The music in the original trailer

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

The music in the original trailer

Postby Blaziken257 » February 24th, 2014, 3:08 pm

There's something that I just realized, and it's bugging me... in the original trailer for this game, there was music that was basically a remix of Chase from the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3 (which in turn is a remix of DK Island Swing from the original DKC). Here is the video of this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DueE8vJXpo8

Now, the reason why this is bugging me is because I got to the last boss (which I have yet to beat, though) and I have not heard the music at all. Now, I'm aware that there are plenty of secret levels, most of which I haven't found, so I'm thinking there is a small chance that this music is heard in one of these levels. Now, to anybody who has beaten the entire game, I have to ask... is this the case? Or was this music scrapped entirely? I would be bummed out if it was never actually used, because I really liked it.

I also could have sworn that when I went to the Best Buy demo in June, this music was used for the first level... but I don't remember for sure. Partly because it was so long ago now, and partly because there was so much noise going on during that time that it was hard to hear much.

EDIT: I also recall that when I went to the Best Buy demo, the title screen had entirely different music -- it sounded like the title screen in the first DKC, though it was different from DKCR's title screen. Basically, it was a unique remix. I should find some videos of the demo...

EDIT 2: So I did find a video of the Best Buy demo, and the music was indeed used in the first level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs2ftLU9Eo4

Now I am further convinced that this music was removed (or at least made unused, who knows). And in that case... why?! As if it wasn't enough that Boss Bossanova wasn't used in DKL2, now I have to wonder about this mystery!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: The music in the original trailer

Postby Qyzbud » February 25th, 2014, 8:15 am

Hey yeah... it'd be a shame not to have that music featured anywhere. I've not fully completed the game yet (am just now enjoying the enchantingly beautiful music of 5-3 Fruity Factory), so I can't shed any light on the subject, but I certainly hope that music will become available in some form, as it's quite an excellent version of the original (DKC)/revised (DKC3) track.

By gum, this game does have some exquisite music. :dixiehappy:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Geno » February 25th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Hmmm, that's strange.

The only BRSTM of "remixed" music (remixed from previous DKC games) for this game that has been currently made IS this track. :scratch:

On the website I got it from, it was referred to as "Temple".

Maybe it IS used...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Blaziken257 » March 1st, 2014, 2:07 pm

Well, it turns out that it is used, just not in the first level. I just unlocked 2-K Bopopolis, and it is used there. I'm guessing that some other temple levels have this music as well (though I know that 1-K Swinger Flinger and 3-K Precarious Pendulums have different music -- I have no idea about the other temples though).

I certainly feel calmer about this now...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze