SNES animation

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

SNES animation

Postby Aaendi » April 13th, 2011, 1:21 am

Hello, I'm new to this website. A while ago I was doing SNES homebrewing until I got tired of programming because it is so much work involved. I am also a cartoonist/animator and when I'm programming I sometimes draw too many animation frames for a SNES game, and it gets pretty complicated when it comes to how animation frames are being swapped around.

First you break the 16kB limit, then you have to control your player character through DMA, then you hit the 16kB limit again, and you make certain enemies animated through DMA, you run out of V-blank time, you distribute them between frames, you add a little more to the game and you run into the 16kB limit again, so you have to decide what enemies shouldn't be onscreen at the same time and on and on and on.

I've always been impressed by how Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3 manage to keep so many unique fluidly animated characters and objects onscreen. Has anybody done any research on how they did it?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Re: SNES animation

Postby HavocReaper48 » April 13th, 2011, 9:33 am

While I did not understand 90% of that jargon, I do know that Rare used ACM (Advanced Computer Modeling), which involves taking full 3D computer generated characters and animations, and compressing them into sprites.

(source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKC#Graphics )
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Re: SNES animation

Postby Aaendi » April 13th, 2011, 11:25 am

HavocReaper48 wrote:While I did not understand 90% of that jargon, I do know that Rare used ACM (Advanced Computer Modeling), which involves taking full 3D computer generated characters and animations, and compressing them into sprites.

(source- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DKC#Graphics )

That's not what I was talking about.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Return to General DKC Discussion