What are you Playing Right Now?

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Re: What are you Playing Right Now?

Postby Jomingo » September 21st, 2008, 10:48 am

Angry Sun, the Talk Like A Pirate Day is only at the DKU. Stop with the Pirate talk!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kowbrainz » September 22nd, 2008, 1:09 am

Jomingo wrote:Angry Sun, the Talk Like A Pirate Day is only at the DKU. Stop with the Pirate talk!

What are you on about? :|
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » September 22nd, 2008, 6:04 am

They have a Talk like a Pirate day at the DKU. It ended a couple of days ago, and yet I've noticed Angry sun has talked in pirate talk a couple of times here.
ARRRRRRR!!!!
Me be playing that fine game known only has Banjo-Tooie.
And me be thinking of playing through that great series Ratchet & Clank. Arrr!

See?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Angry Sun » September 22nd, 2008, 6:09 am

Can I help that I love to talk in Pirate?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Rodent » September 22nd, 2008, 8:12 pm

I'm not a huge fan, no. :|
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Kowbrainz » September 22nd, 2008, 10:45 pm

Jomingo wrote:They have a Talk like a Pirate day at the DKU. It ended a couple of days ago, and yet I've noticed Angry sun has talked in pirate talk a couple of times here.
ARRRRRRR!!!!
Me be playing that fine game known only has Banjo-Tooie.
And me be thinking of playing through that great series Ratchet & Clank. Arrr!

See?

You failed to notice the bold, italic, reddened text in my post.... >.<

Talk like a Pirate day is an international holiday. Not just a DKU tradition.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Swing King » September 23rd, 2008, 7:15 am

I finished Mario Galaxy and...
Spoiler!
WHAT! I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE WHOLE THING AGAIN!!!!!!!! AS LUIGI TOO!! :evil:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » September 23rd, 2008, 7:32 am

Yeah, I just found out about it being a national holiday, so......

Eh, it was still too late to talk like a pirate.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » September 23rd, 2008, 1:41 pm

Swing King wrote:I finished Mario Galaxy and...
Spoiler!
WHAT! I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE WHOLE THING AGAIN!!!!!!!! AS LUIGI TOO!! :evil:
Well... I'll just say that the last unlockable is worse than getting...
Spoiler!
Luigi
If you absolutely must know what the final unlockable is, view this next spoiler:
Spoiler!
You get access to the stage that mario was in at the very beginning, the star festival, and do a super-easy purple-coins challenge. You talk to the captain toad with either Luigi or Mario, and all you get is a picture sent to your message board with a "thanks for playing" message, which will be different if you're playing as luigi. I got to the end and thought "WHAT THE F***?! I JUST PLAYED THROUGH THIS GAME TWICE FOR TWO D*** PICTURES?!!!" The Mario series is in serious need of actually having SOMETHING WORTHWHILE to unlock after beating the game. Judging by the space on a DVD, they could have fit maybe 3 more REAL levels in there! But no, they don't give you anything but a f***ing picture when you beat the game TWICE IN A ROW!!!

Galaxy is a great game, but that is just f***ing ridiculous. :evil:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby The Angry Sun » September 23rd, 2008, 2:48 pm

I wouldn't want 3 more REAL Levels. I rather have a nice little Retro Mario Game as a reward. You know just cause with the release of such a monumental game it felt like a freaking anniversary of sorts! I stiil don't understand why there was so much hype for this game other than the fact that it's a true sequel for Super Mario 64*.

*What with the hard diffculty and Bowser being a b...*bleep*...ch to kill.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kowbrainz » September 23rd, 2008, 9:25 pm

Don't think the game was too hard, and neither was Bowser in my opinion; the boss fights in all of the 3D Mario platformers with Bowser have been disappointing for me.

Heh... the ending quote where Mario blurts out 'Welcome... welcome NEW GALAXY' is so bloody corny, felt like shooting him at that stage. XD
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Tompa » September 25th, 2008, 1:40 am

I'm spending nearly all my gaming time to TAS A Link to the Past, and I'm kicking ass!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Stone » September 25th, 2008, 9:33 am

TASing the whole game, or the funny "under 4 minutes" variant?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Gnawzooka » September 25th, 2008, 6:03 pm

This might make me sound stupid, but...what's TAS?
Anyway, I'm still playing Earthbound. Wierd iron pencils for the win!
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Stone » September 25th, 2008, 10:16 pm

That's TAS: http://tasvideos.org/ ;)
You should download the DKC TASes immediately. Nice to watch!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Kowbrainz » September 25th, 2008, 11:15 pm

I just watched the TAS of Super Metroid the other day; skips practically everything in the game. There's some weird glitches used involving the X-Ray scope that took several minutes to execute, but it was still amazing to see what had been discovered in the game. Can't wait for Sami to finish the BK TAS (or at least update with the next part...)

A leaked video of Banjo-Kazooie on the XBLA was released on Youtube today. Gonna spend my holidays playing that game again, practice a bit so I can dominate the game's leaderboards when it's released.

Edit: Woot! Speak of the devil, Sami's getting back to work on Freezeezy Peak today. :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Stone » September 26th, 2008, 3:39 am

I think we need a new topic just for discussing TAS videos

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII again. I love Excalibur and Masamune!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Kowbrainz » September 26th, 2008, 10:52 pm

I think Qyz was saying he'd make one before if I recall correctly.

Kameo arrived in the mail today. I'd already played through the first area in the demo, but I was really amazed once I arrived at the second area and got into the game properly. It's really stunning; reminds me of Shrek in a sort of way, the way the fairytale world has been contructed. The visuals are mindblowing, and the game came out 3 years ago!

Metroid Prime 2; the game says I'm about 50% of the way through in terms of pickups; I'm in Sanctuary Fortress again, where my two favourite boss battles of the game reside (although the final bosses come close). Can't wait to play the third game now... can't believe I haven't purchased it yet.

Otherwise, still playing through Super Metroid (albeit slowly, only a few minutes each day if at all). I've just gotten the Varia Suit.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Swing King » September 27th, 2008, 11:25 am

[Spoiler]This is weird, I just got to a rescuing Luigi part of SMG, and 2 LUIGIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o Luigi is cool and all, but how are there 2 :?: [Spoiler]
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Swing King » September 27th, 2008, 11:27 am

Spoiler!
There are 2 Luigis in Mario Galaxy. This game is getting too weird.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby The Angry Sun » September 27th, 2008, 2:31 pm

MarioWiki has this reason that somewhere out there is another Luigi. Like an Alien or something.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kowbrainz » September 28th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Just beat MP2 with 100%; really wish Australian games didn't cost so much, else I'd hop down to the shops and buy the third game right now. Have to say, the concept art galleries are nothing short of brilliance; just seeing all of the designs really takes my breath away. Especially when you see some of the beta designs for dark samus and the troopers and how far their designs have come. Anyone able to tell me if the third game keeps up the trend of these concept art galleries, and if so how many galleries there are to unlock?

I think I'll play further into Kameo tomorrow, maybe some more Super Metroid as well. Loving that game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby DKCplayer » October 1st, 2008, 9:18 am

I've been playing Ratchet and Clank 2: Locked and Loaded. Pretty addictive really. I beat R&C1 100% so I bought 2 and 3.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby The Angry Sun » October 2nd, 2008, 1:14 pm

That's funny.
I was about to play Rachet & Clank 2(Not mentioning subtitles) tommorow.

How far are you?
Trainee Trekker

Postby DK4Ever » October 2nd, 2008, 3:00 pm

I've been playing WoW all day. :)
Treasure Hunter

Postby Swing King » October 3rd, 2008, 7:18 am

I decided to play through Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie in order to prepare myself for Nuts&Bolts.
Spoiler!
I rediscovered something I discovered years ago...
I suck at Rusty Bucket Bay.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby DKCplayer » October 3rd, 2008, 10:23 am

The Angry Sun wrote:How far are you?

I've beaten it. I''m powering up my weapons now to their ultra forms.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Gnawzooka » October 3rd, 2008, 6:09 pm

The thugs are cool in that game. :lol: I love those games, I wish Insomniac didn't only make games for Sony. :x
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Kowbrainz » October 4th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Picked up Grabbed by the Ghoulies the other day for $7. Best seven dollars I have spent. Ever.

The game is great, more so if you're a big Rare/Banjo fan. Tonnes of references in there. Plus some sneaky innuendo at some points.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Swing King » October 5th, 2008, 1:03 am

GBtG is cool. I still don't see why everyone bashed it. I remember hearing a someone say it was a Luigi's Mansion clone, the only similarity is it's in a haunted mansion! :x
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » October 5th, 2008, 3:52 am

$7, eh? I got a used N64 with two controllers and 5 games(including Jet force Jemini and Super Mario 64) for 10(not to mention that it also came with an SNES and PS1, though neither of them had any cords or accesories).

And I got Metroid Prime for 6 dollars, and DKR for 5 dollars.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tompa » October 5th, 2008, 8:39 am

Stone wrote:TASing the whole game, or the funny "under 4 minutes" variant?

The whole game, and it sure is hard... Will hopefully be done next year :).

I've been playing a lot of Golden Sun lately. I'm not really a fan of RPGs, but I've been able to play through some of them...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Kowbrainz » October 5th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Jomingo wrote:$7, eh? I got a used N64 with two controllers and 5 games(including Jet force Jemini and Super Mario 64) for 10(not to mention that it also came with an SNES and PS1, though neither of them had any cords or accesories).

And I got Metroid Prime for 6 dollars, and DKR for 5 dollars.

I said $7 Australian. A $50 title in the US costs $100 here, so think of it as a $2-3 game for you.
Nobody sells games for anything as cheap as that over here, though; not even on ebay.

Swing King: Yeah, I've heard that analogy before, too. Bit odd since that'd be creating a copy of something which was already copying something else (ghostbusters).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Tompa » October 6th, 2008, 1:22 am

Became tired of stupid enemy behaviour in ALttP. So I went back to the lovely DKC and saved three frames in the first level :D.

Not sure if a TAS-section is neccesary as I don't know how many in here that are actually interested in TASes.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Swing King » October 6th, 2008, 4:08 am

I started playing B-T and realized how much I fail/phail at Canary Mary.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby holysnap » October 6th, 2008, 4:02 pm

DKC2 and New Super Mario Bros with a bit off Mario kart DS on the side.
Tourist

Postby Rodent » October 20th, 2008, 8:02 pm

ALttP and DKC2. There's a few other games in there too, but they're the main ones. I'm downloading all the original DKCs so I can play them with friends more. I like my GBA ones though, portability ftw.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Gnawzooka » October 20th, 2008, 8:11 pm

I'm trying to beat the Lost World on DKC2. It's so much harder than I remember. :x
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Kowbrainz » October 20th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Agh... playing far too much right now, more than I can handle. I doubt I'll end up finishing these games soon since I keep jumping from one to another.

Anyway, I'm playing the original Megaman as well as Zelda: Windwaker on the Gamecube. I'm also having a taste of Final Fantasy III (VI) on the SNES (well, on the ROM since it wasn't released here) and I have to say that the music is kickass. Dunno about much else yet since I haven't gotten that far. I'm not the biggest fan of RPGs, not by any stretch, but I can handle them. I think. This is my first RPG outside of Pokemon and the Mario RPGs, though, so I might struggle a little bit.

I beat Luigi's Mansion the other day, which was pretty cool I suppose; I hadn't bought it until a few weeks ago and had gotten pretty far after renting it out overnight but got stuck somehow.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies is annoying me right now; I'm up to the final fight and I'm getting killed during the second phase by the dive attacks, or from being too close occasionally. I think I got his hitpoints down to 60 or something once if I recall correctly, but I dunno. I'll try again this weekend.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » October 21st, 2008, 6:55 am

I just got the original B-K on N64 for the first time. It's pretty cool.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Swing King » October 21st, 2008, 8:20 am

Don't worry Kowz, you'll beat it soon, I know I did. [size=50]Wsl, maybe soon is stretching the truth a bit.[/size]

And, nice avatar, did you make it yourself?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » October 21st, 2008, 8:34 am

That's a big lot of gaming right there, Kowz! I actually haven't played any of those... I'm not an RPG fan either, but I really enjoyed some other SNES ones, especially Secret of Mana, and the popular choice - Chrono Trigger. Haven't played 'em in ages, mind you.

Jomingo wrote:I just got the original B-K on N64 for the first time.

Ah, Jomingo... Your n00biness never ceases to amaze me. :D
I mean that lovingly, of course.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 21st, 2008, 11:08 am

Well, my list has changed:

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Mario Super Sluggers

And a little of:
Donkey Kong Country 3 (GBA)

I pretty much finished WLII and WL 3, and I'm thinking about getting DKC3 for the VC, graphics seem MUCH better, GBA doesn't have 2-player contest, I honestly like some of the music better, and when you switch kongs in the GBA version, one just goes over the other, but when you do it in the original, you get some humorous stuff to watch, :lol: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kowbrainz » October 21st, 2008, 6:22 pm

Qyz: Yeah, I played the GBA port of Secret of Mana (believe it was titled Sword of Mana but was pretty much the same game) a while ago but didn't beat it; I was playing it on my friend's GBA but I can't remember where we got up to. Chrono Trigger is another game I have to play apparently... :/

gb: Um, if you don't have it on the SNES, then sure, get the Virtual Console version. It's the physics and perhaps the sound quality which really stand out to be honest, not so much the graphics.

And Jomingo, seriously, what the hell. Maybe you're leaving out details or something, and have beaten the game before but not actually bought it, but I wouldn't have seen that coming from you. Especially when you started trying to hold up that view in the BK topic about how Banjo should have stayed how he was. But whatever. :P

Edit: No, Swingking; the avatar was done by Princess J over at the RWP forums. She's been doing all of the BK characters in her own style, and naturally my request was to see Big Butt done. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » October 22nd, 2008, 7:45 am

Well, here's a little chapter of my would be auto-biography for you:

Seeing as the original DKC came out a year after I was born, I obviously started the series quite young. Therefore, I was too young to know that many of my favorite games were all made by the same company(Rare of course). Not only that, but I was also too young to know that all of these games(ie. Banjo, DK64, DKR, Goldeneye 007, and JFG) were all on the N64. Therefore, when we were going to get a new console, the decision that was made by my brother (as he was older, and proclaimed that I didn't know how to play games anyway) chose to get a Playstation(which also put me into a very long gap of being a Crash and Spyro fan over a DK fan for a while). I did not protest to this at the time(and in the long run I'm glad, as I would have missed out on some of the excellent PS1 games I've come to know and love), until about age 7, when my nephew(who was 5, and the oldest of his siblings) got an N64. The only game I remember him owning was Goldeneye 007, but he borrowed or rented DK64 and Banjo-Kazooie several times, which I loved greatly. I still remember the B-K poster at the old rental store that used to amaze me.

So.... anyway, I played it a bunch, but that was 8 years ago. I missed it for all those fond memories, hence why I defended it in the Nuts and Bolts topic.

But things are different now. I have a job and I drive a car(with a guardian in the passenger seat), and I have the means to purchase my own consoles. So in the last year I've gotten a Wii, N64, and Sega Dreamcast, and since boughten DKR, Goldeneye 007, and now B-K, which up until saturday had alluded my purchase. I ended up with a choice of B-K for $10, or DK64 for $12. I'll get DK64 another day.

Oh, and Qyz, don't consider me a n00b for this, consider me a poor Nintendo fan stuck with a playstation for half of his life, who is now remedying the situation.

If I didn't have less than $100 dollars to my name, I would go off purchasing all the old Rare games I could get my hands on regardless of the price, but alas', I must take it one step at a time....

Yeah, so Clankers Cavern was really cool. Bubblegoop swamp was a lot easier, I currently have 9/10 of those Jiggy's(I didn't fell like playing through all of Mr. Vile's games a third time, I'll do it later). I was surprised to find Tiptup hanging out inside Tanktup's stomach.

Yeah, so after playing 5 minutes I remembered how awesome it was, and how I definately like it better than Nuts and Bolts(which will no doubt be amazing, I'm considering purchasing it before I even find the money for a 360!)

Oh, and you guy's call me a n00b? Mark at the DKU never even played the DKC trilogy until the GBA versions! Seriously, this isn't a B-K fansite, I've been playing DKC since I was in diapers so lay off!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kowbrainz » October 23rd, 2008, 12:03 am

Didn't have to post your life story... (and where is it possible to drive at 15 apart from on private property, by the way?)

Referencing someone more nooby than you doesn't make you less of a noob. :P (by the way, the whole noob thing isn't serious to let you know)

by the way: Mr Vile's challenges reset when you don't finish. You'll have to go back in again next time to try all three over again.
EDIT: WTF is with this autocorrect that keeps taking apart my abbreviations? :|

Of course, I think most people will have enjoyed the original BK more than they will be enjoying Nuts and Bolts. But I think that would've been the case even if they had revisited the old platforming style in the new game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » October 23rd, 2008, 6:04 am

You can start driver's training at age 14 and 10 months, at least where I live.

About the Mr. Vile thing, it resets after you fail, so I would have to redo anyway.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kowbrainz » October 23rd, 2008, 7:26 pm

Nevermind about Vile, misread your post; thought you said you'd reached the third game then stopped.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby PotoGamer » October 24th, 2008, 4:48 am

Right now I'm playing Tetris Party, I played it for like 5 hours straight yesterday. :shock: (but for some weird reason, I didn't have the Teris effect..) And I'm also playing DKC GBA (DK Attack), Kirby Super Star Ultra, (The TRUE Arena) and Wario Land: Shake It!
Trailblazer

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming Discussion