DKC Remix Discussion

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

DKC Remix Discussion

Postby BlueTronic » March 26th, 2008, 7:11 am

There are SEVERAL DKC remixes scattered around the net, most of which have been put here. However, I have found more than 65 that are not in it, and they're being upload through Mega-Upload right now. This thread is for discussing any and all DKC remixes.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Re: DKC Remix Discussion

Postby Simion32 » March 26th, 2008, 1:15 pm

We should really keep an archive, or at least a list, of all of the remixes which are not OCRemixes. I say this for the sake of being complete.

EDIT: Most of those aren't too good, with the exception of Gang Plank Metalleon, which I had already heard. I do have a recording of some strange DKC2 Lost World Anthem remix but can't remember where I found it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby BlueTronic » March 26th, 2008, 1:55 pm

The majority of them are horrible (Most or all of which are from newgrounds) Whatta 'bout Monkey Cave Abyss? Isn't that one any good?

This is just the DKC remixes. The DKC2 mixes are better. For example All For Bananas, Lava Master, Heat Wave Radio Edit, and Red Night Sky are some good ones.

EDIT: To separate the good mixes from the bad, I'm going to reupload them and sort them by how good they are.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 26th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:...sort them by how good they are.

That sounds incredibly subjective. Maybe you could sort them by how much you like them?

I heard some great DKC2 tracks by Protricity that he never submitted to OCReMix. 'Entering the Cryptic Woods' (or a similar name) was one of them, although I'm not sure where to get it from now-a-days. I've enjoyed all of Prot's remixes, especially Mechanical Swamp, Brambles in the Breeze, Forest Birdcussion and Savage Seduction. Shame he's dropped out of the scene in recent years. He was practically my idol. :cry:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » March 26th, 2008, 2:11 pm

bLiNd and Sir_NutS had some of the best DKC remixes. Death By Spoon and Greg2k are pretty good remixers, too.

D***, I wish I could remix. :x
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 26th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Yeah, bLiNd put some awesome remixes out there. I remember loving his Aquatic Ambience remake, even though (or maybe partially because) it was very similar to the original. He also did a funktastic job of a rather funky track which I just can't place right now... Aerofunknamics or something, it was called.

Just curious- why can't you remix?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » March 26th, 2008, 2:35 pm

I can't even play an instrument (Other than air guitar).
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 26th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Hey, me neither. I'm not even that good at air guitar. You really don't need to have instrumental training to remix... Just a good ear for notes. You seem to have a good ear, as you managed to pick melodic similarity between Glover and DK64, as slight as it was. Compositional knowledge helps, but you don't need all that much of it.

By the way, is Lava Master a DKC2 remix? If so, where can I find it?

It's not this track, is it?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » March 27th, 2008, 12:11 am

Yeah, that's Lava Master. But this version is better than the final update in my opinion because the drums are better. I have a 2:11 version, but it's gone off the thread now, but i still have it.

EDIT: Well, I did try downloading FL Studio the other day, but never looked at it yet.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 27th, 2008, 11:17 pm

One remix I really love the sound of is Hopeful Sunset on a Lost World by ZeRo BaSs... I love the DKC2 credits music, and this is a powerful remake which stays true to the original. I haven't heard it in a finished form, and I don't know if it has progressed since I last listened, but I liked the WIP so much that I made my own extended version of it, which was an improvement in my ears, and of course it went for longer, so there was more to enjoy.

Have you cracked open FL Studio and had a play with it yet, KoFu? ← Liek OMG. I just gave you a nickname!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » March 27th, 2008, 11:41 pm

Eh... Better than ToFu. I haven't cracked open FL Studio yet, but I'll try to see what I can make with the song when I install it.

