I want a DKC2 error message PAR code

Talk about Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for SNES and VC.
The GBA port can be discussed in the Port (GBA) subforum.

I want a DKC2 error message PAR code

Postby Markster » August 10th, 2010, 3:28 am

I want to make DKC2 have an error message, like "This product will not operate when connected to a device which makes unauthorized copies" is there any PAR codes that will make the game do that? I would like one :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Re: I want a DKC2 error message PAR code

Postby Simion32 » August 10th, 2010, 4:00 am

Hello Markster, welcome to DKC Atlas!

As far as I can remember, no one has created or accidentally discovered such a PAR code yet.

It has been on my long list of "must do this eventually" stuff for more than a few years. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » August 10th, 2010, 4:18 am

Simion32 wrote:Unnecessary quote of previous post removed by Qyzbud

I can't wait for a DKC2 PAR code that makes it have an error. One time, I loaded a DKC2 snapshot on DKC3 and DKC3 had an error, and it scared me. I had nightmares, but I tried it like 100 more times and it did not work. :(
Last edited by Qyzbud on January 31st, 2013, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar overhaul, quote removed
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » August 10th, 2010, 4:31 am

The errors are haphazard and hard to reproduce because there's a certain something that triggers the screen. That something, seems to involve what the hardware does to detect if the game is trying to be copied. if I recall correctly it tries to detect whether writing to a certain part of memory is possible... if so, then the game shuts down and displays the error.

Also, if you mean by one of those devices that hooks to your real console.... don't copy save data from one game to a different game (or even a different version of the same game). It can mess up the game cartridge entirely.

The first time you get one of these errors, take a screen shot with a Camera or something. You'll likely never see it again until someone hacks up a PAr code to force the error screen to appear.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » August 10th, 2010, 4:56 am

Simion32 wrote:Unnecessary quote of previous post removed by Qyzbud

That is some useful information. If I ever get an error screen again, I will take a picture of it, and I will try options on my emulator like running PAL on NTSC (can cause an incompatibility error), and using the SNES mouse, SNES superscope, etc. on a game that requires the controller (can sometimes have a wrong device error), but only a hand full of games do that. I'm very interested in making games have error screens.
Last edited by Qyzbud on January 31st, 2013, 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Grammar overhaul, quote removed
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby FrankMorris » August 10th, 2010, 8:14 am

It would be great to see screenshot of such screens. :o

This reminds me of GB 'error screens', when you insert GBC cartridge to the original GB, and turn the power on. You get this kind of messages:

Image Image Image

EDIT: DKC2 error screen on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxRSK6g_yU

"An irregularity has been detected..." Scary :)

DKC3 error screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0bHrfPa7uo
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Markster » August 10th, 2010, 12:54 pm

FrankMorris wrote:It would be great to see screenshot of such screens. :o

This reminds me of GB 'error screens', when you insert GBC cartridge to the original GB, and turn the power on. You get this kind of messages:

Image Image Image

EDIT: DKC2 error screen on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxRSK6g_yU

"An irregularity has been detected..." Scary :)

DKC3 error screen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0bHrfPa7uo

I took a screen shot of error messages caused by incompatibility, like running NTSC on PAL.

Shot at 2010-08-09

Shot at 2010-08-09

Shot at 2010-08-09
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Kiddy14 » August 12th, 2010, 11:53 am

I got a DKC3 "An irregularity has been detected" snapshot while using too many PAR codes at the same time, but it's in my computer in Mexico.
I'll post it when I get back if you'd like to.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Markster » August 12th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:I got a DKC3 "An irregularity has been detected" snapshot while using too many PAR codes at the same time, but it's in my computer in Mexico.
I'll post it when I get back if you'd like to.

Give me a snapshot of it, i would like it :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Kiddy14 » August 22nd, 2010, 11:49 am

I'm back! =D
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (U) [!]_00011.png
DKC3 irregularity detected
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (U) [!]_00011.png (20.1 KiB) Viewed 52672 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Markster » August 23rd, 2010, 12:19 pm

Nice, so, how many PAR codes did you use to make it do this?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Kiddy14 » August 23rd, 2010, 5:46 pm

I just remember using the "Water Level Modifier" with the "Animal Buddy Modifier", so I was Squitter while underwater in Pot Hole Panic. Got into the last autoblast barrel and when the Squitter crate was opened, the game went black and the screen showed.

