VisualBoyAdvance-M: The new VisualBoyAdvance

A board for emulation discussion. Logically, SNES emulation talk is what this board is for, but discussion of Game Boy, GBA, N64 and NDS emulation is also welcome. Relevance to DKC is preferable.
Forum rules
Remember; posting/requesting ROMs is not allowed. General ROM/emulation talk is fine, of course.

VisualBoyAdvance-M: The new VisualBoyAdvance

Postby Blaziken257 » September 18th, 2008, 6:53 am

A lot of people have probably heard of VisualBoyAdvance, a Game Boy/Super Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance emulator. It's one of the most popular emulators for the Game Boy series, but it also has a lot of bugs. There are also many versions that improve on it in different ways, which are all made by different people, so they are all separate.

VisualBoyAdvance-M aims to combine all these improvements into one emulator, and to make a better emulator overall. It's currently under development right now, with only a few people working on it, so it'll take a while for it to be complete. With only a few people, though, a lot has already been done, and in the direction that it's going, I'm pretty impressed with it. For one, the Full Screen feature works a lot better than previous versions -- it's less buggy, and can be done simply by hitting Escape to switch in and out of it. There are also more video filter options, and it's easier to use overall. A few bugs have been fixed, but some others are still around (such as the making AVI videos, which I nitpicked about here: http://vba-m.ngemu.com/forum/avi-record ... t-187.html), and there are even a few new ones (savestates are kinda glitchy), but they're working on fixing them.

Oh, and the sound is based off 1.8.0, which is much better than the sound in 1.7.2 (which is the version that almost everybody uses, sadly). Playing DKL3 sounded horrible in 1.7.2; it sounds much better here. Same with all other GB games, but DKL3 is one of the most affected ones.

Here's the site for this emulator: http://vba-m.ngemu.com/

You can try out the emulator and see how you like it. You need 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org) to decompress the emulator if you download it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: VisualBoyAdvance-M: The new VisualBoyAdvance

Postby Qyzbud » September 18th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Thanks for the link/info. Since [whenever I first used it], VBA has been my GB-range emulator of choice. I like the idea of these forked VBA enhancement projects being brought together into one super version... I'll have to check it out! :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sean » November 13th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Will it be able to play King of Swing without exploding on Treacherous Twister? I imagine not, since No$gba couldn't either.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Blaziken257 » November 23rd, 2008, 4:21 pm

Hey, I just found something out! VBA-M now emulates Slipslide Ride in the GBC version of DKC properly! Before, the graphics would randomly garble, but it works properly now! That drove me crazy before. (Although, the glitch wasn't limited to VisualBoyAdvance... I saw it once on another emulator, Java Boy, which is ridden with glitches anyway.)

By the way, on the subject of DKC for GBC, I heard that there are voice samples somewhere in the game. Does anybody know where they are, so that I can see if VBA-M made it better? (I'm asking this because the voice samples for some games are more accurate on VBA-M, like Pokémon Yellow...)

Oh, and as for the bit about King of Swing, I have no idea, because I've never played it before. You can always ask the people who are working on the emulator.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Return to Emulation