading through Jungle Hijinxs page code, I found this:
Code: Select all
<script type="text/javascript">
var tricks=new switchcontent("tricks", "div")
    tricks.init()
    tricks.sweepToggle('expand')

var glitches=new switchcontent("glitches", "div")
    glitches.init()
    glitches.sweepToggle('expand')

var mysteries=new switchcontent("mysteries", "div")
    mysteries.init()
    mysteries.sweepToggle('expand')

var closeme=new switchcontent("openme", "div")
    closeme.init()
    closeme.sweepToggle('contract')
</script>

Doesn't this code makes the lists in each section display/undisplayed :D
If it's not the case, then sorry, but I'm trying my best to help IE users enjoy DKC Atlas as much as us Firefox or Opera users.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » August 8th, 2008, 8:46 am

Kiddy, thanks for all your help with this; I really appreciate your bug reporting efforts. It's really frustrating for me, as I don't get the problem... even in IE6/7... so it's hard for me to do my own testing and bugfixing. I know it happens, though. I was showing the Atlas to a potential web design client and *gulp* it happened on his computer. :|

If only I'd been using my computer for the demonstration. :roll:

Anyhow, I've tried shifting the javascript so that it's outside of the body tag, as your quoted text suggested. It still works fine at my end, and hopefully this will help things at your end. It would be awesome if I could avoid re-coding the entire site, which I may have to do if this fix doesn't work... Let me know!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » August 8th, 2008, 8:53 am

Qyzbud wrote:I was showing the Atlas to a potential web design client *gulp* and it happened on his computer. :|

Ouch.

Since I've quit using IE, I haven't seen any bugs. Sorry guys. 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 8th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Ah, how lovely. Did you do a full refresh? (Ctrl+F5)

If not, try that. I'm grabbing at straws, here... I really don't want to re-code every page. :|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » August 8th, 2008, 1:36 pm

I did =(

It does, but this time, not always. It just spawns randomly.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » August 8th, 2008, 1:39 pm

For me (IE7) I get either of these results, but I haven't gotten any other errors.
A. The page loads relatively quickly (less than 10 seconds)
B. The page loads but takes a very long time (more than 30 seconds)
C. The page cannot be found
D. The page loads partially and stops

With Firefox, most pages usually load within under ten seconds. In the case that a page won't load, I usually get a network timeout message. Which seems to be happening more and more frequently. :|

Semi-off-topic:
Spoiler!
Internet Explorer is even slower than Firefox, and I can't figure out what on earth is bogging down my connection. I used to be able to load pages on the Atlas (site and forum) very quickly, but now everything is slow as a snail..... and I haven't the slightest clue why. I'm sure that it's not a problem with the site, but it just generally gets on my nerves.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » August 8th, 2008, 1:45 pm

The thing about the site not loading happens on both Firefox and IE to me :x

And I'm sorry Qyz, I deleted EVERYTHING from IE's historial. I pressed Ctrl+F5 in the Previous Updates page a lot of times and each of those IE would stop loading.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

DKC Atlas Development and My Forum Activity

Postby Qyzbud » September 23rd, 2008, 4:32 pm

I've considered creating a new topic to make a small announcement, but I don't want to make a big deal of it really...

Long story short, over the last week I have been prioritising 'real life' in such a way that I've had little time to spend on DKC Atlas, or the forum here. This is likely to continue for a little while (perhaps another week or so), but is in no way me 'abandonning' the projects I've set out to complete or the community I've been honoured to see grow and converse here. There are lots of things I'm trying to achieve right now, and although I'll no doubt be back at full capacity sometime soon, I'm temporarily avoiding the distractions associated with online life.

Cheers guys, I'll get the ball rolling again soon... ;)
-Qyz
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gnawzooka » September 23rd, 2008, 6:09 pm

No problem. ;) I'm sure anyone here could undertsand that real life is more important.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Re: DKC Atlas Development and My Forum Activity

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 16th, 2008, 9:56 am

Wow! There hasn't been an update in over a month, a new record!
Qyzbud wrote:Long story short, over the last week I have been prioritising 'real life' in such a way that I've had little time to spend on DKC Atlas, or the forum here. This is likely to continue for a little while (perhaps another week or so)

Well, it's been well over a week since Qyz posted this, so he will probably get back to this site soon, or he's probably just working on the IE problem right now.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » October 17th, 2008, 9:30 am

