Music That Inspired the Soundtracks of the DKC Trilogy

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Re: Music that inspired the soundtracks of the DKC Trilogy

Postby Qyzbud » March 12th, 2008, 1:28 pm

That's not what I thought of, but perhaps there's some similarity there, too.

I think it sounds a lot like part of the Northern Kremisphere overview theme.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » March 12th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Oh no... Not this again!

-and this time it's MY DOING! :o

Haha, you're right though.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » March 13th, 2008, 11:58 am

One part of Can't Buy Me Love from The Beatles reminds me of a little melody repeated in DKC3's Mill Fever...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y8IAIG44
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby nickp17 » March 13th, 2008, 12:19 pm

My favorite them is the one in Bayou Boogie.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 13th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Cody: Yeah, I'm definitely hearing it... That's way beyond coincidence. Well noticed! I'm tempted to add that to the list in my first post...

nickp17 wrote:My favorite them is the one in Bayou Boogie.

Oh yes, I can see how that's relevant here. :?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 13th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Hmm... definitely similar. I'm not sure though, I'll have to listen to it a couple more times. Guess I don't have DKC-sensitive hearing like Qyz... :P :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Cody » April 23rd, 2008, 12:17 pm

This video is a combination of Phil Collin's In the Air Tonight and David Wise's Bayou Boogie. Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » April 23rd, 2008, 12:43 pm

Haha. Stuck in the Swamp Tonight. You should've named it that. :lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 12:43 pm

The intro to the Frankenstein boss in GIover for the N64 has the same melody as Krockship (It's taken out comepletely in the PS1 version.) Probably a cooincidence, though.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 1:11 pm

...and are you going to mention which N64 game you're talking about? Saying 'in the N64' doesn't really narrow it down enough. :P

Edit: Ah, Glover... I should have guessed! (and did ;))
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Holy crap! I don't know how that slipped past me :oops:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

DKC 2 Trance, original club music, not fan made.

Postby Cosmicman » June 3rd, 2008, 10:10 am

Being a big fan of trance music I have always loved the trance fan made remixes of the DKC music series, I have worked on a few that I will share very soon, but recently I found one track that sounds just like the song from the main screen of DKC 2 , K. Rool returns . There has been some debate over the track being made by Zatox or Headhunterz, 2 producers from Germany, so my guess is that they both worked on it. The song is really wild, I was wondering if I should put this here, but If someone else had founded it and posted it I would had been thankful all my life but that is just me . :mrgreen:

The original

http://youtube.com/watch?v=82gyx1KJl04

Trance Hardstyle Remix. You can fast forward to the 50 second mark.
Originally named Zatox - Tanz Electric (Hard Mix) , and Headhunterz - reloaded part 1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cjyk-4xyyiE
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Re: DKC 2 Trance, original club music, not fan made.

Postby nackhe » June 3rd, 2008, 9:05 pm

headhunterz is Dutch, not German...

Besides, I listened to it, and It doesn't really sound like headhunterz.
Nice song though. :)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » June 4th, 2008, 1:36 am

Hey, that's a good observation... the melodies do have quite a bit in common. Similar tune, similar vibe... completely different musical style! :P

Would you mind me merging this topic with our other comparison topic?
Edit: evidently, this has since been done.

This topic was originally just for discussing know/speculated 'inspirations' for the DKC trilogy's soundtracks, but it has grown to include general comparisons between DKC tracks and other musical compositions. I will most likely edit the topic name and the first post soon to reflect this.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cosmicman » June 4th, 2008, 6:55 am

Qyzbud feel free to merge the thread, but where do I post my own remixes?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Qyzbud » June 4th, 2008, 11:58 am

Well, we already have a topic for DKC Remix Discussion, so that might be the best spot for now. If you/we feel like you want or need a separate topic for your mixes, or maybe for DKCA community-made remixes, we can do something like that in the DKC Projects/Fanworks forum at some stage.

I'm keen to hear what you've created, and I myself dabble in composing/remixing, from time to time.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cosmicman » June 7th, 2008, 8:47 am

Qyzbud wrote:The track Right on Time by the Red Hot Chili Peppers has a similar bassline to DKC2's rollercoaster music... 'least I think so.

Take a listen. (the bit at 1:33 gives the best clarity)

How come nintendo didn't sue them? :D Sounds extremely similar.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby BlueTronic » June 9th, 2008, 12:26 pm

The first half of the trumpet part of the Indiana Jones theme song sounds like a faster version of Mine Cart Madness at 0:50. The first 5 seconds sound similar but after that, they're completely different. It's probably just a cooincidence.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » March 21st, 2009, 5:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0Xy_6WIY0 Vangelis - Antarctica
This sounds so much like In a Snow Bound Land that there's NO WAY it's a coincidence. The theme, the melody, the percussion, the malimba-sounding thing etc.

Also, compare the guitar solo at the end of Rockface Rumble (done by Eveline Fischer) to the melody of Mining Melancholy (done by Dave Wise). Does that count as inspiration?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Cyclone » March 22nd, 2009, 1:15 pm

That truly does sound like the music from the game. Very interesting.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Kiddy14 » March 22nd, 2009, 3:39 pm

It's funny how I've that track in my computer, play it almost weekly (I'm a fan of synth music), and never noticed the similarities xD
In the comments there are two guys who say the same, but somebody told one of them he "asked" Dave Wise and "he said that song wasn't his inspiration for In A Snow Bound Land, despite the similarities".
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Sockpuppet » March 22nd, 2009, 3:59 pm

Well, either he's lying and never asked him, it's a REALLY BIG coincidence or...
He said "I asked David Wise but he said he got inspiration from some other song" so MAYBE both songs were inspired by the one song. It's a pity this 'other song' isn't named... =(
I really can't believe it's just a coincidence.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Sockpuppet » April 7th, 2009, 9:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9mo4yGvaIA This sounds a little like the melody of Life in the Mines. This could easily be a coincidence though.

Also I've noticed similarities between songs in DKC and songs in DKC2. Is that relevant at all?

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.music4games.net/Features_Display.aspx?id=290
Quote from that link:
M4G: Who are your musical heroes and inspirations (outside of games)?

Dave Wise: Soundtracks of film composers: James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, Randy Newman, Vangelis. Music in general: Candy Dulfer, The Police, The Clash, Prince, Nickleback, Glenn Miller. Too many to mention – if it’s good, it doesn’t matter the genre. I listen to classical, jazz, rock, dance – really a bit of everything. Spectrasonics.

More evidence to suggest Antarctica WAS the inspiration of In a Snow-Bound Land.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Simion32 » April 12th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:Also I've noticed similarities between songs in DKC and songs in DKC2. Is that relevant at all?
I remember reading somewhere that Primal Rave uses the same melody as Aquatic Ambiance. Really mind-blowing when you realize the similarities - how something so peaceful sounding was transformed into jungle rave music is beyond me...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Gnawzooka » April 12th, 2009, 7:59 pm

I never realised that. I'll have to check it out later...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » April 12th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Yeah, that's true. They are VERY similar. Another one I noticed was Bad Boss Boogie (0:20) and Bayou Boogie (0:57). Hey, they both end with 'boogie.' :D
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » April 12th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Oh I see...
I also where you're going with the boogies, sockpuppet, although the resemblance isn't as strong.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » April 12th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Yeah, the Boogies could easily be a coincidence, but it's still interesting.
Also, the end of Krook's March is similar to DK Island Swing, and parts of Haunted Chase sound like Mine Cart Madness.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Kiddy14 » April 13th, 2009, 7:53 am

The end of Krook's March is also similar to the end of Minecart Madness.
And both those endings sound like slowed-down versions of Indiana Jones' theme (pointed by Kong-Fu), but as he said, it may be a coincidence.
Yesterday I listened to a song that had a guitar tune really similar to Rockface Rumble (GBA version, you know the country one). Couldn't get the name of it, but if I ever listen to it again, I'll check =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Sockpuppet » April 13th, 2009, 10:32 am

Kiddy14 wrote:The end of Krook's March is also similar to the end of Minecart Madness.

That's because the end of Minecart Madness IS DK Island Swing. But it does sound like Indiana Jones! :lol:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » May 26th, 2009, 3:03 am

Sockpuppet wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0Xy_6WIY0 Vangelis - Antarctica
This sounds so much like In a Snow Bound Land that there's NO WAY it's a coincidence.

I'm a bit late in getting back to this topic, but I checked out Theme from Antarctica, and yeah, it's definitely the inspiration for In a Snow-Bound Land. Even if it was only the melody that the two tracks had in common, it would be a strong likeness... but like you said, there are just too many obscure commonalities for it to be a coincidence. I'm impressed with how David Wise managed to expand upon the original tune, though - the track he produced is a much more intricate and emotive piece, I would say. It's odd to hear that there are reports denying this Vangelis track being the source of inspiration, especially considering the artists Dave listed as his inspirations, which as you pointed out, included Vangelis. :lol:

I've updated the original post to reflect this source of inspiration, and have noted Cody's observation of Can't Buy Me Love's melody which Mill Fever most definitely shares. The list in that post is ordered based on how significant the inspiration was. The tracks at the top of the list being the ones with the strongest resemblance to one another.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Music That Inspired the Soundtracks of the DKC Trilogy

Postby Sockpuppet » May 29th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axLh5Uc9yko&feature=response_watch
Skip to 0:53 (ignore the Rockface Rumble one).
Also, The Last of the Summer Wine theme sounds a little bit like Stilt Village.
The first 20 seconds or so of the Hook theme sounds like a mix of K. Rool Returns, Jib Jig and Lockjaw's Saga.

EDIT: Another Vangelis song. It kinda sounds Mining Melancholy-ish, but the resemblance isn't nearly as close as Antarctica/Snow Bound Land.
EDIT AGAIN: Actually I think I'm trying to hard to hear DKC music. It really isn't close at all...
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » May 31st, 2009, 4:56 pm

Cool, can't wait to check 'em out... I'd better do so at a friend's house though, or I'll run out of internet quota in a hurry (again). :roll:

I know what you mean about trying too hard to hear DKC references... I'm forever making comparisons with DK tunes when I'm listening to anything else. It must be D. Wise fanboy syndrome. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sockpuppet » June 2nd, 2009, 7:42 pm

This sounds very Haunted Chase-y. Maple Story was made after DKC2.
EDIT: I just remembered another one. This was also composed by David Wise, so it's not inspiration, but...

I reckon the RC Pro Am theme evolved into Bad Bird Rag.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Rodent » June 2nd, 2009, 10:38 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:Also I've noticed similarities between songs in DKC and songs in DKC2. Is that relevant at all?

I'm not sure on track names, but the underwater theme from DKC and the opening music in DKC3 (GBA) follows the same melody.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » June 4th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Okay, I checked out the links Sockpuppet posted... I'm pretty convinced that DKC3's Hot Pursuit music is based on Michael Jackson's They Don't Care About Us. That part of MJ's song actually sounds really cool, and almost doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the track. If I was going to make a rock/metal Hot Pursuit remix, I would totally sample They Don't Care About Us. It sounds sweet. 8-)

The theme music of The Last of the Summer Wine has a few recognisable notes, but very little of it bears any similarity to Stilt Village. Upon listening to the link you posted, I was immediately reminded of Zelda: OoT's Kakariko Village theme... Personally, I would say there's a lot more resemblance between Kakariko and Summer Wine. Especially when considering the mood and instrument choice similarities.

