So, what did you think of this game?

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

So, what did you think of this game?

Postby Addie » August 24th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has been out for quite a while....so I was wondering what everyone thought of it. Even if you haven't played it, do you like what you've seen? As for me, I've beaten this game 3 times, collected quite a bit of the unlockable content and I've just played it to death. Needless to say...I love this game. Its my favorite Donkey Kong Country game so far and its the first game to make me legitimately glad to own a Wii U. (Nintendo needs to get off their bums and release some more games already)

I think its way more accessible than Returns because its level design is a bit more friendly to the player while still remaining challenging. Its not as punishing as Returns but I think its about as difficult as a Donkey Kong Country needs to be. But on top of that the levels are SUPER replayable and each one has its own gimmick, visual style and music track that makes them all feel different. My only issues with the gameplay is the underwater controls and the rocket barrel sections. Donkey Kong underwater controls like...well a monkey swimming underwater. He's very difficult to control underwater and its very easy for him to go careening off into a hazard. And then...the rocket barrel. I'm not a fan of it at all and for some reason someone at Retro Studios thought it would be a brilliant idea to bring them back. Its just not fun for me and thank god there are only 4 stages with it.

Speaking of music, this game's soundtrack is incredible. The amount of effort that was placed into the soundtrack for this game is astounding. (they even made music for the individual checkpoints. WHO DOES THAT?!) While pretty much every song in Returns that wasn't a remix of an older song was forgettable (and on top of that the game just had generally bad sound quality), I can't think of a single track I don't like. Trunk Twister, Busted Bayou, Windmill Hills, Horn Top Hop, Sawmill Thrill AND its beginning section music, Wing Ding, Funky's Shop, Grassland Groove, Twilight Terror, Canon Canyon, Deep Keep, Amiss Abyss, Irate Eight, Harvest Hazards, Frosty Fruits, Punch Bowl, Seashore War and Aquaduct Assault are my faves....just to name a few. One of my only issues is that some remixes feel like they're favored more than others. Aquatic Ambiance gets not one, not two, but THREE remixes, Lockjaw's Saga gets two and some random song from the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3 nobody cares about gets two remixes for some reason. And then we get to the rocket barrel...bleh. Its bad enough the song recurs 4 times, but one of them completely overlaps the fantastic Stickerbrush Symphony remix. Sure, the songs sound fine but a little variety in the rocket barrel music would have been nice.

The reintroduction Dixie Kong and the addition of Cranky are fun additions to the game which add a little bit of variety, but honestly I found myself using Dixie ALL the time! Diddy just feels like a weaker Dixie and I only remember using Cranky when he's needed to get a puzzle piece or something. Plus, Dixie is needed to access most of the secret exits, and that's kinda silly. I wish Diddy and Cranky had more utility, and its also a shame you can't play as them by themselves outside of Co-Op and hard mode. It seems kinda silly to me.

Hard mode is kinda silly too. I don't mind you can only take 1 hit, but did they really have to remove checkpoints too? It feels like they're rubbing salt in an open wound! Also you can buy stuff at Funky's shop...except the only things I bought on my initial playthroughs were extra lives and didn't end up buying other things until I went after all the Kong pieces. Speaking of which, the collectables are a mixed bag. The KONG letters are always on the main path and the puzzle pieces you have to go out of your way to find. For some reason you loose all your KONG letters whenever replaying a stage so you have to get them in 1 go and thats kinda dumb. And I wouldn't have a problem with the puzzle pieces but some of them are hidden in jerkish locations, some of them even appearing AFTER the goal. I hate that! There is also no variety in the bonus stages (aside from layouts, that is). All of them are collect the bananas.

But other than the rocket barrel and other questionable decisions, Tropical Freeze has to be one of my favorite games ever. Its great fun, I've played it many times already and Ill probably play it even more times in the future. Thanks for reading my mini-essay on why I think this game is so good!

What do you think?
Tourist
Bananas received 46

Re: So, what did you think of this game?

Postby Qyzbud » August 25th, 2014, 1:32 am

I absolutely love Tropical Freeze.

So far, I've only completed the game once, and have yet to find every secret, or make significant progress in Time Attack or Hard Mode... but this is certainly not a reflection of how much I enjoy playing the game. Tropical Freeze is a lot of fun to play, and the extra modes are great for those looking for more challenge and extra accomplishments; I certainly plan to unlock/discover/complete everything the game has to offer, over time. :)

You mentioned your appreciation for the music, and I must say this aspect of the game stood out to me, too. Part of me was worried that David Wise's style might have changed over the years to become something that wouldn't so beautifully complement the DKC world, but thankfully, this is far from the case. Unrestrained by the complexities and harsh limitations of the Super Nintendo's sound hardware, Wise's beautifully composed tunes really shine, and have fidelity and dynamics I've never heard from him before. Time will tell if the melodies and soundscapes he composed for Tropical Freeze will be as memorable as his 16-bit efforts, but my ears tell me that they're in with a chance.

