Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo pulled a Sonic Mania?

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo pulled a Sonic Mania?

Postby JadeRose » August 15th, 2017, 2:23 pm

I feel like this subject has been brought up before, and I'm sorry if it has, haha.

Sonic Mania is shaping up to be the return to the basics that all of the more nostalgic fans wanted all along. From the gameplay, to the characters, to the graphics, to the music, to the stage elements... the overall TONE is there. Sonic 4 missed the mark big time, and Sonic Generations, while fun, was still missing something.

Sega enlisted the help of some well known hackers to create the game, and it's working well for them. They really seem to understand what made the originals great.

Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze were swell, don't get me wrong. I loved those games. and I respect the fact that Retro wanted to do their own thing with the series. However, I and a few others wouldn't mind seeing a game in the style of the old trilogy (albeit a little updated).

Retro's busy, Rare's doing their own thing... Playtonic is theoretically an option, I guess.

Anyway, I've wanted something like this ever since Megaman 9 came out.

I would very much like Donkey Kong Country 4 -- but I'll settle for playing Returns and Tropical Freeze for now. (Also need to get my hands on some good hacks/fangames).
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Re: Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo pulled a Sonic Mania?

Postby OneOf99 » August 17th, 2017, 11:46 am

I completely agree, and heck don't let it stop at DKC. Do Mario and Metroid too! I would love to see return to forms for these series, especially seeing how big the rom hacking scene is these days (I mean just look at SMW Central. I hope we become that after *someone* makes the DKC editor).

Plus, it would be great to have some new worlds made by new nintendo staff. Just as Sonic Mania did old and new worlds, the same could be done to DKC. Why not keep the jungle and factory levels, but also add some desert and sky? Or, even better, make remixes of old worlds (like frozen factory in Tropical Freeze). I feel like Retro was on the right path with the new DKC games, but because of their habit to just make things too good I feel like some nostalgic value was lost in the new DKC games.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Super Luigi! » August 26th, 2017, 1:40 am

This is a great idea, but Nintendo would likely not let it happen. Remember Another Metroid 2 Remake? Instead of hiring or congratulating DoctorM64 and his team (or simply leaving their project be), they filed a Cease and Desist, likely because Samus Returns was releasing soon. A similar situation occurred with Super Mario Brothers X. Rather than support Redigit's efforts, they had it taken down, used some of his ideas in Super Mario 3D World, and then later released Super Mario Maker.

In any case, either Donkey Kong Country N. Sane Trilogy or Mania would be wonderful.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby spaceman2028 » August 26th, 2017, 7:14 am

Actually I think the reason why they filed the Cease and Desists was because they feared that these free games were getting more popular and far more played than their official games, and not liking the sound of that, immediately took them down. That's why there's no Pokemon Uranium, they thought it was making all of the official Pokemon games obsolete and therefore needed to be removed to keep their games in running order. Another Metroid 2 Remake, however, was probably made long before Samus Returns was in production, as that game is going to be put on the Switch and that was probably conceived long after AM2R was made. Maybe they decided it might be a good idea to make a remake themselves? It might help ease the backlash unless they are purposely trying to outdo AM2R like how Super Mario Maker is supposed to be the new, official SMBX even though it doesn't even come close to beating SMBX in my opinion. Oh well, it's still alright I suppose.

What we need for Donkey Kong Country is a new game for the series on the switch. One because Returns was the only DKC game on the Wii and then Tropical Freeze was the only game on the Wii U, so it would make sense that the Switch has it's own DKC game. And the other reason is because we've been going on without another DKC game for waaay too long in my opinion, and so therefore we should get one from Retro Studios fairly soon. I've already made a thread about suggestions for what it should have in it a while back, so feel free to head there if you have any ideas for what it should contain. Hopefully David Wise will throw in some classic DKC3 and DKL tracks in with it as well.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Return to General DKC Discussion