The Time Attack & Leaderboard thread

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

The Time Attack & Leaderboard thread

Postby Blaziken257 » February 25th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Various Donkey Kong games have had some sort of a Time Attack feature, but as some people know, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze introduces a leaderboard for Time Attack, so you can find out how well your best time stacks against other people in the world. You can see the top 8 times in the world, your friends' times, and people with similar times as you. You can also see replays of these times as well, which can help you to see strategies that people use so that you can improve your own times.

I'm curious to how much time people spend trying to make it on the top of the leaderboards in all the levels. As for me, I have been trying to this myself on various levels, though it is common for me to see myself just barely make the top 8 just because I am slower by a few tenths or even hundredths of a second than other people. For example, in 3-5 Twilight Terror, I manage to be too slow by .34 seconds, and this seemingly insignificant error is enough to place me in 27th:

Spoiler!

Nevertheless, I have managed to make it in the top 8 in a couple of levels. The first of these is 3-6 Cannon Canyon. With a time of 1:02.51, I, as of the time of this post, have the #4 ranking in the world:

Spoiler!

The second of these is 5-2 Reckless Ride. I get a time of 2:22.22 here (how fitting!). I currently have the #3 ranking here!

Spoiler!

It's amazing how much a fraction of a second can make a difference. I'm also trying a few other levels, and will probably try some difficult ones, since it's likely that less people will attempt them.

Having said all of this... have any of you tried to compete for the leaderboards? And have any of you been successful at making it in the global top rank of any level? I'm curious to hear your stories! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: The Time Attack & Leaderboard thread

Postby Super Luigi! » February 26th, 2014, 2:37 am

I may not be trying to be the absolute best, but since I'm going for a Shiny Gold medal in all the levels, may I post my times? Or is this thread more focused on who's in the Top 8?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Blaziken257 » February 26th, 2014, 2:55 am

Well, this is the Time Attack & Leaderboard thread, so sure, why not! I guess I got too carried away from mentioning the top 8 times earlier...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Super Luigi! » March 21st, 2014, 3:02 pm

OK, so I finally decided to post my times. Here they are, Shiny Gold with Love. :dixiehappy:

1-1 Mangrove Cove 01:39.52
1-2 Shipwreck Shore 00:57.15
1-A Zip-Line Shrine 01:35.65

Oh, and these might well be the only time trials I try. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll continue to frustrate myself! :rant: But as for now, I wanted to bring some life into Blaziken257's topic. :banana:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Blaziken257 » March 31st, 2014, 4:15 pm

Your times are pretty fast. I barely practiced those levels, so my best times for those levels are:

1-1 Mangrove Cove: 01:45.61 [No heart]
1-2 Shipwreck Shore: 01:16.71 [Heart]
1-A Zip-Line Shrine: 01:59.91 [No heart]

I should practice those levels more often... heck, the latter two times only got me silver medals!

Here's a screenshot of my best times for Lost Mangroves:

Spoiler!

So far, they're not that spectacular. That's because I focus most of my efforts on a few specific levels.

Now, I have still been continuing to attempt to make it to the leaderboards in some levels. I've been practicing 6-3 Aqueduct Assault a lot lately, and after over 6 hours of practice (approximately, and this wasn't done in one sitting, rather spread out over several days), I got a time of 00:59.10:

Spoiler!

This landed me the #1 spot! I was only trying to make it onto the leaderboards initially, but I was persistent enough to move my way up (I started out at #6 with 00:59.79, then at #4 with 00:59.49, and now I'm #1). I honestly wasn't expecting to be able to reach this high, but I did! I'm sure someone will beat it eventually though. Anyway, here's a screenshot of the current leaderboard for 6-3 Aqueduct Assault:

Spoiler!

I'll post more later, but it's getting late for me right now, so I should stop here.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Jeeves » August 23rd, 2014, 3:22 pm

I've quite enjoyed this feature of the game. I'm nowhere near being a world record holder, but I have achieved at least gold on every level. I'm now working on getting shiny gold heart runs on every level with the default Kong. So far I've conquered all but two levels in the first world, as well as a few bosses and most of the mine cart and rocket barrel levels. Overall, this seems to be an easier goal than getting all of the shiny golds in Returns.

Anybody interested in comparing times is welcome to add me as a friend on Miiverse. My Nintendo Network ID is D_VAID.
Tourist
Bananas received 11

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze