The Donkey Kong Country TV Show

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

The Donkey Kong Country TV Show

Postby Jomingo » February 25th, 2008, 2:58 am

Well, this is the topic where we can discuss the quality of the old DKC TV show. I will wait for a few other posts before posting my opinion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: DKC TV show: Good or Bad?

Postby cfh » February 25th, 2008, 3:03 am

Good for a low-budget children's show. Obviously, if you're older it sucks.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » February 25th, 2008, 4:06 am

Yeah, I remember liking it when I was like 5, but now when I watch it it's just stupid.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 25th, 2008, 4:29 am

Heck, I love the show, and I'm... uh, older. I just can't explain it. I know it sucks, but it has this certain charm to it that makes it watchable. Personally, I like the episode where Cranky meets his younger self and realizes that he's just not cool anymore.

Funny television!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » February 26th, 2008, 7:12 am

The only one I can remember is the Crystal Coconut episode.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » February 26th, 2008, 8:00 am

Crystal Coconut episode? Weren't they all about the Crystal Coconut?

How does a coconut become crystal, anyway? :?
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » February 26th, 2008, 10:13 am

I don't know, all I know is that it's the one that came out on VHS, the movie or whatever.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » February 26th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Oh I know what you mean, that was several episodes combined.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » February 27th, 2008, 8:17 am

Oh, yeah. I rented it once, and didn't want to take it back to the store. I wanted to keep watching it. That was a long time ago.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tompa » February 27th, 2008, 8:48 am

I haven't seen it. I was thinking about downloading it but I don't know if it will be worth it or not... =P Haven't heard anyone say that it was the greatest show ever and a must for all DKC lovers.

But it seems like people in here liked it so I might give it a shot ^^.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Jomingo » February 27th, 2008, 8:54 am

Well, most of us used to like it. But when you are older you see how bad it really is, and if I remember correctly it's even worse for a DK fan.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » February 27th, 2008, 9:13 am

It's probably on YouTube anyway.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » February 27th, 2008, 10:51 am

I actually quite enjoy the show.

I know there are many things about it that could be changed (some character voices) or removed (most, maybe all of the songs), but I think it's a pretty decent adaption of the game's premise.

The humour is pretty silly, but often quite clever and fitting. I really enjoy the way Klump and Krusha are portrayed; to me, it feels like they are taken straight from the game and allowed to just be themselves. They are a very humorous duo, and I think Klump's jokes and foolish babblings are a highlight for me.

The DKC show really could have benefitted from a couple of animal buddies making an appearance. Apart from the apes and lizards, the whole show is pretty much devoid of animal life. That's pretty un-DKC, and the atmosphere suffers big time.

Those are a few of my thoughs.

Those interested could take a peek at Kongo Valley, my DKC TV show website, which was my main DKC project prior to DKC Atlas. I was actually working on a redesign for Kongo Valley, but decided to put all of my energy into this site instead. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » February 27th, 2008, 11:49 am

Oh, I've seen that website before!
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » February 27th, 2008, 12:25 pm

For those of you who don't like the DKC television show, check out the Donkey Kong Country Warped series, starting with Klump's Humps and ending at the Search for Crappy. It really highlights some of the show's finer points, even if it is in a retarded YouTube Poop format. I like the segments where the Kremlings dance! :D

Also, there's the Penish Octember Special. Very educational.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » February 28th, 2008, 8:15 am

I didn't know that Qyzbud made Kongo Valley too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » February 28th, 2008, 8:50 am

He's made quite a few DKC things on the web. He designed the game Dixie Kong's Dream, which first inspired the DKC Level Builder. That was about 3 years ago now.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » February 28th, 2008, 8:54 am

Cool, I had no idea. Qyzbud has been very busy, indeed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby rarenut » February 29th, 2008, 4:28 am

I had the VCR,and saw one episode, but I did'nt like it though. Even though the show will be my prefered source for my Youtube Poops (More on that later.).
Newcomer

Postby Jomingo » February 29th, 2008, 8:38 am

I have to admit, I am intrigued by the aforementioned Youtube Poops. I am very curious, indeed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » February 29th, 2008, 10:16 am

YouTube poops generally suck.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » March 1st, 2008, 7:11 am

And what would these "poops" be, exactly?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 1st, 2008, 8:21 am

Oh my god... You don't know what a YouTube Poop is? I've never had a way with words, but I'll try and explain it. It's like, clips from a certain show or game, but they actually make it funny by putting audio clips on certain parts and repeating stuff lots of times. Famous poop phrases include King Harkinian's "Mah boi", Mario's "uctions", and "I wonder what's for dinner...".