The music from Hook sounded a little similar perhaps (I'm sure Rare would have listened to a few pirate movie soundtracks for a bit of inspiration!), and I could hear what you were referring to with Vangelis' Conquest of Paradise (the humming voices, right?), but yeah, it doesn't sound like a dead ringer. Still, it's cool to have a listen.

I'd say you're right about RC Pro Am => Bad Bird Rag, too. ;)

I forgot to check out the Maple Story music though... will do that soon. Of course the music in that game is much more likely to be based on Muggorsky's classic than DKC2's replica, but it'll still be interesting to have a listen.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sockpuppet » July 30th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Oh, I just remembered something else! About a week ago my sister was watching Master Chef, and suddenly this music came on that sounded EXACTLY like a portion of Northern Hemispheres (DKC snow music). If the music was composed specifically for the show then it's definitely not an inspiration (I suppose MC could've been inspired by DKC...), but if MC uses already existing songs then it could be.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Sockpuppet » September 19th, 2009, 10:41 am

Another one (sort of)!
Again, this isn't actually inspiration, but something else by David Wise. This time, it was composed after the trilogy.

There's an unused track that Rare left in Diddy Kong Racing. I believe you can hear it in the hidden soundtest.
Youtube vid
The whole song will probably remind you of a certain DKC2 tune, but if you don't hear it at first it'll become really obvious at 0:21.
Spoiler!
It's clearly based on Jib Jig.

Gnawzooka wrote:That show is ridiculous...

Well I agree but that's kinda irrelevant...
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Sockpuppet » October 28th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Sorry for yet another double post. :oops:
I was just sitting in class today when, completely out of nowhere, I realized the backing of 'Let it Be' (The Beatles) is extremely similar to Bonus Room Blitz. Or is this just 'D. Wise fanboy syndrome' kicking in again? :lol:
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby FefeRawft » November 7th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Wow, I was just watching America's Funniest Home videos, and they played Night on Bald Mountain. Since I wasn't paying attention, it caught me off guard and I actually though they were using the DKC sound track for a moment :lol: .
Trailblazer

Postby BlueTronic » November 7th, 2009, 2:54 pm

I remember that. The one with people hangliding or something.

They should have used the DKC2 track. :P
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby FefeRawft » November 8th, 2009, 9:26 am

Sockpuppet wrote:Also, compare the guitar solo at the end of Rockface Rumble (done by Eveline Fischer) to the melody of Mining Melancholy (done by Dave Wise). Does that count as inspiration?

I've noticed that too, very interesting the first time I heard it.

On the subject of DKC music sounding like other DKC music, has anybody noticed the amount of Jungle songs that all are the same for the first 20 seconds, and then change up a bit?

DK Island Swing (DKC)
DK Island Swing (SSBB)
Jungle Japes (SSBM)
Jungle Japes (DK64) Most notably different at 0:50.
Dawn Savannah (DK:JB) 0:38-0:58

I understand that they are the same song, and the Super Smash Bros. variants have every right to be different, but how come the main Donkey Kong ones have different names and sound so different in the middle?
Trailblazer

Postby BlueTronic » December 6th, 2009, 1:21 am

This is probably just a cooincidence, and it's a melody from an original song inspired by a melody from a DKC track (rather than the other way around), but:

'Existence' at 3:10 sounds similar to Bayou Boogie at exactly 1:02.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby FefeRawft » December 24th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Cody wrote:One part of Can't Buy Me Love from The Beatles reminds me of a little melody repeated in DKC3's Mill Fever...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y8IAIG44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Gbvt6l9BY

Look at the comments :D
Trailblazer

Postby BlueTronic » December 25th, 2009, 7:01 am

So that's the reason for the Bad Timing Boogie!

It also sounds like the FF7 battle theme.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby FefeRawft » December 25th, 2009, 6:20 pm

And parts of that sound like the Mine Cart theme from DKC.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Trailblazer

PreviousNext

Return to General DKC Discussion