I wouldn't count on it. He seems to be busy with real life(which is more important), so he'll probably be busy for a while.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » October 19th, 2008, 11:13 pm

When I said ''perhaps another week or so'', I was indeed pitching a very rough guess, which has proven a little inaccurate... Thankfully, I've had site development on my mind a fair bit recently, and I do have a significant update on the way, so don't worry too much. :)

How significant will the updates be over the next couple of months? Well, remember that November is a special month in DKC history, so I'll be sure to do something special, but besides that, I've decided to announce a pledge... (spoilered to protect the feint hearted)
Spoiler!
DKC2 and DKC3 will both have their own Atlases before the end of the year.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Swing King » October 20th, 2008, 1:04 am

This may sound awkward, but...

I Love You.

Nah, but YES YES OH MY GANG-PLANK GALLEONS IN KROCKODILE KAULDRON I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!ELEVEN
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » October 20th, 2008, 6:57 am

Though that doesn't surprise me it's still nice to hear that we have goals.

And if you think that is surprising then you may be even more amazed by some of the tricks we have up our sleeves. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » October 21st, 2008, 8:24 am

Ah, thats good to hear.

The Glitches page on the atlas won't load for me. I get a window saying Internet Explorer cannot open the site, then it leads me to a white page.

How odd, the glitches page is glitched. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » October 21st, 2008, 8:56 am

Haha, that is a bit ironic. :P

Well you're not missing a lot at the moment, but I'm planning an overhaul of the glitch section, so I'll update it soon rather than fixing it now. Thanks for the report.

Multimedia is going to be a big focus in the coming months. That will be something to look forward to. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 29th, 2008, 10:05 am

Rodent wrote:The Glitches page on the atlas won't load for me.

Hmm... it doesn't do that for me, it does it with lots of the pages... randomly! When it does that, I just press 'Back' on the toolbar, and it loads.

EDIT AFTER BUMPING: Did anyone notice that on the front page, it says things are about to change in a big way?
THIS SPOILER HAS BEEN EDITED BY JOMINGO TO REMOVE CERTAIN INFORMATION. PLEASE SPEAK NO FURTHER OF THIS INCIDENT.[/spoiler]
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » October 29th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I noticed it too, and even took a snapshot when the site wasn't "functional" (probably Qyz updating the server). I was actually waiting for Qyz to give an announcement or something, but seems he isn't too hectic about it :shock:

Also, the main site's header is a little more high than it usually is (you can't see the treetops); and the forum's header is missing (if you right click it and select "Show background image", there's a 404 "You've wondered off course" error).
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 29th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Kiddy14 wrote: and the forum's header is missing

Wow, I didn't notice that. I did notice that the text changed, in a lot of the maps, he added foreground, and in every level-info page, he put links that jump you down to the sections. It looks like Qyzbud is doing something right now.
Spoiler!
Either way, I hope the DKC2 atlas is realeased on (EDITED BY JOMINGO). He also made a pledge that DKC3 will get an atlas by the end of the year.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » October 30th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Heh, looks like I've let the cat (o' 9 tails) out of the bag! I'd better keep things under wraps a little tighter, or risk spoiling all of the upcoming surprises... :roll:

Well noticed, gamerboy!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 30th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Don't worry, Jomingo took care of it right when he noticed.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » October 30th, 2008, 3:29 pm

Wow... for once, it's actually a good thing that I haven't been paying close attention to the Atlas lately. Otherwise, I may have ruined some surprises for myself... whatever you have in store for us, I can't wait! ;)

Qyzbud: one thing that seems "incorrect" on the site is that both sides of the page (the jungle walls) are the same color. Shouldn't the one on the right be brighter (that's how it is in the game)? Or would that not 'match up' with the top image?

The trees on the front page do look a little strange, I didn't notice that until now... I may have a guess as to why that was done, but I'll keep quiet because of all the spoilers that have been running rampant. :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » October 30th, 2008, 4:28 pm

Qyzbud just a minor suggestion. Would it be possible to add a "+" button somewhere on the pages so that you can make the text bigger? It was borderline too small for me before and now it is too small. It's so small on my monitor that you can tell that the text is not rendering as nice as it should and i'm finding it hard to read. Thanks.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Gnawzooka » October 30th, 2008, 5:21 pm

By the way, has anybody else noticed that this site, both the forums and the atlas itself get alot of server errors, or is it just me? THere are many tiumes when I try to open something and it just pops up 'cannot find server' or something like that.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Atlas Discussion