Gameplay Tips & Tricks (DKC2)

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Gameplay Tips & Tricks (DKC2)

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Anyone who knows of some good tips or tricks for DKC2 can post them here.
Note: There are similar topics for DKC and DKC3

Easy ways of defeating/avoiding enemies, and getting through tough sections of levels quickly and easily are good examples.

There will be a separate topic for posting shortcuts, so don't post about actual shortcuts here.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Gameplay Tips & Tricks (DKC2)

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Spoiler!
Tricks, (for DKC2).

Kill Krunchas with only both Kongs

In order to kill Krunchas, you usually need to throw a chest, barrel, cannon ball, etc. but there is a special way to kill Krunchas without those! All you need is both kongs to perform the "team-up" move, then throw the Kong at the Kruncha, and they will die instantly.

Windy Well

Get the red balloon and letter N without having to get past the Zingers

In this level, there is a red balloon and a letter N in the air, but if you get them by jumping, you will have to avoid the Zingers, but if you have both Kongs, you can get them without worrying about the Zingers. Use the "team-up" move, and throw the Kong at the item, you will collect the item without having to worry about the Zingers.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 2:00 pm

gamer_boy997 wrote:In order to kill Krunchas, you usually need to throw a chest, barrel, cannon ball, etc. but there is a special way to kill Krunchas without those! All you need is both kongs to perform the "team-up" move, then throw the Kong at the Kruncha, and they will die instantly.

So basically you just need to throw something at them? :P

Also, there's no need to use spoilers for these tricks.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Well... yeah, but if you have both Kongs, then you don't need any barrels or chests or anything, so it's like you don't need to go through the whole level to find objects to get past Krunchas that are hazards while getting to bonus levels or stuff like that.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Fair enough, thanks for the tip. ;)

Here's one I'll share:
If you have invincibility, you don't need to use an attack to defeat enemies!

Okay, just teasing.

The real tip:
If you have invincibility, you don't need to use an attack to defeat enemies, but you will still get a speed-boost for hitting an enemy using your roll/spin attacks - even enemies like Zingers, Klampons, Klobbers and Krunchas which can't normally be attacked in such a way.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 20th, 2008, 2:28 pm

I have also seen a wierd trick where you throw your partner up in the air, you have him/her land on you, you jump up a little, you repeat it, and you can go really high up, I don't know how you do it though.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 20th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Yeah, that's a 'trick' in a way... but really it's the result of a glitch, so I probably wouldn't include it here. There are some things like this which could be seen as a trick, but also a glitch... and maybe a bit of a mystery, too! I'm not quite sure how to categorise it. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby NxCy » August 20th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Unless you have Godly reflexes (and a lot of luck), you're never going to be able to use that trick effectively in real time. You need to throw your partner up and then jump on the exact frame your partner lands back on top of you.

If I remember correctly, one of the bonuses in Glimmer's Galleon is a maze. And all of the paths which have bananas lead to dead ends.

While using Squitter, L and R are much easier to use than A is.

Rattler?/Rattly? hops about a bit if you just walk normally. If you jump while he is at the peak of one of his little hops, you will jump slightly higher than normal.
Tourist

Postby Teeth » August 22nd, 2008, 5:02 am

When teamed up, you can walk through honey. :D

They took it out of the GBA version though. :|
Tourist

Postby Qyzbud » August 22nd, 2008, 5:40 am

Ah yes, that's a good one. :)

It's a shame that it doesn't work on the GBA... but ports are silly anyway. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » August 22nd, 2008, 9:23 am

I think that's a bug. I mean, carrying a buddy over your shoulders shouldn't make it able for you to walk trough sticky floors :D
Beehive levels seem to be the less tested of the game, along with the team-up.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 9th, 2008, 9:50 am

Here's a trick I found for Rattly called, "The walk-hop attack". This trick allows you to defeat enimies with Rattly without using the 'b' button, notice his little hops as he walks? At just the right time, go toward the enemy as Rattly is about to jump, if you time it right, Rattly's little jump will defeat the baddy! NOTE: This is easier to do for smaller baddies.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » February 8th, 2009, 4:17 pm

I don't know if this is a trick in a way, but you can get Dixie/Diddy throw things inmediatily when grabbing them, much like DKC.
You remember, how in DKC you could release the Y button while carrying something and it would be thrown even before it was grabbed? In DKC2 the thing changed and you had to wait until it was grabbed for the monkey to throw it, though the same thing wasn't for jumping. In DKC you couldn't jump while grabbing something, and in DKC2 you were capable of doing so.
So, the trick is fairly easy to perform, actually; but you must know exactly how to do it. When you grab anything, press jump to make the kong inmediatily grab the object, but inmediatily after pressing jump, release Y. The result? The object would be inmediatily thrown and you won't even jump. That's because when you jump, the kong stays in the floor for like 2 or 3 frames (if I'm correct this never happened in DKC) taking impulse, and when you are grabbing something, the same physics are used and so you also stay in the floor. And since the object is carried right when the sprites change, you can throw it even before you start jumping! That's also why you don't jump, the kong didn't have time to take off ground so the game never makes you jump.

Too technical but hope you get me ^^
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Rodent » February 11th, 2009, 11:26 am

About the Kruncha throwing trick: I think if you're teamed up, you can just jump on him and he'll die. I'll check tonight on my DS.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » February 11th, 2009, 2:24 pm

That trick only works for the GBA version, if you do it in the SNES version, he'll get angry.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2