Is Rambi nerfed?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

Is Rambi nerfed?

Postby aperson98 » September 1st, 2010, 3:27 pm

I was testing Rambi in the SDK2 editor for the last week or so, and I couldn't help noticed Rambi seemed different from his DKC1 self. It seems to me that he runs slower and his jumping ability seems to have decreased from DKC1 (unless of course you count his charge which increases his speed and jumping. Oddly enough in the GBA version Rambi seems more like his DKC1 self, but his charge (wind up and running) is slower overall. Any thoughts?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Re: Is Rambi nerfed?

Postby aperson98 » September 16th, 2010, 5:06 am

Sorry for the bump, but I recorded clips of Rambi jumping in the two games and when I compared them it all but confirmed that his jump is indeed shorter then it was in the first game.

Here is the video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozzzTI4Jm80

The pit is the same width, yet Rambi in DKC 2 can't make the jump his DKC 1 counterpart could.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » September 16th, 2010, 5:42 am

It's because Rambi isn't going as fast, so he can't make the jump. His running speed is nerfed, not the jump.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby aperson98 » September 17th, 2010, 12:16 pm

So it was his running I guess when watching it on a video it's hard to notice, either way this makes Rambi not quite the uber force he was in DKC 1. I wonder if Rare did this to balance him out with the other animal buddies.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Tompa » September 17th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Rambi's running speed is 1008 in DKC, but only 768 in DKC2.

The number means how many subpixels you are moving forward every frame. One subpixels is 1/256 pixel. So 1008 speed is slighty less than 4 pixels/frame and 768 is 3 pixels/frame.

When you use the charge attack in DKC2, Rambi's speed goes up to 1798, which is 7 pixels and 6 subpixels/frame.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Scraps69 » September 26th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Yep, what everyone said here is pretty much right.

I was testing the traction of Rambi in DKC1 and DKC2 a while ago and noticed that it's not really a matter of traction in the DKC series but more a matter of Rhino speed. Rambi is definitely generally slower in DKC2 but has that speed attack. Rambi in DKC1 speeds up.

Also, Rambi hates himself (or his twin relatives) in DKC2. If you touch Rambi 2 while riding Rambi 1 then Rambi 1 is going to get hit.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2