All this talk of Tropical Freeze had me break away from the computer and play a few levels... Hard Mode is brutal. I love it. B/

As for the rocket levels; although I don't harbour any particular resentment for them, I do feel like they are fairly slow and mundane compared with the rest of the game(s). It's ironic that the rockets in Retro's games actually slow down gameplay — not only the rocket barrel levels, but Diddy's rocket barrel, too — they both are best avoided if you're in the mood for fast-paced gameplay.

You know, it's funny that you mention the awkwardness of the Kongs' underwater controls, and your dislike of the rocket levels... it's almost like the control of the rocket levels is based on the classic underwater gameplay; tap jump to go up, do nothing to go down. In fact, this reminds me of a discussion I had earlier today with Super Luigi!

As for having to collect all KONG letters in one playthrough, I personally see this as a nod to how they worked in the original DKC trilogy, and DKL; KONG letters were never something that had any value or permanence individually, but were all about collecting the whole set. It wouldn't have bothered me if the game saved each one as it was collected, but then they'd have been more or less just like the puzzle pieces. It's nice that they had that familiar "all or nothing" aspect about them, I think. Oh, and having to trek to out-of-the-way locations (such as after the end-of-level barrel) suits me just fine; I love having reasons to explore!

Anyhow, I do miss the Kremlings, animal buddies and helper Kongs, but thankfully Retro have given us consolation prizes in lieu of truly satisfying these needs; the Snomads are a cool bunch of enemies, underwater levels (and underwater attacks — even though we don't have Enguarde) are now present, and having four playable Kongs goes a long way toward making the adventure feel like a family affair. I only hope that a third installation in the Retro DKC series becomes a reality, and we're treated to all of the stuff we've been missing since Rare were at the helm...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » August 25th, 2014, 2:33 am

I think this game was excellent, based solely on the effort put into it.

Listen, I've beaten the whole entire game with Red Kiddy Kong, earned at least a Hearty Gold Medal in every level, and completed Hard Mode 2 1/6 times. Tropical Freeze has much effort put into it, and for that, I respect it. However, it doesn't quite respect it's elders enough for me. :rant:

Basically, Enguarde and the other animal buddies are gone, the underwater controls are terrible, and the levels themselves aren't too fun to play through, regarding replay value. You know, I respect DK as much as the next guy, but I shouldn't be forced to be him all the time. Perhaps that's part of the reason why DKC 2 and 3 are great to me? We still have Rambi in only three levels, and Squawks still has a demeaning role finding puzzle pieces.

And speaking of those evil Banjo-Kazooie plot devices, they and their bonus stages should all be burned in a fire. I mean, how about we actually hide the bonus stages, GIVE THEM VARIETY, and use them to unlock a Lost World that actually has great music with no flying fish in sight? Wouldn't that be great? Doesn't the idea of a classic DKC concept seem like a good thing to have in Tropical Freeze? And no, the KONG letters aren't safe either, because now they're used to pay Klubba in each world.

David Wise has done an excellent job, as he always will. He knows DKC's music inside and out. After all, he did help invent it. Oh, but speaking of music, I actively despise Twlight Terror and all other rocket barrel levels even more so now. You do NOT turn Stickerbrush Symphony into Sonic 2's Death Egg Zone by playing 5 seconds of it, before switching to another music track.

In conclusion, I really hoped for more from this DKC: Tropical Freeze. Returns had problems, sure, but it was the first Country game in 14 years, and was being made by someone else (supposedly fans of the original trilogy, ha ha!), so I gave it some leeway. But Tropical Freeze? No. Retro Studios had a little over three years to listen to the DKC fans and make changes, yet they refused to do anything except add Dixie and water levels. They wouldn't sacrifice their precious formula for a little bit of fun, or even to just make the game like its predecessors.

Nevertheless, I still want a new DKC game. If Retro Studios makes yet another one, which they probably will, I sincerely hope they'll stop with their rubbish and make a DKC game worth remembering. They have two strikes against them, perhaps they'll redeem themselves before it's too late? Oh wait! :krool:

Yeah, speaking of him, Kremlings need to return. No Tikis, no arctic animals, just K. Rool and the Kremling Krew sailing onto DK Island to take over. Hopefully, Cranky will stop playing Duck Tales, and Kiddy will return by then.

Here's to greatly wasted potential! :swanky:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Addie » August 25th, 2014, 5:43 am

Qyzbud wrote:As for having to collect all KONG letters in one playthrough, I personally see this as a nod to how they worked in the original DKC trilogy, and DKL; KONG letters were never something that had any value or permanence individually, but were all about collecting the whole set. It wouldn't have bothered me if the game saved each one as it was collected, but then they'd have been more or less just like the puzzle pieces. It's nice that they had that familiar "all or nothing" aspect about them, I think. Oh, and having to trek to out-of-the-way locations (such as after the end-of-level barrel) suits me just fine; I love having reasons to explore!

I agree that they should have been saved. I know they're like how the ones in the old games were but they serve a completely different purpose in these new games.