It's a shame you can't watch them, Jomingo.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby cfh » March 1st, 2008, 8:35 am

They remix the videos: slowing down, speeding up, re-coloring, etc. Don't watch any of them.
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Youtube_Poop
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » March 1st, 2008, 11:58 am

OK, I wouldn't know anyway, I don't use Youtube. I have dialup, which makes it difficult to watch videos.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » March 1st, 2008, 4:41 pm

Don't you get broadband on Krypton?

I guess the technology there got set back a little when the planet... you know, exploded. :roll:

I thought those DKC TV show spoofs/poops were in bad taste. The only thing that kept everyone from disliking the show was its lack of stupid toilet humour, but it looks like stupid, dirty minds can find stupid and dirty references wherever they look.

:|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » March 2nd, 2008, 9:42 am

Well, they only let the rich people have broadband over here. All the rest of us are stuck with dial up. Oh, and that whole explosion thing was just the media making a big deal out of things, only about half the planet exploded.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » March 2nd, 2008, 12:32 pm

That's the half I was on :(
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 2nd, 2008, 1:13 pm

As for the DKC TV show, I really liked the way they incorporated so much vine-swinging and mine cart riding. That was great. Things like that which paid respect to the DKC games were what made this show enjoyable to me. Diddy even threw his hat to the ground and stomped on it in a couple of episodes!

Great little touches, I thought.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 2nd, 2008, 4:46 pm

I personally didt like it but I'm glad they done something of the nature.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby CM August » March 2nd, 2008, 9:26 pm

I thought it was dreadful all around. There's some fun, lighthearted humor to be had, but it doesn't make up for such a huge waste of potential.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 5th, 2008, 7:09 am

K. Rool is hilarious in this show. I just sat down to watch a few episodes, and I can't stop laughing at the "frowning duck bill syndrome."
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Stone » March 7th, 2008, 11:21 am

mhh, I never watched regularly, but i think the german voice actors did their job very bad. I've read an article in germany's official Nintendo magazine (Club Nintendo) very long ago, that someone works on this series and I always hoped it would do justice to the name DKC, but it didn't turn out that well :cry:
They should have been using Rare's 3D-models, too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby cfh » March 7th, 2008, 11:28 am

Good idea, but... using Rare's models would require using the same expensive machines... that's millions of dollars. It was pretty ambitious of them to do CGI in the first place.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 7th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Super expensive perhaps... but you get what you pay for, eh? Just look at those CG animated ads they put out for the games... Nice! If the show looked that good, I'm sure a couple of poorly voiced characters would have been forgiven. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » March 8th, 2008, 5:30 am

Definately, that would've made a huge difference.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » March 8th, 2008, 6:56 am

There would still be singing... But I guess it can't be too serious. How would you guys have made the series?
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 8:34 am

Basically, I'd just remove the Crystal Coconut. I always hated that thing.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » March 10th, 2008, 2:15 am

That would remove 80% of the show's plot!

...which would be a good thing, because perhaps then we would get a decent storyline with a bit of meaning to it. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Diddy_Gal » March 31st, 2008, 6:05 am

I remember this show in 2000 and I was eight years old. And the only episodes I watched is Monkey Seer, Monkey Do and Baby Kong Blues.
But right now in my thoughts the show was kinda corny and weird.:| and they have some of the episodes on Youtube.(Not all of them.)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 31st, 2008, 12:32 pm

I just watched a few episodes of this, and man... Klump and Krusha are hilarious. Anything with them is good.

As for the rest of the show, though... :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby HuntMac » March 31st, 2008, 2:21 pm

I, for one, actually really liked this show. I don't remember how old I was when I was watching it (born in 91), so I'm thinking I was 7-9 when it came out. I'm actually waiting for this series to have it's "complete series" on DVD, seeing as all of the Mario Bros. cartoons got to be on DVD, why can't this show?
Newcomer

Postby Jomingo » April 1st, 2008, 10:55 am

Well, I don't think that their were very many episodes, and it definately wasn't the most popular show ever. I doubt they'll come out with a dvd.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Qyzbud » April 1st, 2008, 1:09 pm

There were 40 episodes, and actually two 'full' DVDs have been released (I have them both), and even a couple of single episode DVDs came out. That said, it was a few years ago... I'm starting to doubt we'll see any more come out, after all this time.

Here's the relevant info from my DKC TV show site, Kongo Valley:
Kongo Valley/Qyzzy wrote:Although new episodes are no longer being produced, there have been a few DVD releases in recent years. The most recent example, a DVD of four season 2 episodes entitled 'Donkey Kong Country Vol 1', was released in Australia in 2005 by distributor 'Magna Pacific', and two single-episode DVDs are available, so it seems possible that more episodes of the show could be released on DVD.

I for one would love to have the whole series on DVD. I have actually been part of a project aiming to track down all episodes and provide them via torrent, but I've had to give my efforts there a break to focus on DKC Atlas.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Myuu » April 13th, 2008, 8:16 am

I waited forever for Qyzzy to finish Dixie's Dream but........
On Probation

Postby Qyzbud » April 13th, 2008, 1:01 pm

... :roll:

This really isn't the thread for such a comment. Come to think of it, said comment needs a little more thought put into it before it's ready to be posted in any thread.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Myuu » April 14th, 2008, 8:55 am

Qyzzy I was in topic. You said you made Kongo Valley, someone said they didn't know you made Kongo Valley, someone said you made a lot of site including the DK Database, then someone talked about Dixie's Dream. So you were wrong.

Qyzbud wrote:... :roll:

This really isn't the thread for such a comment. Come to think of it, said comment needs a little more thought put into it before it's ready to be posted in any thread.
On Probation

OFFICIAL WARNING

Postby Qyzbud » April 14th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Spoiler!
Myuu.

The TOPIC is DKC TV show: Good or Bad?

Your post was nothing to do with the topic.

My old DK Database site was never mentioned in this topic, board or even the whole forum. Dixie Kong's Dream was mentioned in passing long ago, but as you can see, this topic is not about such matters. Your comment didn't stand to help/inform/interest anyone, and even if it did, this isn't the place for discussing fangames.

You may start a topic on the DKC Related Projects board, if you wish to discuss DKD (or other DKC related fangames/projects), but I strongly advise that you read and understand the rules before posting again.

Pay particular attention to the ones you have already overstepped:
  • Be respectful to fellow forum goers.
  • Only post if you have something worthwhile to share.
  • Please keep all posts on-topic.
  • Please avoid quoting an entire post, especially if you are posting directly beneath it.
  • Don't post in or 'bump' old topics if you have nothing significant to add.
  • Do not disobey any reasonable requests of the forum Administrator or Moderators.

Not a rule, but you had better pay attention: Don't say that I'm wrong, especially when you are the one who is wrong. If you think I am in error, explain your case without making accusations. I don't post any messages without thinking them through, so it's not likely that I'm wrong when I make assertions such as those in my previous post. Besides, around DKC Atlas, I am the law. I don't look kindly upon those who seek to cause trouble or 'bend' the rules.

I'm issuing DKC Atlas' first OFFICIAL WARNING to Myuu.

Read the rules, and shape up quick-smart, or you won't be posting here for much longer.

______
This post is technically off-topic, and specifically addressed to one member. However, I want others to be aware of what not to do, and what happens if you overstep the forum rules.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » April 14th, 2008, 1:38 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm scared
Never saw you talking like that Qyz, but you're right, you're the law here.

Ahem.... Returning to the topic:
The show is ok, I like Klump and Krusha, but I never like how big DK's butt was (that didn't sound right =S XD), and how Candy was redisigned and Dixie was given a lower role in the Series (apart from her shorter ponytail, which was her main characteristic). Still, the voices were well chosen.
One thing I would have liked it to have is Kiddy Kong, Wrinkly and Swanky, it would bring the Series a better DKC feeling.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » April 14th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Yes, I very rarely talk like that, as I don't enjoy telling people off. Let's hope that doesn't happen again any time soon. :)

I agree that the show lacked a lot of essential DKC features. Missing so many of the Kong family members was a big downside, same with the lack of baddies, bosses, animal friends and so forth... The DKC show really lacked wildlife. I think it was a little more 'humanised' than it should have been. I mean, I know that even in the games all the Kongs and Kremlings are quite human-like, but I think the TV show took things too far that way. More emphasis on animal life would have been great.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Next

Return to General DKC Discussion