Winky the frog VS. Rattly the snake

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Which one is better?

Winky
35%
Rattly
44%
They both Sucked!
3%
They both Rocked!
17%

Total votes : 63

Winky the frog VS. Rattly the snake

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 4:42 am

Well, you all know that Winky and Rattly are both quite similar. They serve the same basic purpose. So, which one is better? Is it the original, Winky, with such awesome levels as "Winky's Walkway", and "Millstone Mayhem". Or is it his replacement, Rattly, with "Slime Climb" and "Rattle Battle"?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Winky the frog VS. Rattly the snake

Postby Goe » June 26th, 2008, 5:33 am

Winky rules
Rattly sucks

I must admit i love the "rattle batlle" stage....but the jumping snake sucks
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Kiddy14 » June 26th, 2008, 5:46 am

Winky sucked. I would usually jump in those small platforms or over the Zingers in Bouncy Bonanza and misjudge the positions, so I would keep falling like 3 times xD Just because it's hard to tell when he would stand in the platform, stupid stretchy legs. That's why I never used him.

I never used him in any level, just in Winky's Walkway because of the banana bunches in the bonus level, but I hated how when he killed an enemy, he would start doing mini jumps if you continue moving, he's so annoying!

In the other hand, I always expected Rattly to stand on his tail, so I never misjudge it. Besides he has the simmilar to roll-jump, where you just go off and edge and jump in mid-air 8-) And has the super-jump! :D I love Rattly over Winky! :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 6:53 am

Winky is awesome. He actually looks realistic. The DKC2 animals were too cartoony.

I hate when people use the argument that Rattly has the super Jump. That doesn't matter, because if they had brought Winky back in DKC2 they would've given him a super jump, just like they did with Rambi and Enguarde. And they would've fixed the controls too. Winky is just a cooler character.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Soniccuz » June 26th, 2008, 7:36 am

I've always liked that amphibian even though I never could control him; I'd always wend up dead with Winky and Expresso even though there my favorites
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby CaptainEddie » June 26th, 2008, 8:10 am

I liked Rattly. I mean, I never had a problem with Winky, but I always just liked Rattly. It's probably beacause DKC got stolen when I was too young to get very far in the game, and never got to Winky's Walkway. DKC2 didn't get stolen and I got to Rattly's first level. I never played with Winky until I got DKC on the VC. Anyways, I liked Rattly better. He's just cooler.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Teeth » June 26th, 2008, 8:29 am

Rattly, as a springy coiled snake is exactly the sort of cool and insane idea that defines Rareware's sense of humour. Plus he had his own theme song in Rattle Battle, which is my second favourite DKC song ever. He was also much easier to control than Winky (though they did make Winky more like Rattly on the GBA)
Tourist

Postby Kiddy14 » June 26th, 2008, 8:30 am

Jomingo wrote:I hate when people use the argument that Rattly has the super Jump. That doesn't matter, because if they had brought Winky back in DKC2 they would've given him a super jump...

Yeah... but... they didn't 8-)

Teeth wrote:He was also much easier to control than Winky (though they did make Winky more like Rattly on the GBA)

Yeah, in the GBA version he doesn't do those mini-jumps when killing enemies, and those the little mini-jumps when moving faster and more "mini". I can say I dislike the SNES Winky, but I'm ok with the GBA Winky.

EDIT:
Jomingo wrote:Or is it his replacement, Rattly, with "Slime Climb" and "Rattle Battle"?

Rattly isn't playable in Slime Climb =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Stone » June 26th, 2008, 9:38 am

DKCLB should definately give Winky a super jump, as well as the possibility to jump afte walking over edges...

Because I really like the frog!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 9:40 am

I'm thinking of the one in the castle, where the slime rises. Which one is that?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » June 26th, 2008, 9:50 am

Oh it's not slime, is venom...
Toxic Tower is the name =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » June 26th, 2008, 9:52 am

Oh, of course. I don't know why I mixed them up. There pretty similar though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » June 28th, 2008, 12:12 am

I liked Rattly. I mean, Winky's still cool, but... he's a freaking rattlesnake that bounces. It doesn't get much awesomer than that.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby DK4Ever » June 30th, 2008, 2:08 pm

I liked both of them, but man, Rattly was too awesome, he gets my vote.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Cosmicman » June 30th, 2008, 3:51 pm

I like Winky better but now that I think about it, why is a frog bigger than a monkey :?: They could had chosen a kangaroo, etc but well, in DKC 2 we have a gigantic spider so I guess its ok. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Diddy_Gal » July 2nd, 2008, 11:17 am

Rattly, I love reptiles and poisonous snakes. Winky can't beat a snake that has a SUPERCHARGED jump attack by pressing the "X" button. He wins!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 3rd, 2008, 1:48 am

Okay, who put that they both sucked? I need to know so I can put poison in their crunch berries.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » July 3rd, 2008, 2:31 am

Yeah, I shouldn't've had those choices. Then that vote would've been the tie breaker.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 3rd, 2008, 6:08 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Okay, who put that they both sucked? I need to know so I can put poison in their crunch berries.