I remember Sunset on a Lost World. That song was great.
http://dkmusic.karmus.dk/remix/Donkey%20Kong%20Country%202/VGMix/ZeRo_BaSs_-_Hopeful_Sunset_on_a_Lost_World(Donkey_Kong_Country_2).mp3
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cosmicman » April 15th, 2008, 10:18 am

There is a bunch of dk remixes i haven't heard before, thank you.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby BlueTronic » April 22nd, 2008, 8:35 am

I found a brambles remix a year ago, but from what I remember, it was a MIDI with crappy sound quality. My PSP, which I use instead of an iPod, can't play MIDIs so I converted it to mp3 and the converter I used can give it higher quality. I still have it as an mp3, but I found it by using an mp3 search engine and I can't find it anymore. I found where it came from months and months ago, but I can't find it anymore, so I've uploaded the mp3 for all to hear.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RK0DMCHQ
Note: If I remember right, the mp3 is slower than the real thing. :cry:

EDIT: Also, here's some of the many DKC2 remixes not in that site I linked to.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1I9I620T
This is only a few of them
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Metroixer » April 28th, 2008, 11:40 am

Hehe, I'm not talented enough to make remixes yet (Although I'm starting to look into it. It will probably take a while but I'm thinking of how a crocodile Isle remix would sound like.), yet I should just comment for anyone who hasn't heard yet. "Chekan Winter" Which can be found on OCremix is a great epic track that I recently found and enjoy a LOT that I think you all should check out. Here's the link:

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01307/
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 11:59 am

Flight of the Zinger proved to be way easier to remix than the other songs in the trilogy that I've tried (and way more fun, too) Arp King came out really great.

About Chekan Winter: Northern Hemisphere had almost no melody. The main melody was taken from K.Rool Plan B
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 12:17 pm

I always heard more 'Frantic Factory' essence (DK64) in Chekan Winter than I heard the DKC snow music... I usually hear DKC tunes in non-game music more than the average person seems to, but I couldn't even hear the Northern Hemispheres melodies (and yes, it has some beautiful melodies) in that remix at all, really. :|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 12:20 pm

There are none. It's made up of K.Rool Plan B, and original writing.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Firstly, what on Earth is 'Plan B'?

Secondly, why is it listed as a Northern Hemispheres remix, if it's not one?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Metroixer PM'd me that question because he was afraid of being off-topic. It's the short repeating tune that replaces the map after Stronghold Showdown when K.Rool takes DK to the Flying Crock. In the music test of the GBA version, it's called "K.Rool Plan B": It's the closest to an official name.

As for the second question, CFH once asked me that. Maybe Prophecy submitted it as such because it sounded 'wintery'
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Okay, fair enough. I know the music you mean now... but that's from DKC2 (obviously) and Chekan Winter is a DKC remix that was created for a DKC remix project. Your suggestion makes no sense at all, although I can hear why you may think 'Plan B' is involved.

Hang on...

_ddog_ on OCReMix Forum's Chekan Winter review thread wrote:...speaking as a DKC/DKC2 fan who has beaten both games more times than he can count, of course I loved the snow levels because of the beautiful graphics (hey! it's snowing now!) and so of course I recognized immediately the source of the mix...

I must say, that confuses me even further. :|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » April 28th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:In the music test of the GBA version, it's called "K.Rool Plan B": It's the closest to an official name.

No, it's not called K. Rool's Plan B, it's called Krockship.

Appart from this stuff, I want to ask you, what software do you guys use to remix? I mean, I should have used FL-Studio, but I didn't understand how to use it XD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 12:56 pm

I personally use FL Studio, but this isn't the place to discuss software for any longer than this quick mention. :D

Erm, and where is it referred to as 'Krockship'?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » April 28th, 2008, 12:58 pm

¬¬ I should have known XD I'll just check in the NET how to use it =D

Qyzbud wrote:Erm, and where is it referred to as 'Krockship'?

In the GBA music test.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Kiddy: It's been a long time since I played DKC2 GBA, but was sure I remembered that name somewhere in the music test. I thought I remembered that one being it. :?

Qyz: I'm not saying he wanted it to be a remix of it, he probably was going to make it a Northern Hemisphere remix and decided to use Plan B as the main melody since North Hemis has no real melody.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » April 28th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:but was sure I remembered that name somewhere in the music test. I thought I remembered that one being it. :?

