Dixie My Dixie!

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

Dixie My Dixie!

Postby ProfessionalUsername » February 7th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Apologies for being so bold, this being my first post and all, but I just started playing this game (excellent so far, just finished island 2), I noticed, is Dixie more girly and youthful or is it just me?

The eyelashes and earrings, the reaction to completing a stage, or in any cinematic, seems to contradict the guitar playin', "cool girl" bubblegum blowin', type'a kong that I remembered her from from her Rareware appearances.

Wasn't it the 3rd game that added more of a sense of youthfulness to her, though? Such as :dixiecry: when Big Boy Baby Blue hurled her to the hard surface, or the "Game Over" card showing her in, a crib wasn't it?

But even still, she just seemed portrayed a little differently than how the latest game interprets her.

Anyone else notice a difference? She often seemed like a counterpart to Diddy, both oozing a sense of "kool kong" about themselves.

Again, excellent game so far. I do like how the other Kongs are portrayed. Funky's even cooler than before, he's given me free red balloons.... ON THE HOUSE! What a swell guy, I tells ya. Although, accepting those gifts, could I wind up having to do him some favors? Oh geeze, Funky gonna break my legs!
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Re: Dixie My Dixie!

Postby Qyzbud » February 8th, 2015, 12:22 am

Welcome to DKC Atlas, ProfessionalUsername! That's a mighty... er, businesslike... uh, pseudonym... you have there. :P

I tend to agree with you about Dixie having a more childish/cutesy way about her in Tropical Freeze than she did back in the Rareware days, but I'm not entirely convinced of there being any such change for her between DKC2 and DKC3. There was definitely a more childish vibe in DKC3, but Dixie herself seemed pretty much the same to me as she did in DKC2 — even the crying when thrown/losing a life was exactly the same, I think. That said, I have to admit that her electric guitar skills did give her something of an edge in DKC2.

By the way, I'm with you on Funky being a swell guy; although he's changed outfits and occupations more times over the years than any other Kong — and yes, he's even been an arms dealer/gorilla warfare facilitator — he's always been "one cool Kong" in my book. :funky:

If anyone's out to break your legs, I'd say it'd be one of these guys: :bashmaster: :rant:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby ProfessionalUsername » February 8th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Now there's a topic to be had: " Which Donkey Kong Character is more likely to break your legs?"

One has a jetpack, the other plays guitar. They go on pirate adventures, ride skull rollercoasters..... I can't think of a more awesome pair in videogame history, when it comes to Mr. Diddy and Ms. Dixie. Would love their dynamic further explored in future games.

*corrects professional tie in a professional manner as I prepare taxes in a very important conference room*
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby JadeRose » June 18th, 2015, 7:23 am

Now there's a topic to be had: " Which Donkey Kong Character is more likely to break your legs?"

I now possess a desperate urge to draw a mafia interpretation of the DKC crew. Cranky as... the Kong Father. *le gasp!*

Hm. Haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, so I don't know much about Dixie's characterization in that game. Surprised I haven't given into the urge to spoil the entire game for myself, yet. (Top of my wishlist if I get that new job, though!)

But, yeah, I never noticed a big change in her character between DKC 2 and 3, either. Even though she was in the crib with Kiddy in the game over screen, she had this comical "You gotta be freakin' kidding me" look on her face. The kind of look you'd give if you had to be dragged down with your younger sibling or sibling figure. A look I'm alllll to familiar with, being an older sister. Ha ha!

As for Funky, I guess I never realized how much of a Renaissance monkey he is. Ha ha, "gorilla warfare facilitator." I love my life right now.
Tourist
Bananas received 13

Postby ProfessionalUsername » July 11th, 2015, 11:34 am

JadeRose wrote:

I now possess a desperate urge to draw a mafia interpretation of the DKC crew. Cranky as... the Kong Father. *le gasp!*

Hm. Haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, so I don't know much about Dixie's characterization in that game. Surprised I haven't given into the urge to spoil the entire game for myself, yet. (Top of my wishlist if I get that new job, though!)

But, yeah, I never noticed a big change in her character between DKC 2 and 3, either. Even though she was in the crib with Kiddy in the game over screen, she had this comical "You gotta be freakin' kidding me" look on her face. The kind of look you'd give if you had to be dragged down with your younger sibling or sibling figure. A look I'm alllll to familiar with, being an older sister. Ha ha!

As for Funky, I guess I never realized how much of a Renaissance monkey he is. Ha ha, "gorilla warfare facilitator." I love my life right now.

If you do happen to find yourself in possession of this game, certainly go for the multiplayer mode (it's a light from the other world).
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze