DKC Urban Legends

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

DKC Urban Legends

Postby Jungle » October 23rd, 2016, 8:39 pm

Hey, everyone!
Does anyone have some supposedly true DKC Urban Legends, or perhaps myths you're not sure are true? Maybe we could crack them as a community :P
I' don't really have my own, but I really look forward to reading everybody elses!

Thanks to Super Luigi for giving me the idea for the thread.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Re: DKC Urban Legends

Postby Super Luigi! » October 25th, 2016, 2:33 am

1. The DKC3 Mekanos bridge can turn.
2. Additionally, the Banana Bird cave from the same world eventually falls down.
3. Winky is in DKC1's Barrel Cannon Canyon.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby OneOf99 » October 25th, 2016, 7:53 am

Wait, the cave doesn't fall? What............. :headache:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Qyzbud » November 1st, 2016, 8:31 am

I know I already chatted with you about this, Jungle, but I have the strangest memory of Rattly wearing a fez. O_O

ImageImage
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby thetoad11 » November 1st, 2016, 11:51 am

I'm pretty sure I have the same memory of Rattly in a fez
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Qyzbud » November 1st, 2016, 11:56 am

Really? Wow. That's at least three of us now, and I can't find any reference to this situation anywhere...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby thetoad11 » November 1st, 2016, 1:08 pm

Perhaps it's the result of the Mandela effect again.

I also have this strange memory of Kutlass appearing in Stronghold Showdown after it had been cleared for the first time but I haven't been able to recreate this memory in 17 years.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby DoubleD99 » November 3rd, 2016, 4:25 am

I heard Lanky was going to be in tropical freeze but got replaced by Cranky :nicework: a few times... Should've put kiddy as the 4th considering he was the 4th playable Kong in the SNES trilogy... :kiddysad:
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby Jungle » November 4th, 2016, 9:10 pm

thetoad11 wrote:Perhaps it's the result of the Mandela effect again.

I also have this strange memory of Kutlass appearing in Stronghold Showdown after it had been cleared for the first time but I haven't been able to recreate this memory in 17 years.

While Karri and I were discussing this I actually brought up the mandela effect, it ia a very interesting topic. As for Rattly wearing a fez...I cant find any art that portrays him wearing one or anything else for that matter.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Jungle » November 16th, 2016, 8:00 pm

Kudos to anyone who can find an image that portrays him wearing a Fez, I would love to know I'm not going insane! o_o
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby JadeRose » December 20th, 2016, 4:16 pm

You can kill Rock Crocs in Misty Menace with DK's handslap in the GBA version, apparently.
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Postby BlueTronic » December 26th, 2016, 6:13 am

I remember younger me going nuts over the BS rumor that Cranky was playable in DKC2 :lol:

For a real one: Pacifica was supposed to be in DKC3 SNES
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 1st, 2017, 3:22 pm

I have the faintest memory of watching K. Lumsey destroy DK Island in DK64, but the only cutscene you ever see of K. Lumsey before the credits sequence is him walking along it, yes, but he doesn't rampage on it like in the memory.

I so seem to remember the Blast-O-Matic destroying the island. This seems a little less false as, if you recall, there WAS a timer active once you entered Hideout Helm. Whether this actually happened if the timer was run down, or if it was just a nightmare caused by the game over screen, I'm still not sure.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Jungle » August 27th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:1. The DKC3 Mekanos bridge can turn.
2. Additionally, the Banana Bird cave from the same world eventually falls down.

Very late response, however I share the same belief that Winky is in there somewhere. He's just so fitting for that level.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Jungle » September 4th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Hey guys, I'd love to give a bit of insight regarding the theory about Rattly wearing a Fez. I forwarded it to Rareware months ago now, and they forwarded it to one of the artist's or something who worked throughout the entire DKC Trilogy, he stated that he has never worn a Fez and no concept art portrayed him wearing one, either. Maybe another case of the Mandela effect.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby DK84 » May 31st, 2021, 4:17 am

I've noticed that: the music theme of "Super Mario 64" it's the same of one music theme of Wrinkly's cave of DKC3.
Anyone noticed it???
Newcomer

Postby Mattrizzle » June 3rd, 2021, 3:34 am

DK84 wrote:I've noticed that: the music theme of "Super Mario 64" it's the same of one music theme of Wrinkly's cave of DKC3.
Anyone noticed it???

That's not exactly an urban legend. DKC3 was released after the Nintendo 64's launch, and the latter's development had been underway when the former's (presumably) started, which is how the console and music were able to make a cameo.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Goe » June 16th, 2021, 9:04 am

A few days ago, I read about Miyamoto complaints about DKC are an urban legend. Look here: https://mobile.twitter.com/frankcifaldi ... 0364266496

By the way, is interesting when a game is so popular that myths about it are created. However, nowadays is hard to keep myths since is easier to find if they are fake or not.

However, in 2002, a schoolmate told me that is posible to play as Cranky, Candy and Funky in DKC (he even told me that Cranky could kill enemies with his stick), and also you can play as Donkey and Kiddy in DKC2. I didn't believe but I said to him “oh, interesting. Once you have reach it and saved the game, can you play with them everytime you load your file?”. He said “yes” and I told him “please, lend me your DKC2 cartridge, I'd like to play as Donkey”. However, he always “forgot” his cartridge at home. Finally, he told me “my brother lied me. Once you reach 100%, there is a video with all kongs going to an island to celebrate it. Then, my bro told me he was playing as Donkey, but he lied me”. Obviously, that DKC2 video never existed. I told him “I have reach 100% and that video doesn't appear”. He looked like :o

There was a “play as Kiddy kong” DKC2 cheat in some websites around 2006-2007. Obviously, it doesn't work.
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby WesternTanager794 » December 23rd, 2022, 12:39 am

Jungle wrote:
Super Luigi! wrote:1. The DKC3 Mekanos bridge can turn.

Very late response, however I share the same belief that Winky is in there somewhere. He's just so fitting for that level.

He is! When I first played the game, I was confused. Cranky said that Winky was in Barrel Cannon Canyon! Preposterous! I searched and searched. Until I found it! Winky is an animal token! Here's proof from the atlas to back me up.
20221222_054641.jpg
20221222_054641.jpg (401.22 KiB) Viewed 11362 times

There he is! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » December 23rd, 2022, 6:31 am

That is indeed quite the leap of faith. Thank you, Tanager. Now this quarter-of-a-century-old mystery has finally been solved.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Return to General DKC Discussion