I did.
They both did suck.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby CaptainEddie » July 3rd, 2008, 6:10 am

How did they suck? They both had superior jumping abilities compared to the Kongs!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 3rd, 2008, 6:26 am

Don't get me wrong, Winky and Rattly were cool and fitting characters, but their physics were pretty wonky. Thanks to their inability to actually WALK or even crawl, I never knew when I was able to jump and when I wasn't. That kinda of stuff confused a kid like me back then and that wasn't cool.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby CaptainEddie » July 3rd, 2008, 6:33 am

True, it was hard to time a jump with an animal buddy that constantly jumped, but as a gamer, I practiced and got better at it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 3rd, 2008, 9:13 am

Raccoon Sam wrote:
Tiptup Jr. wrote:Okay, who put that they both sucked? I need to know so I can put poison in their crunch berries.

I did.
They both did suck.

GRRR. :evil:

Would you like some Crunch Berries, Sammie?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 3rd, 2008, 9:23 am

Would you like some opinions, Tiptup? :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby BlueTronic » July 3rd, 2008, 9:24 am

If you two don't stay on topic, Qyzbud will have you both Crunchatized! :evil:

They were both pretty weak, but the game needs a high jumping animal buddy doesn't it? Winky looked better in my opinion, while Rattly had the superjump and was stronger. I still voted Winky: Rattly was too cartoonish.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » July 3rd, 2008, 2:27 pm

Raccoon Sam wrote:...I never knew when I was able to jump and when I wasn't.

I agree with that with Winky, but Rattly, you can always jump with him unless you already did, since he has something simmilar to "roll jump".
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby CaptainEddie » July 4th, 2008, 2:16 am

Yes, even if you were in mid walk/hop, you could still jump.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 4th, 2008, 3:07 am

I'm aware of that, but as a kid I didn't just think it was logical enough for a Frog or a Snake to jump in mid-air.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby CaptainEddie » July 4th, 2008, 3:45 am

When I was a kid, I wasn't thinking about logic. (I was like 5) I was thinking, "Ooh! Look at the funny snake!"
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Tiptup Jr. » July 4th, 2008, 5:33 am

Raccoon Sam wrote:Would you like some opinions, Tiptup? :)

Oh, aha. Ahaha. Ha. :|

But yes, snakes are quite awesome. They're pretty much my favorite animal.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kiddy14 » July 4th, 2008, 8:14 am

Raccoon Sam wrote:I'm aware of that, but as a kid I didn't just think it was logical enough for a Frog or a Snake to jump in mid-air.

You can't tell monkeys defying gravity (as in roll jump) was logical either :roll:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 4th, 2008, 8:55 am

Kiddy14 wrote:
Raccoon Sam wrote:I'm aware of that, but as a kid I didn't just think it was logical enough for a Frog or a Snake to jump in mid-air.

You can't tell monkeys defying gravity (as in roll jump) was logical either :roll:

At least that was intentional and probably explained in the instruction manual.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Simion32 » July 4th, 2008, 8:58 am

I vote Rattly, for he is easier to control and has more moves.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » July 4th, 2008, 9:33 am

Raccoon Sam wrote:At least that was intentional and probably explained in the instruction manual.

Mmm... Rattly's "power" was also intentional. And probably explained in the Player's Guide.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby gamer_boy997 » July 4th, 2008, 1:06 pm

They were both okay. Winky was nice, and like Rattly, he killed Zingers, what I didn't like about Winky though, was that in Bouncy Bonanza, I sometimes missed a tire that was over a pit, since it's hard to tell where Winky lands, (I believe somebody said something about this when I checked this topic earlier today, but I'm to lazy to search). Rattly was more of a "cartoon" character. He always had is body "standing up", he's a snake, and snakes don't jump, and when you die as him/lose him, he makes a goofy face, once I thought that was a "happy" face.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 4th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:
Raccoon Sam wrote:At least that was intentional and probably explained in the instruction manual.

Mmm... Rattly's "power" was also intentional. And probably explained in the Player's Guide.

I never said it wasn't. What I mean is that it is completely against common sense for a snake or a frog who're supposed to be your friends to jump in mid-air and have clunky controls.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Kiddy14 » July 5th, 2008, 5:12 am

Oh...

then that's true... you're right.