Qyzbud wrote:Anyhow, I do miss the Kremlings, animal buddies and helper Kongs, but thankfully Retro have given us consolation prizes in lieu of truly satisfying these needs; the Snomads are a cool bunch of enemies, underwater levels (and underwater attacks — even though we don't have Enguarde) are now present, and having four playable Kongs goes a long way toward making the adventure feel like a family affair. I only hope that a third installation in the Retro DKC series becomes a reality, and we're treated to all of the stuff we've been missing since Rare were at the helm...

If they ever make a third DKCR then the Kremlings better come back. It would be a perfect sendoff for DKC for another while, but having new foes again wouldn't kill me ^^

Super Luigi! wrote:Basically, Enguarde and the other animal buddies are gone, the underwater controls are terrible, and the levels themselves aren't too fun to play through, regarding replay value. You know, I respect DK as much as the next guy, but I shouldn't be forced to be him all the time. Perhaps that's part of the reason why DKC 2 and 3 are great to me? We still have Rambi in only three levels, and Squawks still has a demeaning role finding puzzle pieces.

Ah yes...the animal buddies, I forgot to mention them. I really REALLY hate how they handled them in the new series. It seems like the only times you ever use Rambi is when you need him for beating a level, and nothing else. I always saw them as neat powerups rather than ANOTHER vehicle to drive around. Also was it just me or was he kinda unresponsive? The water world could have been a wonderful opportunity to reintroduce Enguarde but nope...so yeah I agree there was lots of potential for this game to be more like a retro DKC experience. I don't really mind playing as DK alone though.
Tourist
Bananas received 46

Postby Red Kiddy Kong » August 25th, 2014, 6:08 am

Two words........Kiddy Kong [walks out like a boss]
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 7

Postby Jeeves » August 25th, 2014, 10:24 am

What do I think about Tropical Freeze? Well, for the first time since 1995 I have a new favorite video game. I think that, in and of itself, says quite a bit. Without writing a novel, I'll try to elaborate a little on why I love the game so much.

The music has definitely always been a major element of the Donkey Kong Country experience. That they bothered to get Dave Wise involved is proof that Retro cares about pleasing fans of the original trilogy. They could just as easily have had the same composers who tackled Returns handle this game, and I'm assuming that option would have been cheaper as well. Retro went the distance, however, and gave us Dave Wise. He definitely brought his A game to the table. His remixes blew Returns' remixes out of the water, and his new tracks seem poised to become classics. Despite Tropical Freeze not being a cookie-cutter sequel to the original trilogy, Mr. Wise proved he could craft music to fit the stages just as well in 2014 as he could in 1994.

The return of water levels was also a major factor in my overall enjoyment of Tropical Freeze. Once again, Retro showed us that they listen to the demands of fans. The swimmng controls have been rebuilt from the ground up, and I much prefer them to the slower swimming of the original trilogy. The addition of an underwater attack was much appreciated, and helped balance the fact that for the first time ever the Kongs have to actively seek air to avoid drowning. I'm not particularly fond of this air meter, but I like that it kept the swimming portions challenging. Overall, my biggest gripe about the water levels is the lack of Enguarde. I feel that, if nothing else, he could have been worked in as an aquatic alternative to rocket barrels.

Speaking of Enguarde, while I wasn't totally satisfied, I was pleased with the number of returning characters. We got everybody back who appeared in Returns, including getting a name for Professor Chops. We also got Dixie and Funky back as well. It was amazing to play as Cranky for the first time in a proper platformer, and for that alone I'm willing to forgive the lack of Kiddy. The game could have used more Animal Buddies, both returning and original, but I believe there was an interview where Tanabe said that was a problem he hoped to address. I will grant that I would have liked to have seen more familiar faces, particularly some scaly green ones, but overall I'm quite satisfied with what we got. Afterall, if every previously occurring character had appeared, what would we have left to hope for in a sequel?

I haven't covered nearly everything I like about the game, but I think I have covered all of my complaints. I hope I've done an adequate job of making clear why I feel as I do about the game. Anyone with questions can feel free to ask me, and I encourage anyone who reads this topic to respond. I love hearing what others think, and I'm always up for a good debate, as long as it remains respectful.
Tourist
Bananas received 11

Postby sonosublime » September 1st, 2014, 1:47 pm

Best entry to the series since DKC2. I wouldn't mind if the Snowmads became DK's new arch enemies.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Ribbedebie » December 25th, 2014, 12:48 am

I agree with just about everything Jeeves said there. Especially the bit about David Wise.

And really, I'm a bit confused why people are still bitter about no Kremlings? The Snowmads are, just as much, a bunch of really funny, characteristic little chaps and I think their variety in species puts them a little above the crocodiles, for me at least. (It's like some people only want old things to be rehashed and if it's too similar, they get mad, but if it's too different they'll get mad too. It's funny if you think about it, really..)

Ahem... sorry about that little rant there. I think Tropical Freeze is as good, if not better, as the original trilogy. Returns was amazing, and what made TF better than Returns is that we thought it couldn't get better than Returns. Yet, it did. Tropical Freeze more than made up for everything I felt was missing. And it has Cranky Kong, Dixie Kong, and David Wise. And the levels are amazing. C'mon, what's not to love about that? It, too, managed to become a new favourite game for me. I love it.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze