Donkey Kong merchandise/collectables

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Donkey Kong merchandise/collectables

Postby Qyzbud » October 2nd, 2008, 1:26 pm

Do you have any Donkey Kong-related figurines, t-shirts, stationary, etc.?

Maybe you've noticed the big guy's mug on food or drink packaging somewhere...

Discuss any DK clothing, toys, and other merchandise/collectables here.

Photos would be great!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Donkey Kong merchandise/collectables

Postby Kowbrainz » October 2nd, 2008, 1:38 pm

I remember seeing a cheap, print on Donkey Kong shirt once at a shop called Jay Jays if I recall correctly, but didn't buy it.

I don't get too much in terms of merchandise, but I do like to collect posters of games. I've imported a few Nintendo Power ones from the DKC trilogy and Diddy Kong Racing. Photos may come soon.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » October 2nd, 2008, 2:06 pm

Cool. :) I've seen a couple of DK related t-shirts at Jay Jay's... in fact, I'm wearing one of them!
Spoiler!

The items I'm holding, which can't be seen very well in that shot, (thanks anyway, mum!) are the birthday presents I was given yesterday:

Apparently my little brother Leif found this wonderful can of 'Jungle Juice' at a store called 'Shin Tokyo'. Made in the USA, the drink itself is loaded with scary amounts of Taurine, Caffeine, Inositol, Guarana and... Panax Ginseng extract?! As a result, I haven't been game enough to try it - despite the fact that it carries the Official Nintendo Seal of quality. :P

Not sure where this came from, but I was also given this rather trendy DK pin/badge. There are probably many others out there, I'd say!

I'll share a few more trinkets when I get an opportunity.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby DK4Ever » October 2nd, 2008, 2:32 pm

That shirt...is...AWESOME.

But, sadly, I only have a couple DK plushies, and game guides. (All of Dk64)

Hopefully some time in the future, I'll go scavenging, and find as many as I can. :)
Treasure Hunter

Postby Stone » October 2nd, 2008, 9:25 pm

I don't know which thread I've already posted it in, but here is merchandise back from the 90's:
This is the model with a chain, there were also a Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong and Krusha all without chains.
Should have bought all of them, but you don't have much money as a little kid, do you? ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Swing King » October 3rd, 2008, 7:11 am

I used to have a DKC shirt, but I currently have no idea where it is. (Check the DKU's Insanity and Back feature)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby DKCplayer » October 3rd, 2008, 10:11 am

I have a DKC drink bottle from when I was smaller. It has Funky surfing on top of the Nintendo logo while two Chomps are swimming towards him. Near the top, it has DK and Diddy near the DK logo.

Also not too long ago in a crane machine, I saw some DK dolls in there. :D I wanted to try get one but I had no coins with me. Plus I never used a crane machine before... :?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Diddy_Gal » October 3rd, 2008, 1:11 pm

I'm trying to collect DK Plushies all over the Internet.
Spoiler!
Picture0029.jpg
Picture0029.jpg (106.45 KiB) Viewed 86922 times

You've already saw my Diddy plushie before. Oh, and nice Donkey Kong shirt, Qyzbud!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby Gnawzooka » October 3rd, 2008, 6:02 pm

I had a DK figurine once. It might still be around somewhere, but I'm really not sure.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Qyzbud » October 4th, 2008, 11:11 am

Here are a couple of figurines and 'action figures' I've collected over time...

Image Image

The first is a solid keychain toy, while the rest have moveable arms and legs. The last two (Kiddy & DK) have little 'buttons' on the back which can be pushed and released to make the Kongs pound their chests. They were sold as a set of two at my local Toys R Us store around the release of DK64, I think.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » October 4th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Kiddy looks awesome ^^
Though the proportions are not correct (Kiddy should be about the same size as DK), it may not look ok as many people see him as a baby xP

I don't have any kind of DK collectible though; I was introduced at DKC at such a short age, I didn't even know there were those kind of perchandise (I think they weren't even sold in here). And got back to it just the last year...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Kowbrainz » October 4th, 2008, 11:25 pm

Nice shirt, Qyz. The one I saw was a black one with DK and Diddy on the front, I believe from the promotional art which was released with DKC on the GBA.
Oh, and I recognise that keyring DK on the far left - it's from HJ's, right? I got one of those, too, but I'm not exactly sure where he's gone unfortunately... :|
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby swoopysalvo » October 5th, 2008, 7:01 am

Actually Kiddy14 Kiddy was about the same height as Dixie in the artwork who was smaller then DK when he stood on two feet like the action figure is. They most likely took from that. But I love that Kiddy Kong toy.

I used to have some DKC action figures around the time DK64 came out but being a kid I lost them.
Tourist

Postby Tompa » October 5th, 2008, 8:37 am

I have a Mario Kart car which Donkey Kong is driving, and one with Mario as well.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 11th, 2008, 10:03 am

Qyzbud wrote:Here are a couple of figurines and 'action figures' I've collected over time...

The last two (Kiddy & DK) have little 'buttons' on the back which can be pushed and released to make the Kongs pound their chests. They were sold as a set of two at my local Toys R Us store around the release of DK64, I think.

I have two sets of the DK and Kiddy combo in that series! I bought a new one a few years back because I broke the right arm off of my Kiddy toy. I also have Cranky, Funky, Diddy, Vine Swingin' DK, and standalone DK. My grandma used to buy them for me when I was little, so I'm quite familiar with the Donkey Kong toy market. :P

I also own...
- A set of four DK, Diddy, Funky and Cranky plushies with plastic heads.
- A DK Barrel with another DK plushie in it.
- Donkey Kong drawing books.
- A Donkey Kong toy with his kart from Mario Kart 64.
- An eleven-piece Mario gashapon set that includes Donkey Kong.
- A Donkey Kong puppet from the arcade era. (Made in 1982, I think.)
- Also from the arcade era, a set of Topps Donkey Kong bubble gum cards with stickers and a scratch-off game.
- A near-complete set of Donkey Kong 64 Lunchables trading cards. I'm missing Diddy.
- An interestingly made Donkey Kong stuffed animal from the 64-bit Mario era, purchased at Gamestop.
- Some kick-ass armor for the Nintendo DS Lite that prominently features Donkey Kong and Diddy on the front.
- And I had a Donkey Kong lollipop, but I ate it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » October 11th, 2008, 12:23 pm

PHOTOS!! (plz)

I'd love to check out all of those wonderful goodies. Perhaps you could make a sequel to iGet a Webcam, guest starring that crock of collectables. I had better hunt down my brother's DKC water bottle and lunchbox - I was so jealous that he was given both of those, whereas I've always been the true DK fan... :evil:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 11th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Alright Qyz, I'll do it! Unfortunately, I left most of my merchandise in my grandparents' garage last month when I moved seven hundred and fifty miles away, so I won't have the entire collection. :P

And I had to change the name of the video (which you'll see by clicking on the link) because of some *adult-oriented* related videos, which are gone now. You mention a webcam and the whole world goes nuts, know what I mean? :roll:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Cody » October 18th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Nice shirt, Qyz! I actually have a similar shirt:
Spoiler!

I like yours better, though. ;)

DKCplayer wrote:Also not too long ago in a crane machine, I saw some DK dolls in there. :D I wanted to try get one but I had no coins with me. Plus I never used a crane machine before... :?

Hah, I have a funny story to share regarding that: Back in early 2006, I spent my last two quarters on the crane machine. I was aiming for a tiger (I didn't even see Donkey Kong), but being the cheapskate machines are known for, the crane completely missed the tiger and latched onto a brown stuffed animal (it was buried under others so I couldn't tell what it was). As the crane pulled up, I realized who it was: It was my good pal, Donkey Kong! A smile graced my face and I kept it - I still have that doll to this day. Because, as Jomingo said, "Girls come and go. Donkey Kong lasts forever."
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » October 20th, 2008, 1:26 am

Cody/Jomingo wrote: "Girls come and go. Donkey Kong lasts forever."

