Is Lightning Lookout, RNG?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the DKC3 Port (GBA) subforum.

Is Lightning Lookout, RNG?

Postby WesternTanager794 » December 28th, 2022, 1:56 pm

The lightning strikes are what I’m referring to. They seem to be completely random in spawn locations, etcetera. This seemed to be an interesting question to ask the forum in my opinion. I’m not an expert on hacking anything but DKC1. Not that I’m even an expert in DKC1! But does anyone else know the answer to this question? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Is Lightning Lookout, RNG?

Postby Kingizor » December 29th, 2022, 12:50 am

I don't know the precise algorithm but it's largely related to your current position and speed, with the time between strikes being based on some sort of counter.

After last strike there will be a number of frames until it's time for a new strike. At that point the game will prepare for the next strike by checking your current position and speed and calculating where you'll be when it's time for the full strike.

I don't know if there is a maximum distance involved, such that the calculated strike can't be further than a certain distance from where you currently are. Sounds like something a speedrunner would know... :scratch:

A good strategy is to slow down slightly when the calculation takes place and speed up so that you overtake the strike. The lightning will get you if you move at a constant speed, so a variable speed is more effective.

I only know all this from playing the game so much over the years. :kiddywin:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Re: Is Lightning Lookout, RNG?

Postby WesternTanager794 » December 29th, 2022, 7:51 am

Thank you, Kingizor! I don’t play the third nearly as much and I was curious. I have gotten the opinions of several speed runners and the general consensus is that it is sort of RNG. What you described is how I imagined it working from the times I’ve played it and when I’ve gotten struck and the times I have not. Thanks! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to Donkey Kong Country 3