Questions for the SDK2 Editor

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Questions for the SDK2 Editor

Postby H4v0c x S4nTA » August 19th, 2017, 1:29 am

So recently I have been playing around with the SDK2 Editor in hopes of making a complete rom hack, but I have some questions I need answered before I can progress further. Hopefully this post can help others with similar questions and feel free to post yours and maybe me or someone else will have answers. With that being said here they are:

Question 1: My main problem is directing bonus barrels to a bonus room. In the first level of my hack I have 2 bonus barrels. One sends you to the first pirate panic bonus (where it needs to) but seeing as the second bonus in that level is a wall you have to break i'm kind of stuck. I had to add a warp barrel instead but it sends me to the first bonus, not the second (What I need). Over all my understanding of the editor in my opinion is fairly good but bonus barrels not so much.

Question 2: Dare I ask about custom music. I've seen it done in "Donkey Kong Country 2 Kremling's Revenge" I believe, but I can't imagine it's even remotely easy compared to SMW.

Question 3: Expanding the ROM. Is there a way to expand the rom for the sake of adding more objects to a level rather than being stuck with just what was already there? Adding more GFX is something I would also want to do if possible. More music would be cool too rather than replacing the already awesome soundtrack.

Also Here's a ZIP file with the IPS and BPS patches for my hack. Use on a Donkey Kong Country 2 US 1.0 ROM (NOT INCLUDED). Usually labeled as such: Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (U) (V1.0)
Attachments
Patches.zip
No ROMs are included in this ZIP
(12.42 KiB) Downloaded 910 times
Newcomer

Re: Questions for the SDK2 Editor

Postby Kingizor » August 19th, 2017, 4:27 am

1. Bonus entrances and exits are numbered if I recall. For each level there is a list of destinations. Bonus Barrels have a number associated with them and will generally take you to the corresponding numbered area in the destination list; a bonus barrel marked "Bonus Barrel 1" will take you to the first bonus, "Bonus Barrel 2" will take you to the second and so on. Warps and special rooms are also in this list and can sometimes mess with the ordering. I don't remember much more than that. :p

2. Super Gorilla Maker 2 has a sample editor but I don't think there is a sequencer yet. I remember Quaarage mentioning porting a number of songs by hand, so it is possible even if it's rather complex. I think there was a document somewhere detailing the DKC2 sound engine, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

3. Quaarage made a 48mbit patch and a modified build of the SDK2 editor to handle said patch. I think SGM2 is capable of working with it as well, but I'm not completely sure about that. I'm under the impression that even with that patch, you'd still be expected to move the data and pointers around yourself.

Object data tends to be packed together in a big block, with each area having a pointer towards where the data belonging to that area begins. In the unmodified game there is some empty space at either end of that block, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to write a program to recalculate all the relevant pointers allowing you to allocate more objects to a particular level. I think that theory holds for all three games.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby H4v0c x S4nTA » August 19th, 2017, 11:13 am

Wow, didn't think anyone would reply this quick. Thanks for the help. You pretty much covered everything.
As for the bonus barrel issue, turns out that the second bonus in Pirate Panic is considered to be bonus 3, so I had the right idea. also, is there a possibility that Super Gorilla Maker 2 has a translated build?
Newcomer

Postby Kingizor » August 19th, 2017, 11:24 am

There should be a language option in one of the menus. Depending on your setup there might be a minor issue at the moment with permissions as explained here.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2