Amen, amen, amen!

That is a funny story of good fortune. Missing that tiger toy was quite a serendipidous thing to do, eh? You must've been pretty happy to get the brown toy afterall. ;) I'm surprised that a DK fan as devoted as yourself wouldn't have recognised the big ape even if he was completely obscured by other toys... Where was your radar DeeKay-dar back then? :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » October 20th, 2008, 6:54 am

Seriously, was there something wrong with your Spidey[ DK sense? That was a pretty fortunate blunder though.

Off topic: Isn't it wierd when people quote sayings of yours when you don't even remember saying it?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Rodent » October 20th, 2008, 6:45 pm

I'm gonna invest in more video game memorabillia soon. DK stuff is high up on the list.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » October 21st, 2008, 12:39 pm

Wow, you guys have some great collectables! I only have two DK plushies, and when you squeeze them, they make the sound that plays when DK is idle in DKC! I also have some DK bubblegum yoyo and a lollipop I bought at GameStop, along with a Mario bubblegum yoyo and a lollipop! Believe it or not, I STILL haven't eaten them. (And it's been almost 2 years since I got them, but they're still okay and not ant-infested...)
Trailblazer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 17th, 2008, 5:39 am

Well, Qyz, you asked for it... Here's the video! (video unavailable as of Nov 2015)

And pictures: (images unavailable as of Nov 2015)
Spoiler!

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby PotoGamer » November 17th, 2008, 5:50 am

Wow! Those are some AWESOME plushies! The first one seems really rare (no pun intended), and I think I have the DK in the third picture, does anything happen when you squeeze it?

I also forgot to mention that I own the DKC OST (I accidentally bought the European version, so the back of the CD case has a different design, and unfortunately, the CD doesn't include the bonus tracks that appear in the American version. :( ) and the DKC3 OST. For some reason, the CD case is flat, so maybe it was bundled with a magazine? I got them on eBay, and I was lucky enough that they were selling them at the time that I wanted the music!
Trailblazer

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 17th, 2008, 5:55 am

...No, nothing happens to that DK when you squeeze him. But thanks! :D

EDIT: Okay... I'm feeling kinda lonely now 'cuz only one person here said anything about mah stuff. I was specifically looking for Qyz's reaction, but whatever. :(

EDIT EDIT: Okay, I is happy now.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » November 23rd, 2008, 7:39 pm

Hey I finally got to a real computer so I could check out your collection, Tiptup... very nice toys, mate! That's the best DK plush collection I've ever seen by a long shot - you must be proud of those! I like that DK banana frisbee; awesomeness. I want to borrow it next time I go to the park. :)

I'm not sure about that 'baby DK' or whatever it is - the first of the photos you posted... are you sure that's a DK toy? Doesn't look like a familiar character to me. I guess it almost looks like DK Jr... Maybe?

Well sorry to leave you hanging for a response... It's been a busy weekend... er, well I just got back from playing through both DKC and DKC2 in 2-player team mode at a friend's place (she and her sister are both DK fans, and are amazingly good at the games!), so that's pretty much my excuse. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Rodent » November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 pm

You marry that girl now, Qyz.

I think the first picture you were confused about may be an Arcade era toy.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » November 23rd, 2008, 11:45 pm

Rodent wrote:You marry that girl now, Qyz.

Hahaha, yeah good call! It's pretty much what I look for in a woman. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 24th, 2008, 1:45 am

Yeah Qyz, I already put a comment on the video about that first toy; it's from the arcade era. I once lost a bid on eBay for a set of four DK arcade figures from Coleco... It included Jumpman, Pauline, DK and DK Jr. I left the bid open in a different tab but then forgot about it, and when I came back the auction had been over for half an hour. Anyone who knows the merchandise field would've jumped at a chance to get those, I can assure you.

The girl I'm trying to get it on with right now wants to be an orthodontist. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » November 24th, 2008, 11:03 pm

Qyzbud wrote:
Rodent wrote:You marry that girl now, Qyz.

Hahaha, yeah good call! It's pretty much what I look for in a woman. :lol:

Well, of course looks and personality are second priority to liking Donkey Kong.

Tiptup: That sucks about the auction. D: Have you got a pic of the figures now?

I can't use eBay, hence someone gets me the Diddy Kong for my birthday. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » November 25th, 2008, 2:31 am

Yeah, that's not DK it's Cranky in his younger days... ;)

Anyhoozer, that's a mighty fine collection you got there. I want it. NOW.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 25th, 2008, 7:41 am

Rodent wrote:Tiptup: That sucks about the auction. D: Have you got a pic of the figures now?

Yeah, here's the internet's only picture of the four of them together:

*cries* :cry:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » November 25th, 2008, 10:36 am

How much did they end up going for?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 25th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Sixteen bucks. Good night!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » November 30th, 2008, 3:00 pm

Holy crap, I saw the set of plushies that Tiptup has listed on eBay. I need eBay!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » December 3rd, 2008, 10:20 am

YES! Do it, man! :o

...I found Cranky Kong's jacket yesterday, so I might post a picture of him with clothes on later.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » December 3rd, 2008, 4:33 pm

Dad said he's thinking about it. The auctions end Saturday night at 1am (they're all listed seperately), and they're about $2.50 each at the moment. The Diddy Kong one is the one I want most, so hopefully by watching how the others all go, I'll be able to snag that one at least. Hopefully he'll combine postage too.

Ehh! If I miss out on this, I won't be happy!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » December 6th, 2008, 7:40 am

Cool. Best of luck in the auctions! :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Tiptup Jr. » December 8th, 2008, 8:16 am

Eh, sorry. You don't seem too sad about it though! :lol:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » December 10th, 2008, 5:43 pm

If I can find any sorta Diddy Kong beanie, I'll be alright.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 13th, 2009, 4:53 am

Some more DK collectibles from the Christmas and Easter seasons . . . (images unavailable as of Nov 2015)
Spoiler!
Hot Wheels Donkey Kong Monster truck.
Donkey Kong DS stylus with strap.
A Mario Kart toy with Donkey Kong that really goes! :D
A bigger version of the DK Monster truck that goes when you pull it back.
Nintendo Monopoly (Collector's Edition - only available at GameStop.)
The Donkey Kong spaces on said Monopoly game.
The DK Barrel token. And a close-up of my fingers.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Gnawzooka » April 13th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Wow, your fingers are so cool!!! :lol:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Cosmicman » May 3rd, 2009, 3:38 am

Just got this at Walmart .

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Stone » May 4th, 2009, 5:33 am

Donkey Kong really likes fast cars. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 5th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Got these for my birthday. I've never seen that DK render before! I assume it's for Jungle Climber, as it resembles Donkey Kong in that game. There are (two of each, I think... a total of eight) DK, Diddy, Mario, and Yoshi gummies in there. I don't know if I'll ever eat them. :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » June 6th, 2010, 6:41 am

That is Diddy's JC model, but it's also been used in a few sport games so that's probably why it's used here. Still, that's interesting that they would package a "Super Mario" gummy set with half Donkey Kong characters...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Ribbedebie » October 2nd, 2010, 4:42 am

Sorry for the bump but this thread is just too cool, I love merchandise 8D

Speaking of which, I've just won a plush Diddy at a fair. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » October 2nd, 2010, 8:20 pm

Pics or it didn't happen!

Well for a bump like that I think a photo's in order... ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Next

Return to General DKC Discussion