Do you DKCustomise your life?

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Postby Qyzbud » November 26th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Wasn't sure how to phrase the subject of this topic, but hopefully it will make sense anyway. :D

I'm wondering how people use DKC stuff to make life more interesting. Does your backyard look like a jungle, complete with swinging vines and barrels? Maybe you've decorated your house to look like Cranky's Cabin... or perhaps you've created a minecart body kit for your car...

Sadly, I have done none of these things.

Personally, I frequently use graphics/screenshots from DKC games to decorate my desktop. I also use DK sounds/music as message/ringtones for my phone. I have a couple of posters and figurines decorating my room, too... I even have a DK tie which I occasionally wear in public! Okay, so I haven't exactly carved a replica of Donkey Kong Island, but DKC certainly spills into my real life in a semi-public way.

So, do YOU DKCustomise your life?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Do you DKCustomise your life?

Postby PotoGamer » November 26th, 2008, 1:01 pm

I've only gone so far as to put DKC music as my ringtones. :( I'm thinking of DKCustomising my bedroom or gameroom in some way, such as painting it with DKC-style decorations and adding some DKC posters. Unfortunately, my bedroom might not be big enough for such decor, and my gameroom just got some new fancy furniture, combining it with DKC would be like lemonade with chocolate. :cry:
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 26th, 2008, 1:08 pm

I have never done this, I don't know if I'll ever do it, will have to wait until the future.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » November 26th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Well... let's see.

*WLM*
My avatar is Dixie and Diddy in the bayou.
My header Scene (yes, you can add a scene in 2009 Beta) is just the brambles' background.
My signature sound (in WLM 2009 too) is... the Diddy Talking sound =P
When somebody gets online, the Team-Up monkey sound plays.
When I get or send a nudge, then Monkey Scared sound when facing a boss in DKC2 plays, it matches perfectly :D

*Cellphone*
When I get a message, Diddy starts talking.
When I get a phonecall, either Mine Cart Madness, Aquatic Ambiance or Stickerbush Symphony plays xP
My cellphone's background image is usually Dixie and Kiddy next to Funky's Rentals.
Whenever I call my aunt, Diddy starts talking too XD

*PC*
My user's profile picture is Dixie and Diddy in the bayou too.

So that's everything XD

I tried making a DKC theme with Sony Ericsson Themes Creator, but it turned out a disaster (well, it may work better my resizing pictures).
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DKCplayer » November 26th, 2008, 3:47 pm

My cursor has DKC styled bananas on it, while I have made myself a sound scheme using DKC sound FX. Like it plays the DKC1 defeated sound when I turn my computer off, and the DKC1 Beat level sound for when I start it up. I also made a DKC wallpaper for my desktop. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby gamer_boy997 » November 26th, 2008, 3:51 pm

That sounds cool DKCPlayer! I have some sprite comics I could use for my desktop, but I think I might make a better comic first.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Gnawzooka » November 26th, 2008, 5:08 pm

As my friend would say:
That's pun-TERRIBLE!!!

Anyway, I've only gone as far as putting DKC music on my MP3 player. It fits awkwardly between My DBZ Budokai Music and Green Day. I assure you, the ransition from Stickerbush Symphony to American Idiot is not a smooth one. :x
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » November 26th, 2008, 11:27 pm

I haven't done much in the way of DKCustomisation, as I don't have a phone or my own computer to customise. But for my nieces 6th birthday party I made a Donkey Kong Memory game(with DK, Diddy, Cranky, a Banana, a Barrel, a Kritter, King K. Rool, Rambi Crate, Enguarde, and Funky Kong cards), and I also drew a DK murrel, copied it and pasted it to a piece of cardboard and then cut it out into puzzle pieces. Yay home made fun!

I want a DK tie sooooo.... bad. Or a Diddy hat. Or a pet Rhino.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » November 27th, 2008, 5:34 pm

Yeah, a pet Rhino would be cool. I've always wanted a crocodile though...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Qyzbud » November 27th, 2008, 10:30 pm

If you had both, you could make them have battles. But I don't think the croc would have much of a chance. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Raccoon Sam » November 28th, 2008, 12:50 am

Not really, no. I'd love to create a graffiti of the classic Donkey Kong scene to the nearby train station's tiled wall.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Jomingo » November 28th, 2008, 5:21 am

Today I was bored so I bought some posterboard and started making Donkey Kong Country Monopoly. It's pretty similar to the regular Monopoly, but you buy DKC locations instead, and everything is DKC themed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » November 28th, 2008, 8:20 am

Woohoo!

And I thought I was original having a DKC ringtone. Mine is Diddy Kong's rap when he beats one of the pirate ship levels. I've been meaning to buy a DKC shirt when I see one, but that's about it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby DK4Ever » November 28th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Lets see:

My user-account avatar on my Laptop is the DKC1 game-over image.

My ringtone is Thrash the Plank

And my wallpaper is the minecar art from DKC 1 (DK/Diddy in a minecar, a kritter coming around the corner)

And...JOMINGO! YOU MUST SHOW US THIS GAME OF YOURS! I DEMAND IT BE SO!

RAWR!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » November 29th, 2008, 3:39 am

Whoa there, don't get too excited. It's hand drawn on a piece of 49 cent poster board, not the Mona Lisa. Besides, I'm only about half finished.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Cody » December 13th, 2008, 6:16 pm

With my spare DKC cartridge, I took the sticker off and put it on the back of my iPod. I really like it like that.

I also tend to decorate my desktop/phone with DKC things, and when I get enough money, I plan on buying some good DKC stuff on eBay.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 9th, 2009, 10:58 am

Jomingo wrote:Today I was bored so I bought some posterboard and started making Donkey Kong Country Monopoly. It's pretty similar to the regular Monopoly, but you buy DKC locations instead, and everything is DKC themed.

That sounds pretty cool Jomingo, do you mind showing it to us? I really want to see it!

EDIT: I want to change my mouse cursor to something DKC like, but I need to change it to a .cur file in order to get it to work, but it just sticks with .bmp, any help?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » January 9th, 2009, 11:19 am

The only way I know of is to download an application that can convert images to cursors.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 9th, 2009, 11:24 am

Oh well, I think about that later.

Right now, I'm working on a desktop, and I need a nice, clear, non-pixily picture of the Donkey Kong Country logo, any help?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » January 9th, 2009, 11:33 am

What render? (like the box art, the title screen, etc.)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 9th, 2009, 11:53 am

I hate to say this, but I really just want the "Donkey Kong Country" part of the box art, the rest I'm making myself :roll: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » January 9th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Oh.

Cyclone can probably help you there.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 9th, 2009, 12:06 pm

I sent him a PM.

As for mouse cursors, I have a friend who has photoshop, will that work alone?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » January 9th, 2009, 12:15 pm

I don't use Photoshop, so I don't know if it can save as .cur. What frustrates me is that GIMP can save an image as a crapload of different file extentions I've never even heard of, but it can't save as a .cur :x
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 9th, 2009, 12:18 pm

Yeah, I know. All I want to do is to save it to .cur :cry: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby PotoGamer » January 9th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I checked what file extensions Photoshop files can save as, but it can't save as .cur. :( However, there might be some programs that can make cursors or something, but they might be risky...I'll check on google to see what programs/cursors I can find.

EDIT: Found: http://www.axialis.com/
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 9th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Ugh... I guess I'll just work on a desktop, because I really don't want to do this downloading stuff.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby PotoGamer » January 9th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Yeah, that'd be better, viruses are horrible...

I forgot to mention that I like to put DKC renders as my phone's background. The current one is the Watch Before You Leap one from DKC3. And for the Christmas season, I changed it to the DK64 Christmas render. I also recently replaced my MSN's sound effects with DKC sound effects, although it's weird to hear Kackle's laugh when someone leaves me a message. :lol:
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 10th, 2009, 3:37 pm

This may sound embarassing, but I don't have a cell phone yet :oops: .

Oh well, I'll probably get one soon.

Anyways, one of my parents uploaded a cursor of mario riding yoshi from Super Mario World.

This urged me to change my desktop, it's currently a mario desktop, but I think I will go find a DKC desktop to use occasionaly ;) .

EDIT: Good news! I found a desktop that isn't really DKC, but it's probably the closest we will ever get. http://ototapety.com/Donkey_kong-18898.html

There was a place where you could simply save the picture without having to download it, (probably much safer), but I can't remember the name of the site.

EDIT 2: Found one! http://perfectconversion.net/downloads.htm
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » January 10th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Looks pretty cool.

http://ototapety.com/Donkey_kong-18898.html

ototapety? :|

What the crapety? :lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 11th, 2009, 2:09 am

That's pretty cool, but when the DKC3 GBA site was still up you could get wallpapers, screensavers, icons, and stuff like that. I still have the screensaver, but I don't know where the rest of it is... Which makes me kind of sad.

I don't really express my DKC-ness at school, but really close friends and family know how much of a geek I am. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » January 11th, 2009, 2:38 am

Same here.