You probably confused it with K. Rool 2. Sorry if I sounded mean. ;)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:North Hemis has no real melody

Northern Hemispheres does have substantial melodic parts! I wonder what it takes for you to validate something as a melody... :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 28th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Basically, what l meant was Prophecy probably decided there wasn't enough melody too make a 7 minute out of.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 28th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Well, why not say that, then? :D

The thing I find funny; this so-called K.Rool's Plan B (AKA Krockship) tune you are talking about goes for around seven seconds total before looping... Whereas DKC's snow music has multiple melodies, which are substantially longer, more complex, and (arguably) more interesting to boot. Oh, and then there's the fact that it's from DKC2, which, although a brilliantly scored sequel, is a different game entirely. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

'Lost in Jungle' remix on OC Remix

Postby Qyzbud » October 6th, 2008, 6:04 pm

A new remix of Aquatic Ambience, curiously titled 'Lost in Jungle', was posted over at OC ReMix late last month.

This is quite an interesting piece, blending the pure and serene piano of its intro with an unexpected assortment of synths and other sounds. The assortment of instruments gives Lost in Jungle a refreshingly varied sound, and both the tone and compositional concepts also vary significantly as the track progresses. Certainly not your 'average' Aquatic Ambience remix, and definitely worth a listen.

Check it out.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » October 8th, 2008, 2:31 am

the beginning sounds so sad...
It almost makes me cry
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby DK4Ever » October 8th, 2008, 3:51 pm

Pardon me, but I dont think ANYTHING holds a candle to Thrash the Plank. Snappleman is my hero.

Although, I will say, Simian Symphony (DKC2 Medley), Machina Anesthesia (Fear Factory) and Chekan Winter come pretty close in my opinion.

But yeah, Thrash the Plank.... I luvs it.... LUVS it...
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » October 11th, 2008, 12:15 am

Whoa. I agree, that's cool.
By the way, the links you've posted for Lava Master don't work.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby NS Guy » October 12th, 2008, 4:57 am

Set Sail by blizihizake is really, really, awesome. It's an orchestral remix of Jib Jig.
Tourist

Postby Kiddy14 » October 18th, 2008, 9:18 am

Yeah, I just downloaded Lost in Jungle and think it's so subtil with the piano. Really tremendous work...

Also, I promise I'll never go to Overlooked Remix again...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » October 18th, 2008, 9:27 am

The OLR DKC remixes suck...

...I got a good laugh out of Morbid Obesity though, as rediculous as it was. :lol:

EDIT: This is not a remix, but I couldn't find a topic that would fit the post better...

If there were police cars in DKC2, this is probably how the siren would sound:
DKC2 Police.mp3
(220.07 KiB) Downloaded 1427 times

:lol:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » November 22nd, 2008, 5:18 pm

I've done a few DKC remixes. 8 from DKC2 and 1 from DKC so far.
They're all here: http://sockpuppetremix.newgrounds.com/
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » November 23rd, 2008, 10:08 pm

Thanks for sharing!

They are fairly simple yet faithful orchestral renditions... I really enjoy your take on Jib Jig - that's a stand-out for me, and captures plenty of emotion (which most of the others seem to somewhat lack in comparison). Good job though, you certainly have a knack for what you're doing. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sockpuppet » November 24th, 2008, 10:27 am

Thanks Qyzbud! I'm going to do lots more DKC remixes in future, because it has my favorite VG music ever.

Also, I found this guy on Newgrounds that has heaps of really awesome DKC remixes:
http://thomas.newgrounds.com/audio/
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » December 5th, 2008, 10:03 pm

This one's pretty good.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/145198
Also, I'm listenign to your Forest Interlude Remix Sockpuppet, very nice indeed.
Edit: Also, Bayou boogie and Hot Head Bop. All so far are beautiful.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » December 6th, 2008, 10:21 am

Thanks! =)
I found some more really good ones on Newgrounds.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/77376 Orchestral Jib Jig.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/64451 Symphonic Rock Jib Jig.

http://crimzonwolf777.newgrounds.com/audio/ This guys got some awesome remixes.
I found more somewhere but I need to find them again...
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » December 18th, 2008, 4:10 pm

I listened to some more of yours. Nearly all the DKC ones were excellent, and I downloaded most of them. Also, the Pokemon one was ok too. :) I might listen to your other ones later.
EDIT: Holy Crap! Everyone, I recommend Assembly Line Apparations (from OC Remix) It's a really awesome remix of Haunted Chase.

