Cool DKC Trilogy Tricks (Post Here)

Discussion of the DKC series as a whole.
Post here if the theme of your discussion isn't directed at one specific game.

Re: Cool DKC Trilogy Tricks (Post Here)

Postby WesternTanager794 » February 18th, 2023, 9:50 pm

Also, yes, I have figured out on how to get Parry to the end of level 4-1 in DKC3. I was hoping for a soft-lock. Nope, nothing happened. Parry just flitted around the flagpole. I'll post a screenshot.
Screenshot (2).png
Dixie did it!

:parry: :parry: :parry: :parry: :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » February 19th, 2023, 8:12 pm

So I was playing Dixie Kong Country when I found this fun thing.

I had a save state set up for this exact purpose when I let go of Y...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » February 24th, 2023, 8:22 pm

Im going to take a closer look into the castle crush glitch. I also caused a glitched sprite that I can't identify. Video coming soon!
:parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » February 26th, 2023, 2:40 pm

Scrolly-scroll insanity! I got stuck in a ceiling in Hornet Hole and was stuck. If I remember correctly though, I could climb on the opposite side of the honey, inside the wall. :dixiehappy: :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » February 26th, 2023, 3:29 pm

Here it is!

Also, though Diddy might have given this away, I found a new damage boost to end the scrolly-scroll. Just wait to descend into the barrel cannon after damage boosting from the bee. Holding down while going into the barrel cannon is probably faster than the conventional strat. Snagging the DK barrel along the way. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » February 27th, 2023, 1:08 pm

Found an interesting Windy Well manipulation. I'm still experimenting with it. I caused an invisible object which seems to manipulate the properties of the barrel cannon in the beginning of the level. As in the distance of firing, etcetera. That's what I've found so far, but I'm actively looking for more. Does anyone know how to enable the component loader of any emulator. At this point, I would be happy to download any kind of emulator to just figure this part out. I actively use Snes9x, and I have Bsnes on the computer, so those would be preferred. Thanks! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 11th, 2023, 3:41 pm

I used the castle crush soft lock glitch to turn into a sprite I can't identify. When I repeat it, I will post an image. It might have been a dead Krow. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 4th, 2023, 12:09 pm

I found a slime climb glitch, a bramble blast discovery, and a new bramble scramble wrong warp strat! More details coming soon! Oh, and if Squawks touches the brambles without kongs, he dies anyway as a animal buddy in Bramble Scramble. Had to do with the invisible object. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 15th, 2023, 11:52 am

I completely forgot about posting the stuff above. Also, more discoveries. I can kill a flotsam with a barrel in Lockjaw's Locker. If you toss the barrel above your head and to the right, it will not break upon water contact. When it hit the flotsam, it killed it. Very weird death animation. It shot to the right. I take it that that is not normal.

Guess what! Diddy has a new beetle-clashing strat I found! Jump into a beetle and clash using Diddy, the moment you hit it. It is faster.

Also, I found a more optimal way to do Bramble Scramble wrong warp. It requires not killing the krook or touching the hook after you grab the invisible object. And you can climb completely optimally and not have to climb the last half of the vine rope. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 15th, 2023, 6:16 pm

More!
We all know that if you duck while falling underwater you slide to the bottom. If you jump right after, though, you end up at the level you were before you fell. Excluding if the water level is below that. (I think)

If you start a roll after you toss a TNT barrel at a certain point of it's animation, you get a extended roll, essentially one very long roll that lags the rolling animation, but you get the length of two rolls. A time saver of the usual strat in Kannon's Klaim where you don't do the super team toss into the warp barrel. This extended roll probably saves at least a second chopping off the roughly 5 second time loss of not doing the difficult strat of performing the optimal team toss.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 15th, 2023, 9:57 pm

Ghostly Grove wrong warp? I haven't perfected it yet, but it is possible. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 7th, 2023, 5:43 pm

I was performing the turn around strat in Pirate Panic to save frames, and I discovered this hitbox anomaly.
:dixiehappy:
:scratch:
Screenshot (436).png

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 14th, 2023, 7:26 pm

Something funny. Can anyone guess how I got here? Dixie is confused on how she got all the way to the top without damaging Krow.
Screenshot (446).png

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 14th, 2023, 7:30 pm

Also, I tried to crash the game by overloading it by bringing every object I could onscreen. Treasure chests, Klobber, Rambi (twice), barrels, dk barrels, etc and then a couple of kritters. The game began to starting hiding sprites and lagging enormously, and then guess what! Every single sprite in the level disappeared. Any ideas? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 16th, 2023, 12:16 pm

On Krow, i did a frame perfect 1.0 glitch. The infinite team toss. I essentially soft locked the game once I got to the second cycle area, and by the third, soft locked as well. I used the Framr advance function, though, since I am not that consistent at it. The Castle Climb speedrunning trick is that. Infinite teamtossing can save over a minute over the autoscroller. Probably two in the course of the whole level. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 17th, 2023, 5:06 pm

Not necessarily relevant, but I found a way to execute a previously tas only trick. The TAS uses it to save about a second, but will it be adopted? :scratch: :parry:

:EDIT: rolling through klobbers in ghostly grove.

Also, I found a new path that saves two seconds in pirate panic all dk coins category.
Going through the warp: 24.44 with LUA timer
Standard Route: 26.42 with LUA timer.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 20th, 2023, 10:03 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:Crazy glitch!

I have a theory. The exit is despawned. It happens in other levels too. I’ll get proof soon. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 21st, 2023, 8:16 pm

The first glitch here in this video I can't solve.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 23rd, 2023, 7:47 pm

WesternTanager794 wrote:
WesternTanager794 wrote:Crazy glitch!

I have a theory. The exit is despawned. It happens in other levels too. I’ll get proof soon. :parry:

I got a lua script up and running and discovered that in a huge amount of levels, the exit is despawned. Yet with the exit despawned, I was not able to get it to work. Something else is at play. I had to get a different version of snes9x to run lua, and I don't have a rom to get me there. Does anyone have a completed rom? Or at least to world 5? Thanks! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 29th, 2023, 9:36 am

Guess what! You can phase through enemies! Video soon. Can anyone figure out how to do it? :diddywink: In DKC2. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 29th, 2023, 2:42 pm

An oldie but a goodie! :)

Made 04/08/22
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 30th, 2023, 4:49 am

is this sfr rta viable? Either way, still cool! is it different from your other video because of your timer? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 30th, 2023, 8:34 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:is this sfr

sJr

WesternTanager794 wrote:rta viable?

From the video description.
"This is an SJR in 4-3. This was barely faster, but not deemed good for RTA. "

WesternTanager794 wrote:is it different from your other video because of your timer?

Did I ever post this? If so, I forget/am sorry.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 30th, 2023, 11:02 am

Sorry for the mixup with the SJR, Rainbow Sprinklez.

Also, why does the game crash here? I don’t know. First glitch in the video. Matt, Rainbow Sprinklez, anyone have an idea on this?

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 30th, 2023, 2:24 pm

Pretty sure I know, but I'll post tomorrow. I need sleep.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 30th, 2023, 9:15 pm

WesternTanager794 wrote:Also, why does the game crash here? I don’t know. First glitch in the video. Matt, Rainbow Sprinklez, anyone have an idea on this?

I don't know the specific address, Matt could help you there, but I'm assuming that was because Krow's eggs were never programmed for an interaction with a held item. Notice how the game crashes when Krow's egg collides with a held item. Curious, that Krow's eggs even have that interaction bit set. Maybe at one point interaction was intended but scrapped? Idk. Matt? Do you have any insight here?

EDIT***
Maybe because you could pick up Krow 1's eggs?
It's the held item that scans collision, so it was the barrel not knowing what to do when hitting an egg, not as I previously stated.
Normally the egg is flagged for collision only with other eggs. This goes by a 'interact with held item' bit. So the game's held egg scans for what it collides with. The problem was you held a barrel. That doesn't have programming for collision with an egg. It is all about the held item

This is all guesswork in a store-brand coat! But that seems right.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 31st, 2023, 6:19 am

Thanks for your thirty-five cents on that, Rainbow Sprinklez! I assumed that it had a collision detection issue. But in Krow I, the eggs don’t crash the game when in contact with barrels. Which makes me think that the falling eggs have different attributes. As in the eggs in Krow II. I hacked in barrels for Krow I. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » May 31st, 2023, 10:20 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:Thanks for your thirty-five cents on that, Rainbow Sprinklez! I assumed that it had a collision detection issue. But in Krow I, the eggs don’t crash the game when in contact with barrels. Which makes me think that the falling eggs have different attributes. As in the eggs in Krow II. I hacked in barrels for Krow I.

I assume then it is part of the code for that variant of falling eggs specifically. Then. Idk. I can only guess at this point.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 31st, 2023, 10:52 am

I guess so. Either Matt has an explanation or I break out a lua script.
I found another glitch. Skip to the end. Way back in the day you asked me to "find more zips for us please" arctic zip in dkc3. Combined with a double frame perfect 2-1 jump.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 4th, 2023, 6:43 pm

No proof, but in Barrel Bayou I had a red rhino as a secondary kong instead of Diddy while riding Rambi. Sometimes he would flicker back but he stayed Diddy when I got to the no Rambi sign. Any ideas? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 19th, 2023, 9:19 am

I'm going to publish the route in question soon. Any ideas, Mattrizzle and RainbowSprinklez? I haven't been able to recreate it, though. Which is too bad.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 22nd, 2023, 7:34 pm

Interesting. Any ideas what it was for?

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 22nd, 2023, 9:05 pm

It happened again! I sadly didn't record the footage on making it happen, though.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » June 23rd, 2023, 11:29 am

Maybe the mystery barrel was an early warp barrel before Rare decided to remove it?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » June 23rd, 2023, 1:39 pm

Maybe. I’ll see if I can extrapolate data from it. You might be right! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Previous

Return to General DKC Discussion