If... DKC was made in RPG-style?

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

If... DKC was made in RPG-style?

Postby Yure16 » February 2nd, 2010, 11:23 am

It'll be a shame... Probably, the game wouldn't get a good response. However, now DKC give us nostalgia. If Nintendo release a Donkey Kong RPG, I'd love to play it. But I think I'd hate DKC if it was released in RPG-style 'cause I played it in my childhood. I loved Mario games, but FF games was complicated to me, such as Super Mario RPG. Now I'm a teenager and I understand RPGs. I'd love to play a RPG version of DKC trilogy.
Tourist

Re: If... DKC was made in RPG-style?

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 4th, 2010, 1:23 pm

See, I don't really get how we classify games into RPGs, non-RPGs... I mean, Donkey Kong Country 3 had a lot of RPG-like elements throughout, and if they expanded on that I think they could make it really good. It'd be better than a Mario RPG, at least.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby zaneebaslave » February 28th, 2010, 4:12 am

This would be an unforgivable sin on the DK franchise. Mostly on account of... How the heck would this make an RPG? Super Mario barely made a good RPG, but that was because it had huge amounts of enemies, and a world to build upon. Donkey Kong Country, though in my opinion a better platformer than Super Mario, has no world to build upon, not very many enemies, and even LESS story-driven than Super Mario was. We dont know why King K. Rool wants to take over the Donkey Kong island and why he wants all those bananas: Only that he does. Bowser had some intuition unlike King K. Rool. He wants the princess so that he can take over the Mushroom Kingdom. I guess Kremlins just dont like Kongs.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby old_buzzard » March 1st, 2010, 1:25 pm

Why wouldn't we be able to expand upon DKC's universe? It wouldn't be that hard at all. I don't see your logic.

In response to your K.Rool arguement, K. Rool is a psychopathic monster. He doesn't need a motivation. His own insanity is his motivation. It's what makes him such a good villain. On the other hand, he has planned out his plots (with a motivation other than his psychotic nature) in other games. In DKC3 he tried to take over the world by building KAOS. He brainwashed DK & Diddy, and so he can get them to pilot KAOS. Let's look at DK64, he tried to KILL the Kongs, so they couldn't foil his plans. Skipping ahead to DK Jungle Climber now. In this game, K.Rool shifted his focus away from the Kongs all together. He plundered the crystal bananas from the banana aliens so he could take over the entire universe.
Tourist

Postby Yure16 » March 5th, 2010, 3:16 am

old_buzzard wrote:Why wouldn't we be able to expand upon DKC's universe? It wouldn't be that hard at all. I don't see your logic.

In response to your K.Rool arguement, K. Rool is a psychopathic monster. He doesn't need a motivation. His own insanity is his motivation. It's what makes him such a good villain. On the other hand, he has planned out his plots (with a motivation other than his psychotic nature) in other games. In DKC3 he tried to take over the world by building KAOS. He brainwashed DK & Diddy, and so he can get them to pilot KAOS. Let's look at DK64, he tried to KILL the Kongs, so they couldn't foil his plans. Skipping ahead to DK Jungle Climber now. In this game, K.Rool shifted his focus away from the Kongs all together. He plundered the crystal bananas from the banana aliens so he could take over the entire universe.

I saw a DK RPG in Internet. But it's in flash and the enemies are... goombas, for example. Yes. Mario enemies. I'd love if a fan make a DKCRPG... since I have no software or harware knowledge. And yes, expand the universe would be a good idea. But, if DKC was released in RPG (in 1994), the game would get a bad response. The adventure style was a good start. I think today... a RPG would get a good response.
Tourist

Postby DK4Ever » March 5th, 2010, 6:34 pm

I think it'd be doable, and honestly, extremely interesting.

It would give them a reason to bring back a certain ape...fant.. that we all miss, and could expand upon DKC's world. Combining the DKC worlds, and the JC worlds?

Adding new worlds?

New kremlings/different monsters?

Items/weapons/attacks/etc/potato? DK64 gave us some of those.

I could see it, just needs more thought.
Treasure Hunter

Postby CM August » March 6th, 2010, 9:03 pm

A DKC RPG would be wonderful if done right. As has been mentioned, DKC3 was leaning in that direction already. Going all the way with a greater emphasis on storytelling has the potential to be a natural and extremely effective outcome. Concerns about villain motive and the like is a non-issue, as elaboration is an almost essential element of crafting an RPG in the first place.
Jungle Explorer

Return to General DKC Discussion