Screech's Sprint

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Screech's Sprint

Postby Dr. Cactus » January 28th, 2013, 3:39 am

Question regarding the level Screech's Sprint from The Flying Krock.

The first time I got to this world, I assumed it would be a full world and would be based within the airship itself and I was rather suprised to find only one level and suprised again that it was a bramble level.

Anyway, I was replaying DKC2 the other day and I wondered, perhaps Screech's Sprint was originally intended to be part of Gloomy Gulch? :scratch:

This makes sense for a number of reason.

1. Unlike Krazy Kremland before it and K. Rool's Keep afterward, Gloomy Gulch has only 5 levels. This is rather unusual considering it is one of the game's final worlds.
  2. The theme of the level fits in very well with the theme of Gloomy Gulch. The brambles are dead and dull in colour, fitting with the ghostly theme of the world. Screech the Crow is like an evil version of Squawks. Finally, the bramble level archetype is ideal for a forest setting.
  3. If you look at the world map of Gloomy Gulch on the original SNES version of the game, there is a group of clouds above the area where Web Woods is situated. Bramble Blast in Krem Quay is situated in a group of clouds.

So, perhaps Rare originally intended it to be part of Gloomy Gulch and then decided to add it to the Flying Krock to flesh it out and make it different to the single-level world of DKC's Gangplank Galleon.

What do you guys think?

-Dr. Cactus :huh:
Newcomer
Bananas received 5

Re: Screech's Sprint

Postby Qyzbud » January 28th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Interesting theory indeed, and it does make a bit of sense... I'll give it some thought and add my musings when I get a chance. :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby EvangeliKong » January 28th, 2013, 10:24 pm

I think that makes sense. Especially if Mr. X was removed from the game
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby CaptainEddie » February 17th, 2013, 9:37 pm

That definitely makes sense.

The bramble levels appear in many worlds, so it may also be a possibility that there was originally a whole bramble-themed world that got scrapped for whatever reason and had its levels strewn about the game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2