EDIT: By the way, earlier there was a discussion in this topic about Chekan Winter. It seemed to be very unclear as to what it's a remix of, since it's supposed to be a mix of Northern Hemispheres bhut sounds nothing like it. HOWEVER! Recently, I realised that the start of Chekan Winter is actually quite similar to that of Misty Menace.
What do you think? Yes? No?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Qyzbud » December 19th, 2008, 9:58 am

The track immediately before Chekan Winter on the Kong in Concert album is Clouded Mind and Ringing Ears, which is a Misty Menace remix... but I don't really hear any Misty Menace in Chekan Winter itself. I've started to pick up a few vague similarities between Chekan Winter and its so-called source tune, Northern Hemispheres, but it's only a very loose connection if you ask me. There are so many beautiful and intricate melodies in Northern Hemispheres that are apparently completely overlooked in Chekan Winter... and the few notes that made it into the remix appear to be altered almost beyond recognition.

I'm still baffled that Chekan Winter is considered a Northern Hemispheres remix... :roll:

Perhaps I could interview Prophecy to find out a bit about his artistic decisions and creative processes? Might shed some light on the subject, and give us an interesting feature for the Articles section, too. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » December 19th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Qyzbud wrote:I've enjoyed all of Prot's remixes[...]

Gnawzooka wrote:Holy Crap! Everyone, I recommend Assembly Line Apparations (from OC Remix) It's a really awesome remix of Haunted Chase.

Now that Prot is again mentioned in the topic. Well... I really don't enjoy his stuff :|
Not to offend him, his job looks tremendous and it seems he did really hard to make such kind of remixes, but that's precisely what I don't like about his stuff; he seems, in my opinion, to be much pressured about doing a fantastic job than to have fun with the remix.

Let me explain, there are some remixes, like Trash the Plank or Beneath the Surface, that make me feel the bands really exist, and imagine I'm in a restaurant while the sax guy is playing and people dancing, or being in a concert with some dude with a guitar and another dude beating the drums. Remixes like Lost in Jungle or Blue Vision reminded me of the game and how cool the music is. But in remixes like Assembly Line Apparitions all I hear are heavy instruments, where the majority of them are moduled or synthesized by the program.

Technically, what I hear in KRool Intentions is:
"Wow! This music's so cool! Let's make it more badass!"
While in remixes like Lost in Jungle I hear:
"Wow! This music's so cool! Let me give it a try!"
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » December 19th, 2008, 1:19 pm

No one can get a remix accepted into OCR by "having fun with it". You have to be pressured to do a fantastic job. :roll: The judges are very strict.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » December 19th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Yeah, I know that.
With "having fun", I mean enjoying doing the remix; but with Protricity's it seams he did the remix just for it being accepted. His remixes sound professional, as well as many others in the site; what I'm saying is that I don't feel he's doing the remix for fun, just for having it uploaded in a site and other people saying "Yeh... heavy stuff... cool..."
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » December 19th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Protricity is a phenomenally talented musician. I agree that some of his remixes seem to focus on technical aspects and precision moreso than smoothly flowing, organic sounds. I myself am not all that fond of the Prot mixes you mentioned, but tracks like Brambles in the Breeze and Mechanical Swamp are just perfectly Donkey Kong Country 2, if you ask me.

He's a perfectionist, and it shows in his music.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Gnawzooka » December 19th, 2008, 5:15 pm

Well, I love both K.Rool Intentions and Assembly Line Apparations but in my opinion they go on for too long, and eventually start to decline in...uh...coolness as they go along. That's my only problem with it.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Next

Return to General DKC Discussion