Except about the snake's part :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 5th, 2008, 7:08 am

I don't think you're going to get much support while arguing about the "logic" (or lack thereof) of the DKC trilogy. The games aren't meant to be logical, they just did what they had to do to make the game fun.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kiddy14 » July 5th, 2008, 7:28 am

I agree with you Jomingo. The game wasn't supposed to be logical at all. If you don't find sense to a snake jumping in mid-air, then you wouldn't also find the sense of "rolling-jumping", kongs/enemies with clothes, tires semi-buried in the floor, mini drums with lots of enemies inside, floating ropes... etc, etc, etc.
Cosmicman wrote:...why is a frog bigger than a monkey :?: They could had chosen a kangaroo...

Exactly, why is a frog bigger than a monkey. And a kangaroo in a DKC game would be awesome. It would perfectly fit in DKC3 in my opinion =)
gamer_boy997 wrote:...I sometimes missed a tire that was over a pit, since it's hard to tell where Winky lands, (I believe somebody said something about this when I checked this topic earlier today, but I'm to lazy to search). Rattly was more of a "cartoon" character. He always had is body "standing up", he's a snake, and snakes don't jump...

That was me =P And yeah, Rattly was indeed more of a cartoony one, but we can tell, frogs can't lift big gorillas like Donkey and still jump that high, and they can't be as big as a gorilla =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Jomingo » July 5th, 2008, 7:33 am

I thought of a Kangaroo animal buddy a long time ago, except instead of riding on it's back, you jump in the pouch. And it had punching gloves.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Katastrophe Kong » February 21st, 2009, 1:13 pm

Rare actually had an idea about a giraffe animal buddy, you'd be able to climb up it's neck to collect items and stuff.
But then came Winky, with him you would'nt need to climb.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby PotoGamer » February 22nd, 2009, 2:00 am

While Winky is more realistic, I prefer Rattly because of its better collision detection. You never really know where you're going to land with Winky. :(

Maybe there's some sketches or models of that giraffe lying around...or maybe Rare secretly reused it in some game! :o
Trailblazer

Postby Katastrophe Kong » February 24th, 2009, 6:16 am

I remember when I first found Rattly in DKC2. I was all like "Woah! What is that thing?" :lol:
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Rodent » February 24th, 2009, 8:37 am

Ratty would probably be my favourite Animal Buddy. It just seems easier using him to bounce through the levels, killing anything easily and going anywhere. Oh, and Rattle Battle is probably the best level ever.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby The Guy » February 24th, 2009, 9:40 am

Yeah, Rattle Battle was awsome...
Veteran Venturer

Postby Gnawzooka » February 24th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I didn't like that level so much except for the music.
But it was awesome music. :mrgreen: Even if it was really just the start of Gangplank Galleon and Pirate Panic combined...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » June 9th, 2009, 4:50 am

I`d say they both are good. You all say you don`t ever know where Winky lands. Huh. Winky is one of the easiest animals to control. (Also the cutest) Rattly`s got cool moves, but Winky does, too.
P.S. I love this e-mail I got. My friend was looking at this and saw the crunchberry part. I was LMAO! Anyway, here`s the email:
Grace Gaurfauereax wrote: Crunchberries! Mmmmmm, mine. *Snatches crunchberries & runs*
A couple days later...
Oh no! I`m a hobo who lives off crunchberries.
LOLZ
Also...
Grace Gaurfauereax wrote: Have a fun summer, crunchberry! -Grace

Also this one.
Zachary Ingray wrote: Eat poisoness crunchberries, ya big idiot!
On Probation

Postby VideoViking » June 9th, 2009, 11:44 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:But yes, snakes are quite awesome. They're pretty much my favorite animal.

Me too. To me, they symbolize the values of patience and strategy. You don't know when and where a snake will strike.

In order for me to answer this poll, I will have to let you in a bit on my Donkey Kong Country X idea. Back when I was in DKC mode, I considered featuring both Winky and Rattly in the game. Winky the frog was your basic high jumper who could reach high places and knock out enemies while walking. Rattly, unlike the frog, possessed the ability to "roll jump" - er, hop jump, which simply involved a small step and a giant leap. The snake could even super jump where it's standing.

There are some disadvantages to both characters. Of course, everyone knows that Winky cannot perform a super jump, it's a given. In order for Winky to match Rattly's super jump, he would need to hop on a high-flying enemy beforehand, preferably a flying creature like Necky, Zinger or Flitter. Rattly may have the best jumping skills, but he cannot always kill enemies while hopping. I was playing DKC2 the other day to test this ability. Rattly was able to take out a Neek and a Click-Click at ease; but he freaked out when it came time to face a wider and larger enemy. It was this primary factor in the snake that helped me decided in keeping both the frog and the snake for my remix idea.

In conclusion, I like both of them.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Next

Return to General DKC Discussion