Floodlit Fish?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the DKC3 Port (GBA) subforum.

Floodlit Fish?

Postby nickduffy27 » March 30th, 2010, 10:39 am

I play the snes version all of the time, and I really enjoy the level "Floodlit Fish". Look up videos of the GBA version. It is seriously so bright I don't think you need to even touch the fish. It's a shame, the GBA ports messed up all 3 of the games. I'm never going to touch those.. I don't want to see one of my favorite levels a bit downgraded.
Tourist

Re: Floodlit Fish?

Postby Simion32 » March 30th, 2010, 12:55 pm

I think that was in part the fault of the original GBA because it didn't have a back light — so the graphics were overbrightened. On the GBA itself this may look decent, however if played on emulator it looks quite ugly.

I really think Rare could have gotten away with making the graphics closer to the SNES originals in anticipation of the GBA SP. They could then have just added an optional screen adjustment filter in-game, in case you were playing on an old GBA.

Of course there is always the ever-present GBA-only world, Pacifica, which is the only reason I ever bothered to play through DKC3 on GBA. Otherwise the SNES version remains the best in my opinion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 5th, 2010, 2:41 am

Eh, I'm glad they brightened it up a bit. It's cool and everything when you're sitting in your living room playing on your giant TV, but I don't think the level would've translated well to such a tiny screen without a few changes.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby nickduffy27 » April 9th, 2010, 9:08 am

Yeah I agree tiptup it's awesome especially playing in the dark. I still think those "changes" eliminated the gameplay of the whole level and ruined it. Just another water level to breeze through.
Tourist

Postby Blaziken257 » April 9th, 2010, 5:46 pm

What annoys me is that, it's much brighter in the GBA version WITHOUT hitting Gleamin' Bream than it is in the SNES version AFTER hitting Gleamin' Bream. Nice job, Rareware.

Image Image
Image Image
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby nickduffy27 » April 10th, 2010, 6:37 am

Thanks for the pictures Blaziken. That's what I meant!
Tourist

Return to Donkey Kong Country 3