I tried it again but it just wouldn't happen.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Markster » August 23rd, 2010, 8:04 pm

Did it scare you when that happened?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Kiddy14 » August 25th, 2010, 1:16 pm

No, I just didn't expect it.

If you're asking because they're usually scary, well I've always found game over screens sad, not scary =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Markster » May 30th, 2011, 9:54 am

BUMP!

DKC3 has the most scary error screen ever, my hack patch for 1, 2, and 3 may remove most of the error screen from the game, pretty cool eh, well your answer is probably no, but who cares...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby DKBert » October 16th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Hey guys, i need your help! I just bought DKC2 for SNES and when i try to start the game i always get an error message.

"This product will not operate when connected to a device which makes unauthorized copies."
"Please refer to your instruction booklet for further information"

How can i solve this problem??? I tried to reset the game again and again, the same message ALWAYS appears ... :(
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » October 16th, 2011, 1:01 pm

(A) something's wrong with either the hardware,
(B) something's on the contacts making the game think something else is between it and the SNES, or
(C) your cartridge suffered from bit rot in a way that corrupts data related to the protection error detector thing.
(D) Your SNES is pirated or hacked? Nah.... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » October 16th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Well I am not sure why it does that, I would try these following things...
----------
1. Clean the contacts of the cartridge.
2. Make sure the save battery is not dying, if it is get rid of it or replace it.
3. Make sure it is not bootleg, I know most bootleg DKC2 and DKC3 carts have this screen.
----------
I hope I helped ;)
----------
If any of mine don't work, try Simion32's answers.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby DKBert » October 17th, 2011, 11:06 am

Ok thank you for your answers guys! First of all im pretty sure the problem comes from the cartridge because all of my SNES games work perfectly (including DKC1 yayy!) I'm not really sure how to clean the cartridge ... only with a towel i guess ...? Plus i dont think its a false copy or anything like that but ... well we never know i just bought it from someone who was selling it on internet so ... theres a chance. I guess i'll have to contact him to be sure. Ill keep you informed. Thank you!
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » October 17th, 2011, 11:22 am

You'll want to use some Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol (dip a q-tip into it and then squeeze off the excess by pushing it on the edge of the cup - you don't want to saturate the cart in this stuff, you just need enough to clean it) and clean the contacts using that, then let it dry.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby DKBert » October 20th, 2011, 7:46 am

So, i just cleaned the cartridge a few time and still have this error message :( I contacted the seller who told me it happened to him a few time but that he managed to play the game anyway just by cleaning the game just as i did...

Is it possible that i dont have a compatible version of the game or something like that? I'm starting to think that the game just don't fit my SNES.
Thanks for your answers!
Newcomer

Postby Markster » March 7th, 2012, 10:32 am

Bump! (I bumped my own topic again.)
----------
Why does SDK2 and SDK3 have different error screens, they are less scary.
----------
Did you know that this was my first topic.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » March 7th, 2012, 12:06 pm

You know, I think it's rather funny the message says the game pak wasn't designed for your SNES when clearly the game is already running itself... :lol:

Even so there's no reason for region lock outs... why not just a single global design? I mean come on. People are going to buy and sell the stuff anyway (even the pirates). It'd be better to have a single hardware design, it can't be that much of a cultural issue. Also, newer hardware like Wii's actually are the same physical stuff with a software function that is basically limiting the console one way or another.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby muskawo » April 16th, 2012, 11:42 am

Hi Guys,

I joined to post this, hope that's ok.

I bought a copy of dkc2 yesterday at a market, I should have been more cautious the woman did say it "didn't work" but it looked ok so I thought maybe she just didn't have a snes anymore!

I got home and got both these error messages on different occasions. My snes isn't hacked. I tried cleaning it and it didn't work. SO I'm wondering if it could be the battery? is it worth buying the tool to open carts?

Ive never seen this before now and I've been using my snes for 20 years! was looking forward to playing this game, I only ever borrowed other people's copies when I was a kid.
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » April 16th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Battery failure will only cause failure to retain savegames. It has nothing to do with the actual game code, which is burned onto permanent ROM memory.

The cart in question probably suffered some form of "bit-rot" (data corruption due to old age). :roll:

Could also be that someone did the Castle Crush glitch on the cartridge. I think my DKC2 copy had this done to it, as it randomly erases save files every now and then for no reason.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby the_kong_br » June 22nd, 2014, 8:15 am

Kiddy14 wrote:I'm back! =D
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (U) [!]_00011.png

The music is creepy

*o* *o* *o*
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Return to Donkey Kong Country 2