Inspecting Kong Helper Rooms

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Inspecting Kong Helper Rooms

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 27th, 2023, 6:17 pm

I wanted to do this with Cranky in Monkey Museum, well I picked it back up after I saw a monkey punching bag in Klubba's Kiosk (Diddy's face?) (Whose side is Klubba on? Is he manipulating the kongs with phrases such as I hope ye scupper k.rool's plans. Or is he secretly tricking everybody and is ready to betray everyone? Or is he in it for the gold? Is there a toll for Kremlings too? It seems too conspicuous for K.rool not to notice.

Here is Monkey Museum: (more coming!)
Bananas
Rareware logo
Nintendo logo
Winky memorialized forever! ($5)
DK barrel
Killer Instinct poster
Killer Instinct arcade game? ($2)
Barrel with bananas
Barrel
Is that DK on top of the arcade game?
Mounted Kruncha (Is Cranky a kremling hunter?)
DK logo
Funky's DKC1 surfboard
SNES controller
Banana palm leaves
Minecraft on its side.
Broomsticks or paintbrushes or green sticks with bananas hanging off them? Or are they supposed to be banana tree branches?
$4 dollar barrel? maybe steel keg
What is the yellow (controller?) thingamajig in the back? I found a clearer image and it looks like Expresso! Look at the shoes!
What are the red cartridges on the floor?(red n64?)
There's an entrance!! I saw it for the first time!

Also Enguarde was in winky's box in the beta!

Here is the clearer image.
Monkeymuseum2.gif
Monkeymuseum2.gif (22.21 KiB) Viewed 6979 times

And the beta!
Monkey_Museum.png
Monkey_Museum.png (79.99 KiB) Viewed 6979 times

Did I miss anything? Is my analysis wrong?
:parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Inspecting Kong Helper Rooms

Postby Mattrizzle » March 28th, 2023, 3:03 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:What is the yellow (controller?) thingamajig in the back? I found a clearer image and it looks like Expresso! Look at the shoes!

It is indeed the large golden Expresso token from Expresso's Animal Bonus room in DKC1.

In the earlier version of the render, a smaller golden Rambi token is in its spot.

WesternTanager794 wrote:What are the red cartridges on the floor?(red n64?)

They appear to be Super NES cartridges with 'DKC' in red on their labels.

WesternTanager794 wrote:Is that DK on top of the arcade game?

That is what it appears to be! In fact, Qyzbud agrees with you (see the link at the bottom of this post).

WesternTanager794 wrote:Minecraft on its side.

I believe you meant "upside-down mine cart."

WesternTanager794 wrote:Broomsticks or paintbrushes or green sticks with bananas hanging off them? Or are they supposed to be banana tree branches?

If you're talking about the objects to the left of the mounted Kruncha, those appear to be crossed swords, the light blue parts are the blades, and the brown parts are part of their hilts/handles. The bananas aren't a part of the same object. It isn't clear what they're hanging from.

This topic is similar to a previous one, so I'll link it here:
What can you spot in the DKC trilogy's scenery?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 28th, 2023, 6:43 am

I'll see what I can add on to the other topic then! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » March 28th, 2023, 3:09 pm

WesternTanager794 wrote:Whose side is Klubba on? Is he manipulating the kongs with phrases such as I hope ye scupper k.rool's plans. Or is he secretly tricking everybody and is ready to betray everyone?

If what I read once was true, Klubba was originally going to be the secret final boss instead of K. Rool a second time. Of course, had this happened, then we would have basically received Kudgel a second time! Also, as for spotting items in the scenery, I think you've listed everything I've noticed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 28th, 2023, 4:09 pm

Gregg Mayles confirmed that he was the last boss. I think it’s more consistent to have K.rool. And it’s less brutal to not have Klubba let you in the lost world and then try to kill you. And I always thought that Kudgel was derived from Klubba. Maybe that was the compromise. Which leads you to wonder who the predecessor to Kudgel was. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » March 29th, 2023, 2:21 am

My theory: Perhaps Kackle was originally created as the boss of Krem Quay? He seems awfully large for a minor enemy who appears in one level. This would definitely line up with his earlier design where he appears to be a higher-ranking official. A pirate ghost fits with the theme of a shipwreck in a swamp, though we already have one ghost boss in Kreepy Krow.

Kudgel is certainly what remains of the Klubba battle concept, dumbed down to the difficulty expected for a boss of the third world, possibly due to being unfinished.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 29th, 2023, 7:02 am

The first time I saw Cackle, I was watching a playthrough of DKC2. (I was 12 and stuck with my sibling on one of the first videogames We'd had ever played. I was watching the video to see levels I had never seen before. We were stuk in Krem Quay. I thought Kackle was a boss. Because I had just skipped past the latter half of Zany Zingerland. I think you're completely right, Matt! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 29th, 2023, 2:41 pm

Was Mr. X scrapped because that makes him a second ghostly boss? Or was Krow II not around yet? Did they add kreepy krow because they didn't have a boss for that world? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Mattrizzle » March 30th, 2023, 12:35 am

We may never know. This is all speculation. Bosses may have been swapped around, so Kreepy Krow could have even been the boss of Krem Quay. I can picture the level without the rain in Slime Climb's palette. It just seems weird to have a ship mast sticking out of the ground at the end of Gloomy Gulch.

Or not. The vertical progression of the boss level does feel right for the transition to K. Rool's Keep.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Return to General DKC Discussion