Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Talk about Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U (and Switch!), developed by Retro Studios.

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Postby Qyzbud » April 18th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:To those who own this game, can anyone tell me if the game or manual make any reference to Cranky's relationship to DK? Returns still calls him his grandpa, I just wanna see if that's followed up on.

I don't recall any specific mention in-game (will get back to you if I notice one), but the "manual" (a single-sheet "action guide") refers to Cranky as
Donkey Kong's hard-headed, curmudgeonly elder
— a convenient term to let Retro dodge specificity. ;)

Tiptup Jr. wrote:And in response to Super Luigi's "I'm turning into Tiptup Jr." comment: I lol'd. And welcome to the world of common sense and rational thought.

I lol'd. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 19th, 2014, 7:14 am

With that last bit I meant, I think I have pretty good reasons for not liking Retro's games, I don't bow down and worship them whenever they slap "Donkey Kong Country" on the cover of something. (Not saying that's what you guys do, just an example.)

And yeah, I guess the video game instruction booklet is a dead artform these days. Oh well. Lately I've just reverted back to the good ol' "DK is a grown-up DK Jr." school of thought and you can argue it's Rare's last definitive word on the matter (DK64 and Scribes) discounting the ports which just recycled the "grandfather" references from the SNES games.

I wonder what the new Smash Bros. will have to say about all this. Well, I just wanted to ask about it, I guess I'll duck out of this thread. Everyone enjoy your non-Rambi animal buddies and Kremlings.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Super Luigi! » April 25th, 2014, 3:03 pm

So many weeks ago, I finished this game 200%. Now, I'm going to tell Nintendo via their survey what I think about it. Here's a copy of what I shall send them.

Spoiler!
1. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being the maximum, how would you rate your satisfaction with this game?

95 points.

2. How satisfied were you with this game?

Extremely satisfied

Very satisfied :banana:

Somewhat satisfied

Neutral

Somewhat dissatisfied

Very dissatisfied

Extremely dissatisfied

3. Now that you have played Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, how does it compare with what you thought it would be like before you purchased?

(Please select one answer)

Much better than I expected

Somewhat better than I expected

About the same as I expected :banana:

Somewhat worse than I expected

Much worse than I expected

4. What did you like about the game, or why were you satisfied with the experience?

I liked how DK, Diddy, Dixie, and even Cranky were all stars of the show. The levels were fun, especially Jelly Jamboree, and the music was and is absolutely phenomenal. Hard Mode was much better in this game than the Mirror Mode of Donkey Kong Country Returns, considering the levels here weren't backwards, and I could choose any Kong I wanted.

5. What did you not like about the game, or why were you dissatisfied with the experience?

I didn't and still don't like how most levels self-destruct. I'm starting to think Retro Studios has an obsession with that. Oh, and I don't like Time Attack or the Puzzle Pieces either. At all. Sure, the IDEA of speedrunning is great, and I love the concept art, but whatever happened to the bonus rooms containing prizes that lead to the Lost World? And while I'm at it, why on Earth must I be forced to play as DK, while Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky get demoted to mere power-ups, except, of course, when another human plays? Was there no other incentive to play Hard Mode? Oh, and why Scrooge McCranky as the fourth Kong and not Kiddy?

6. Based on your expectations prior to playing the game, what do you think about the amount of content in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze?

Just about as much content as I expected.

7. How difficult was this game to you?

Just right.

8. Was this game easy to control?

Extremely easy.

9. How satisfied were you using the Wii U GamePad when you played Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze?

Extremley satisfied. (You know, when I was playing by myself with the GamePad as the display and controller.)

10. How many people in your household play this game?

11. How likely is it that you would recommend this game to somebody?

Extremely likely.

12. Have you already recommended this game to somebody?

Yes.

Then, after some random questions that don't reflect my opinion of the game...

16. Please tell us in your own words any other opinions or thoughts about this game (500 character max)

The game itself is great. The levels are fun, yet destructive, the music is great, yet sometimes too remixy, and the challenge is always present. In essence, this game could have been far greater than it is. I remember when you, Nintendo, and Retro Studios proclaimed that you were making a better Donkey Kong Country. At that moment, you were destined to fail. Retro started corrupting the DKC formula back in Returns by taking out K. Rool, Kremlings, and Kongs. I hoped this game would fix that, but I was sadly mistaken. If Retro ever adds yet another installment to THEIR DKC series, they must study the ORIGINAL trilogy if they ever hope to find and emulate TRUE greatness. Call me Cranky Kong, but I know quality when I see it.

No, Tiptup Jr., I didn't say all this to kiss up to you. I truly believe Retro Studios, even if they do make some fun levels and hire David Wise, has ruined everything Donkey Kong. And now Nintendo knows. (As if only I mattered!) Hopefully, so have many other players. So, anyone else have thoughts they'd like to express? :dixiehappy:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Previous

Return to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze