The DKC3 GBA Glitch Topic

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country 3 port for GBA.

The Crazy DKC3 GBA Glitch Thread!

Postby Qyzbud » March 3rd, 2008, 11:44 pm

...this thread is for you to post crazy DKC3 GBA glitches.

Okay, do it!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: The Crazy DKC3 GBA Glitch Thread!

Postby Kowbrainz » March 3rd, 2008, 11:51 pm

Both the pipeline toboggan levels allow you to traverse the entire level on foot. Simply use Dixie's helicopter spin at the start to whisk underneath the invisible blast barrel at the right moment.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 4th, 2008, 12:17 am

Well holy Kow. :o

I imagine they aren't quite as fun that way, right?

What am I talking about - glitches are always fun!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 4th, 2008, 12:20 am

Eh, it's more fun on the GBA, actually... seeing as the GBA totally nerfs all of the toboggan levels, giving the sled the ability to defy gravity and jump in huge, loopy bounds, whilst chugging along at 5kph... :x

Yeah... all the nostalgia I had from playing those levels through on the SNES (and even on DK-LAND-3!) and to see them totally wrecked... ugh.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby cfh » March 4th, 2008, 7:46 am

So in the NSTC version (doesnt work in PAL, I tried the ROM) in the first mill level (I think... I'll check after I finish homework) you can take the steel barrel near the Koin at the end of the level, throw it against the wall, jump on it, then jump on the flag. You float like you're on the flag in mid air.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 10:53 am

I can top all of those.

I was in one of the pipe levels (can't remember which one) and I had transformed into Enguarde. I did his charge attack right next to the No Animal Buddy Sign, and I went right freaking past it. I had a seizure and two heart attacks.

When I got back from the hospital, I went into a Bonus Barrel with my illegal animal buddy. In the bonus barrel, I was invisible, so I had to maneuver my invisible self around while trying to collect the stars. I eventually got past the bonus barrel but I couldn't reach the end of the level because you had to go on land. :(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby cfh » March 9th, 2008, 11:25 am

This game has a lot of glitches.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 13th, 2008, 3:07 pm

A pipe level with Enguarde... Has to be Poisonous Pipeline, doesn't it?

Anyhow, that's pretty astonishing. Those NO ANIMAL signs are usually pretty insistant. I wonder why that happened. :P Could you go back to the sign to change back to the Kongs, and complete the level, or did you have to get out of the level another way?

I've gotta say something for the ports...
I mean, sure they butcher graphics, sound and gameplay, and sometimes they even feature Kroctopus, but man, they sure bring a few new glitches to the table. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 13th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Qyzbud wrote:A pipe level with Enguarde... Has to be Poisonous Pipeline, doesn't it?

Naw, there's actually a new level within the game's new stage, Pacifica, called Dingy Drain Pipe (this is the one I was talking about which suits the new drainpipe music more); the trademark gimmick of the level is that some parts are in the water, and some aren't, and often you'll be in a submerged section when the water level drops down completely (although if you know the level well enough you can backtrack just as the water level is going down to access previously submerged areas).

Anyway... I can't replicate the glitch on either level... but instead, my character will continue past the sign swimming super fast in that direction until they hit something or I press the other way. I'm using the AUS version, by the way.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Kiddy14 » May 29th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Kowbrainz wrote:Naw, there's actually a new level within the game's new stage, Pacifica, called Dingy Drain Pipe (this is the one I was talking about which suits the new drainpipe music more); the trademark gimmick of the level is that some parts are in the water, and some aren't, and often you'll be in a submerged section when the water level drops down completely (although if you know the level well enough you can backtrack just as the water level is going down to access previously submerged areas).

I know! I have a video showing it! =) This one! Plus some more glitches, like Kiddy's hyper-throw! =)
Anyway, what I don't like about Pacifica's water is that, it's just a copy of DKC2's rendered water. In DKC2 water was rendered with small little lines, while in DKC3 it looks smooth with some waves.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Flagpole Glitch

Postby dsguy16 » June 17th, 2008, 9:07 am

To perfrom this glitch, you need to have both Kongs alive. First, go to a level that'll let you bring a Steel Keg to the flagpole. Then, you throw the Steel Keg at the opposite side of the flagpole and as it bounces back, you jump on the Steel Keg. Next, you jump off the barrel and grab onto the flagpole. What should happen is that either Dixie or Kiddy will hold onto thin air or at least part of the rope on the flag while the other Kong is at his/her normal position on the flagpole.
Newcomer

Postby Kiddy14 » June 17th, 2008, 9:20 am

Welcome, dsguy16, please be sure to read the rules while you're at it ;)
And... cfh has already said that glitch =P

I think it is because the game puts both Kongs joined/together, then when you reach the flag, the game automatically locates the Kongs at a certain distance, and since they touch the flag at the same time, there isn't enough space for the other Kong, so he/she finished mid-air =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » June 18th, 2008, 12:38 am

It doesn't really look like he broke any rules, Kiddy14. Unless I'm missing something.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » June 18th, 2008, 3:14 am

No, he didn't break any rules; it was his first post, so I just told him to read them before posting again.
I just tried it to make it sound somewhat simmilar to your greetings, but the "cfh has alredy..." sentence made it sound as if it was a punish, so I put the ;) smiley =)

Anyway, returning to the topic. I've noticed the N in Traker Barrel Trek can be trespassed for some reason. To grab it you need to be really near the barrel. Seems the actual N sprite is moved to the bottom-left of the actual object position (as in collition detection). I don't know why Rare made it like that, maybe some kind of error.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Kiddy14 » July 22nd, 2008, 6:32 am

It seems the N is ok, the problem is that it's positioned "over" the waterfall, and when you stand in the platform, the game puts you "behind" the waterfall for a faster... um... well procesing =P

Oh, and I know of a way to freeze Kiddy and Dixie in Barrel Shield Bust-Up. Go to Koin and team-up so that you're holding Kiddy, throw him to the wall so that you'll end up rolling over him and directly to Koin. Just as you hit him hold right. kiddy will fly to you as a result of the collition, but for some reason, Dixie and Kiddy will bounce together but Kiddy would stay there, in a roll position, and Dixie would be in carrying Kiddy position, with carrying kiddy physics. To unfreeze them just teamup again or switch. I would have liked to know what would happen if i went away but I couldn't =(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Kiddy14 » September 5th, 2008, 10:40 am

Anyway... I found another glitch, that can freeze gameplay.
To do it you must beat the game 103% (or 105% it's the same). Go beat K. Rool in the Knautilus. When you go seeing the Banana Bird Queen, quickly press right to get out of her place (don't letting her start talking). You'll be over Pacifica, but you can't see yourself. The map's location says you are in the entrance to Barrel Shield Bust-Up (considering that level is to the complete oposite side and inside a world). If you enter the "level" you'll be in BSBup, completing it, start+selecting or dying return you to the same place over Pacifica. If you press the Control Pad in the map will cause the game to freeze. In real-gameboy sometimes the audio turns into a scratching high-pitched tone.

This japanese dude beat me in finding it though...
Cool :D

EDIT: Ok, I did it again, and I'm scared!
Basically, I beated the level using the warp, to see how it'd be. I returned to the map and pressed Up + Down. Nothing happened so I pressed Right and the game froze, ok... Now, after a few seconds, Northern Kremispheres started to sound really high-pitched; I believe the song became corrupted or something :cry: and the world map started to glitch; black holes started to appear, it was like seeing your world become dizzy and nonsense and weird sounds! D=
I recorded the song before the game finaly threw up if anybody wants I can upload it to YT 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Rodent » September 6th, 2008, 10:18 pm

I tried that glitch before, that's awesome! I wonder what happens if you save there...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » September 17th, 2008, 2:59 pm

I dunno, you'd probably get stuck there though.
But now I'm doubled-scared than before. I did it again and reseted the GBA. But when I pressed Start it took me to the File Select Screen, and I had the Extras Code!
I think this glitch can mess up saved files =S
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Rodent » September 17th, 2008, 6:35 pm

We should get someone to do it on emulator...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby The Guy » October 16th, 2008, 11:05 am

The third time I bumped a thread today.

Anyway one time I was playing Rocket Barrel Rush and I fell of the screen! I can only see the foreground to the left of the mid-point! I had to exit the level.

I can't recall how it happened, but I was screwing around, bumping into the left side and then it happened...

Well, I think I WAS doing that, it's been a year since it happened.

EDIT: Earlier this week, I discovered a few glitches...

# You can relocate barrels (EVEN if they're destroyed.) in this game. All you have to do is carry it somwhere, drop it/throw it at an enemy or a wall, go to a Bonus Barrel, and then you'll see the barrel's where you left it. NOTE: This doesn't work for Steel Kegs or Barrels dropped into the water.
# You can place a barrel or a Knocka on the Barrel below cracks (Excluding ones leading to a Bonus Barrel.)
# At the end of Tidal Trouble, you can make the Knocka float above the crack. All you have to do is carry it with Dixie and place it on top of it.
It'll float. Also when it's running around and it goes over the crack, it will suddenly go a bit over it!
# In Spring'n Spiders, in one of the Bonus Minigames, Kiddy was rolling when the game ended! The same hing happened to Dixie when I threw her on a platform in the level, and Kiddy floated in mid-air, only to get hurt by the Buzz.
# In Bobbing Barrel Battle, when Ellie's in the water you can quit and when yo're on the map, you'll still hear the sound effect she makes when drinking (Or something).
Veteran Venturer

Postby edevore » October 25th, 2008, 2:08 pm

I have two glitches with dixie kong,

1. In the first land where you start, the second or third level where you must skip kiddie to get into the bonus you can sometimes use dixie to get into it if you do it right, but anyway if you go to the edge about four pixles away.. spin and jump then press right while hair glideing to the right you should hit the ledge and the glitch should take you into the bonus, its been a while but this is very-very close to what I did. *I was able to get into this bonus two or three times with dixie*.

2. In the level where you fly dixie over to the barrel of ellie which you then turn into her and get scared by 3 sneek's and race threw the level, anyway this is a glitch where you skip the ellie barrel, this glitch is not very useful but is still cool.. anyway you start the level and to to the very end then jump-while pressing right untill in air about same level as ledge let go of right then hold right again once you get to the edge of the barrel of ellie PRESS DOWN then down-right then Hold Right then RIGHT-UP then hold RIGHT again.. you should now be past the barrel on the right side of ellie... this glitch will not let you go any further than two feet past the barrel but it again is still cool.* I was able to do this two times*.

Thats pretty much it.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 26th, 2008, 2:15 am

Kiddy14 wrote:Ok, I did it again, and I'm scared!
Basically, I beated the level using the warp, to see how it'd be. I returned to the map and pressed Up + Down. Nothing happened so I pressed Right and the game froze, ok... Now, after a few seconds, Northern Kremispheres started to sound really high-pitched; I believe the song became corrupted or something :cry: and the world map started to glitch; black holes started to appear, it was like seeing your world become dizzy and nonsense and weird sounds! D=
I recorded the song before the game finaly threw up if anybody wants I can upload it to YT 8-)

I just did that glitch, and you are NOT alone at freaking out :lol: . Nothing happened to my save files though, I already did the extras code, so just turning the game off fixed everything, but yeah, it's still scary to watch.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby PotoGamer » October 26th, 2008, 2:30 am

I've done that glitch for about 15 tumes, and I ALWAYS get freaked out! One time, I pressed the Up button, the music was acting REEEALLY weird, it was starting the same track again and again, until there was a quiet static sound, so I put the Game Boy close to my ear when suddenly...MY OLDER SISTER CAME INTO THE ROOM AND SURPRISED ME BY SHOUTING!! And at that exact moment...THERE WAS A REALLY LOUD GLITCHING NOISE! Oh, and I was TOTALLY alone in my house...
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 26th, 2008, 3:01 am

How are you alone in your house if your sister was there?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby PotoGamer » October 26th, 2008, 7:39 am

Well, I WAS alone, until my sister came home. It was all in the timing...
Trailblazer

Postby The Guy » October 30th, 2008, 7:59 am

I found a new glitch: In Squeels on Wheels, if you put a Steel Barrel on the right edge of the platform going vertically up and down nearing the area with the final Sneek it will "jump" on it's own when the platform's moving at it's normal pace.
Veteran Venturer

Postby PotoGamer » October 30th, 2008, 8:30 am

Yeah, I noticed that one, but I don't think it's a glitch, I think it's part of the barrel physics...

And on that same level, if you grab the keg barrel at the start of the level and throw it to the wall over the first door while it's opening, the keg will stop rolling, but if you try it a second time, it'll keep rolling.

EDIT: I found out that the barrel on top of Arich also jumps, along with a small bug when you switch kongs below the branch to the lower-left side of the boss battle. (When you switch the kongs, the kong that you'll change to gets stuck for a moment above the tree branch.)
Trailblazer

Postby Kiddy14 » October 30th, 2008, 1:08 pm

I think that's because barrels are not as heavy as the Kongs (you know, that's why they bounce so much when you throw them), and when the platform moves, it moves faster than how much the barrel's weight takes it down, and it ends up bouncing; since it is in the air, it starts rolling xD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » November 3rd, 2008, 9:41 am

I just found a glitch by accident!

Go to Squeals on Wheels. Go as close as you can (without bouncing from it, of course) while in team-throw mode to the door at the start, which opens at the end. Throw Dixie upwards, AND YOU'LL GO THROUGH THE DOOR! :shock: I guess this is pretty helpful for speedruns. ;)

But this also means something else...You can go through the first part of the level with Parry! :o
Trailblazer

Re: *NEW DKC3 GLITCH*

Postby Donkey King » December 2nd, 2008, 8:51 am

Knocka can stand on water! Oh No!

Seriously though, I've already seen this glitch 4 times. But still cool though. ;)
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kiddy14 » December 2nd, 2008, 9:50 am

It only works in the European version of the game.
And you can also do it in Kreeping Klasps with the DK Barrel ;)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Donkey King » December 2nd, 2008, 10:02 am

What? Man... :x

How come it doesn't work on both U and J ROMS?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kiddy14 » December 2nd, 2008, 10:15 am

Probably because U and J were revised before their release, as the European version went out before Japanese's or United States'.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » December 2nd, 2008, 10:28 am

Strange, it works in my version, which is U.
Trailblazer

Postby Donkey King » December 2nd, 2008, 10:30 am

Kiddy14 wrote:Probably because U and J were revised before their release, as the European version went out before Japanese's or United States'.

No. U and J was released before E was release.

Or are you talking about the GBA version?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kiddy14 » December 2nd, 2008, 11:49 am

The glitch FunkyKong posted is about the GBA version.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » December 2nd, 2008, 1:17 pm

FunkyKong, Remember to give a descriptive subject and a proper explanation when you post a glitch report... users shouldn't have to head over to YouTube just to see what the glitch is. Also, all GBA glitch reports belong in their respective GBA subforums - I've merged your topic into the appropriate spot now. Hopefully that will minimise confusion for us DKC3 SNES players. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » December 2nd, 2008, 2:40 pm

I thought the glitch only worked in the American version of the game. Because I have the American version and it works. And Kiddy14, you told me you have the European version and it DIDN'T work. I also tried it on the Japanese version to see if it worked there, and it didn't.

Anyway, that raises a question: Why is it that the American version came LAST, yet it's the buggiest one?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kiddy14 » December 2nd, 2008, 2:43 pm

Oh then I have my facts messed up again :oops:
Where it works is in the American version, whereas it doesn't in Japanese or European ¬¬
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Rodent » December 3rd, 2008, 5:26 pm

I was playing the PAL (Australian version, specifically) just then, and made the glitch work.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby The Guy » April 14th, 2009, 10:12 am

Here's an interesting glitch...

In Trekker Barrel Trek, there is a DK Barrel after the Ellie Barrel. Apparently, I think if you relocate it with the Kongs/Ellie and softly put it on the ground, the logo on the DK Barrel will disappear, yet it has the appearence of a normal barrel rocking! You also can't lift it.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Cody » January 3rd, 2011, 11:10 am

Speaking of Tracker Barrel Trek and strange barrels near Ellie:

Can anyone explain that? :(
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Return to DKC3 Port (GBA)