So with all the terrain maps for DKC3 now up...

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

So with all the terrain maps for DKC3 now up...

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » February 26th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Remember that topic I made a couple of years ago, about the longest, shortest, and other 'est' levels in the original DKC trilogy? I couldn't find that one, but that one only included up to I think Riverside Race. But now I can reveal the absolute longest, shortest, and whatever...

So... for shortest (width), Black Ice Battle, Castle Crush, Chain Link Chamber, Parrot Chute Panic and Toxic Tower, all from DKC2, have a width of 512 pixels.
Longest (width) is Rickety Race from DKC2, at 24320 pixels
Shortest (height) is Skidda's Row, Riverside Race, Lightning Look-Out and Bobbing Barrel Brawl, all from DKC3, at 448 pixels each
Tallest is Parrot-Chute Panic from DKC2 at 13056 pixels
The thinnest (highest vertical:horizontal ratio) is Parrot Chute Panic, which is 25.5 times taller than it is wide
The fattest (highest horizontal:vertical ratio) is Rickety Race, which is 47.5 times wider than it is tall
The "squarest" map is Rambi Rumble, which has a rather interesting width to height ratio, in that the width is precisely 98.7654321098... (recurring)% of the height :O
Then there's the smallest overall stage (by area) which is Mainbrace Mayhem from DKC2 at 2064384 pixels if you count a single stage, otherwise, it's the Rambi section of Animal Antics at 1392640, but if you count bonus stages, the Rambi Bonus from DKC is merely 1179648.
The largest overall stage is Rickety Race, at 12451840 pixels.

There's also the averages...
Average width = 6618 pixels
Average height = 2307 pixels
Average area = 5596164

It seems that on average, stages are about 2.87 times wider than they are tall.

Also, just for the sake of it... the level with the shortest name (including spaces) is... Clam City and Web Woods with 9 characters each.
And of course, there has to be a longest name... which is Demolition Drain-Pipe at 21 characters.

I wonder if any of DKC3 GBA's Pacifica stages beat these, or any of the DKL series...
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Re: So with all the terrain maps for DKC3 now up...

Postby Phyreburnz » February 27th, 2013, 12:11 pm

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:for shortest (width), Black Ice Battle, Castle Crush, Chain Link Chamber, Parrot Chute Panic and Toxic Tower, all from DKC2, have a width of 512 pixels.

While they may be the shortest as far as width goes, I don't think that should really count, since they're vertical levels! :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: So with all the terrain maps for DKC3 now up...

Postby Kingizor » February 27th, 2013, 2:14 pm

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:Shortest (height) is Skidda's Row, Riverside Race, Lightning Look-Out and Bobbing Barrel Brawl, all from DKC3, at 448 pixels each.

The Riverside levels all have two rows of errant tiles at the top, which appear to have been cropped off by someone who's username starts with the letter Q. Skidda's Row has two entirely blank bottom rows which are also not present. The actual height for those levels is 512 pixels.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Return to General DKC Discussion