World 7 or 8?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Do you consider the Flying Krock and its brief stages a World or merely a boss extension to World 6?

Boss Extension
33%
It's still World 7!
67%

Total votes : 21

World 7 or 8?

Postby Axis » August 7th, 2012, 9:32 am

Hello, this is the creator of Kongtraband (rom hack of DKC2 still working title) and you can find the main page here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1580. I had a question, I was always familiar with the flying krock being an extension to World 6 and I've considered the Lost World as World 7. Is Screech's Sprint and the first K. Rool battle in it's own world or really just in an extension? A new overworld screen doesn't need to mean it's a new world. What's official or what's just decided? Thanks.

Qyzbud

Kinda dead here. Go tag!

EDIT: Poll has been added to decide a clear lineament for World 6/7.
Previously "Kiddy"
Bananas received 3

Re: World 7 or 8?

Postby Gaz » August 7th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Actually, that's a good point. I never noticed that. I would've though it's an extension, due to the Flying Krock being able to move and not being a natural stand-all day ship. I'd say it's like Gangplank Galleon in Donkey Kong Country (not actually a world), but with an extra level (Screech's Sprint) added to it.

I'd say, extension!
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 7th, 2012, 2:08 pm

I consider it a world. Not only because it has (at least) one level, it also has a boss battle AND a Kong Family location (though Wrinkly Kong is as useless as ever in this one).

Though I do agree with Conker' on Gangplank Galleon being an extension, 'cause it's just ONE level.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Qyzbud » August 9th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I hear what you're saying, axis (and CBFD); having The Flying Krock be considered a 'world' does seem a bit of a stretch, doesn't it... I mean, there's just one level... no Klubba... only half of the helper Kongs appear, and if you think about it, K.Rool Duel (that's how it's spelled in-game - no space after the dot) is essentially the boss battle we miss out on in the anticlimactic Stronghold Showdown... so I must agree that it doesn't match all of what you'd expect from a typical world in the DKC series.

It does have a unique name for the boss battle (unlike in DKC), and new 'overworld screen' with a variety (however small) of locations to visit... so it's definitely more of a 'world' than DKC's Gang-Plank* Galleon (*in DKC, 'Gangplank' is hyphenated) was... but due to the lack of an actual boss in K. Rool's Keep (yep, space after the dot this time, unless you're returning from the Lost World, strangely enough...), I'm certainly willing to consider the 'extension' concept.

The main reason I've got things laid out on the site the way I have is that it's the most simple and complete way I could think to organise the pages from a taxonomical/structural perspective. It does seem odd to designate a whole world number (7) to what is essentially a single level and a delayed boss battle, but K. Rool's Keep already has six levels (until DKCR came along, five levels and a boss per world was typical, six levels was a 'big' world), so adding a new extension screen with additional challenges (plus save/transport points) is pretty extreme... but then DKC2 is quite the epic game, so that's kind of appropriate...

Hmm, it's a melon scratcher. :scratch:

I have to say, I'm leaning towards the notion of considering The Flying Krock an extension of K. Rool's Keep - mainly because without this extra challenge, the Keep would be completely devoid of an actual area guardian/boss, which is unheard of in the rest of the game (and the whole DKC series, if I recall correctly). Besides, having a 'final' world with seven levels, a fake boss/surprise twist AND a real, tough 'final' boss feels more badass than having an extra world with just one level and a boss...

What does everyone else think? Shall we take a poll?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Axis » August 9th, 2012, 3:18 pm

:scratch:
Sorry, that's just awesome. It's not relevant, just awesome.

Excuse me.

Anyway, I just would really like to see the atlas approve DKC related concepts in the series because I really like viewing the mapping project on the main site because it brings a great sense of professionalism from our point of view to the game judging the heavy detail and quality of its replication. I've seen World 8 listed everywhere: youtube, websites, etc. and I've always just happened to consider that overworld selection screens can have extensions or even side areas of different themed accomplishments. Judge DKC3, you have banana bird caves and bear house visits. Are these Worlds as well beyond Krematoa? No, they are simply listed as off-level areas that eventually wrap all your bonuses into an ending beyond what is not considered complete. Qyz made a good point with the boss subject of World 6 in DKC2 even though the tally of stages does add up to the most in the game. I'll edit a poll up into this and make it clear in the first post just because we should definitely Atlas official some concepts of the game for the sensible player. I've seen this theme before...

PLUTO IS NO LONGER A PLANET!
WORLD 8 NO LONGER EXISTS!
Previously "Kiddy"
Bananas received 3

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 23rd, 2012, 3:07 pm

Come on, you have to cut the Flying Krock some slack. It has almost everything a world normaly has.

Boss? yup

Level (normaly levels)? yup

Monkey Museum? no

Funky's Flight's II? yup

Kong Kollege? yup

Klubba's Kiosk? no, but Gangplank Galleon didn't have one ether. (probobly because the swampy backround would look wierd on a ship. :) )
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Markster » September 24th, 2012, 9:38 am

1 month bump!
----------
I consider The Flying Krock World 7, a short world though, with only 1 level and the final boss.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby The Banana Bird » January 11th, 2013, 11:19 am

:BUMP:
It can be considered a wolrd since it has all the aspects of one, at least one level, Funky's Flights, Kong Kollege , Monkey Muesuem and a boss. I believe it is one, sorry if this is to old.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » January 11th, 2013, 3:09 pm

I don't believe there is a Monkey Museum in The Flying Krock — unless there is in a version I haven't checked... :huh:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby C. D. Ryan » February 1st, 2013, 5:28 am

The tower is in the background so its part of world 7.
Newcomer

Postby Glimmer » March 19th, 2013, 4:38 am

Small world surely, but still world 7 for me. Also Screech's Sprint was such a hard level that i think it can be considered as two or three levels in the form of one.
Tourist

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2