Leftover Sound from DKC1?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Leftover Sound from DKC1?

Postby WesternTanager794 » January 8th, 2023, 2:51 pm

I just came across this interesting video!

Also, is it true that Klubba’s Kiosk text is in DKC3?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Leftover Sound from DKC1?

Postby Super Luigi! » January 9th, 2023, 12:37 pm

I don't know if Klubba's text is in DKC3, but I think that video is correct.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Re: Leftover Sound from DKC1?

Postby Mattrizzle » January 10th, 2023, 5:54 am

I'll need to confirm. Many of the waveforms for Diddy's sounds in DKC1 are just DK's pitched up. It makes sense that Diddy's sounds for DKC2 would still use these, even though DK doesn't exist as a playable character.

The video uses a glitched sound effect. Squawks's spitting sound is technically a global sound effect, so the sound sequence is always loaded, but the BRR waveform called for in the sequence isn't loaded alongside the Ship Deck music. Squawks never appears in the Ship Deck levels outside hacking the game. Thus, it falls back to one of the currently loaded waveforms and uses that instead. Since Diddy and Dixie are always there as playable characters, their BRR waveforms are loaded everywhere.

Part of Klubba's text from DKC2 is left over in DKC3, but other code blocks are as well. These are never executed by the game, and likely wouldn't even work properly in DKC3, as RAM addresses and the locations of code serving the same purpose in DKC3 as DKC2 are often in different locations. Unlike DKC1 and DKC2, DKC3's dialogue text is compressed.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2