No one at my school plays DKC, so I try to keep it on a low level near my friends (and on MySpace).
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » January 11th, 2009, 10:50 am

I guess being a few years older, I'm from a generation that grew up with DKC being the best/coolest/newest game out, so pretty much all of my friends who actually played Donkey Kong Country have very fond memories of it... or still play it today, but that's less common. If it weren't for DKC Atlas, I could probably pass as regular, non-obsessive fan... but then, why would I want to? :lol:

Further proof that I have no intention of hiding my ape admiration; I'm planning to get my surfboard painted to look like one of Funky's boards, or alternatively to have a picture of Funky and the word 'Hangtendo!' on it. Oh yeah. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CaptainEddie » January 11th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Geez, ll I did was put the DKC2 boss theme(King Sting!) to my messages. But then I got a new phone, and lost the ringtone.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 11th, 2009, 1:41 pm

I downloaded more cursors, none of them are DKC, yes I know it's depressing, but the only DKC cursors I can find are at a website that I don't feel confortable with, and it doesn't show me the cursors, forcing people to download them before they can see them :evil: .

EDIT: If you really want to go to that site really badly, it's http://www.donkeykongonline.com/.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » January 11th, 2009, 2:17 pm

I scanned (for viruses) and downloaded them. This is what they look like:
The attachment DKCenemies.png is no longer available

They're pretty cool. :mrgreen: The only drawbacks are that some of the animated ones don't have enough frames for a smooth animation, and there's no link select cursor.
Attachments
DKCenemies.png
DKCenemies.png (19.04 KiB) Viewed 74463 times
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby PotoGamer » January 11th, 2009, 2:34 pm

I knew someone would upload them! :D They're nice, but too blurry.

I plan on customizing my laptop more when my sister goes to college and I get this computer as my own. But for now, I'm happy with my DKC ringtones and MSN sounds. Plus, I have the whole DKC/DKL/GBA trilogy on my iPod, so there's almost 15% DKC music on it. :o
Trailblazer

Postby BlueTronic » January 11th, 2009, 2:41 pm

PotoGamer wrote:They're nice, but too blurry.

That's because the icons are twice as big as the mouse cursor. They wont look blury at all when you use them as your computer cursor.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 11th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Hmm... those icons do look pretty cool, but for now, I'm pretty happy with my cursors, but I might change them soon.

Thanks for showing them and checking for viruses Kong-fu!

EDIT: Is it possible for you to post them in normal size?

EDIT 2: What does AppStarting and No mean?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » January 11th, 2009, 3:16 pm

AppStarting must be the 'working in background' cursor (normally, it looks like an arrow with an hour glass on the side). Usually you see it when an application is starting up.

'No' is the cursor that shows up when something is unavailable (it normally looks like a red circle with a line through it).
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 11th, 2009, 3:26 pm

I see now...

Are you able to show these cursors in normal size?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 12th, 2009, 4:46 am

I must've downloaded those things months ago, but they were annoying my family so I had to take them off. :cry:

Spoiler!
I really hate these smilies.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » January 12th, 2009, 10:06 am

Geez, Tiptup... stop bickering about the darn smilies! :x :roll: :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » January 12th, 2009, 5:44 pm

I'm pretty sure we all know I do.

Aside from the tattoo, I cant really say I do though. I had a DK desktop wallpaper, but I have a new computer and just havent take the time out to get another. I wish I had a poster or something. :(
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » January 13th, 2009, 9:11 am

Heh, even if you never played a DK game again, nobody would question that you're a true fan. :lol:

You deserve to be awarded a poster - for the pain you've endured to immortalise the DK emblem on your own flesh. You ought to send Rare a photo to show them what kind of craziness they've caused by their brilliance... You'd probably get some kind of booby prize. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 13th, 2009, 10:33 am

Qyzbud wrote:Geez, Tiptup... stop bickering about the darn smilies! :x :roll: :lol:

I'm sorry! I don't want people to perceive me as the forum's Negative Nancy or anything, so I'll be quiet about them now. Also, Nick's tattoo is definitely prize-worthy, but... the boob thing would be pushing it, I think.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Gnawzooka » January 13th, 2009, 12:51 pm

I hate them too, tiptup.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Rodent » January 13th, 2009, 1:45 pm

nickp17 wrote:I'm pretty sure we all know I do.

Aside from the tattoo, I cant really say I do though. I had a DK desktop wallpaper, but I have a new computer and just havent take the time out to get another. I wish I had a poster or something. :(
I've got a DK64 poster in my room. It has Donkey and Diddy in a minekart. I like it. :D

Can I see this tattoo?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Next

Return to General DKC Discussion