DELTA General Discussion Topic

The Delta 2D Platforming Suite is a forthcoming powerful game creation tool. Its expansive scope and professional game engine will allow creation of almost any 2D platforming game – and best of all, it's free!

Re: DELTA General Discussion Topic

Postby Simion32 » November 9th, 2020, 6:09 am

Progress Update: Blending Modes and Audio Sub-Engine Work

I've gotten past the majority of all the busy "real life" stuff (I hope!!) and work on DELTA has resumed.

I've gotten most of the Blending Mode stuff (you might call these "Layer Shaders") done, and now I have the power to render individual items onto bitmap buffers with any of the existing blenders.

The new setup involves having two separate ASM code files that #include on the same data layout but does different things when the function is called, giving me the ability to use blenders on any bitmap, not just having it restricted to the rendering engine.

After that I began work on a restructure of the way that DELTA uses loaded files. This initially broke what little of the Audio sub-engine that I had working, so I had to go back to working on the Audio stuff for a while. That work is still in progress, but I did manage to reach the point where I can play back music files again.

All of the crazy stuff involving plugin-based music still needs coded, and all of the playback control is still missing.

Besides all of that stuff, I have begun work on the systems needed for the DELTA sprite/animation editor, which will be seeing its debut immediately after I finish working on the Audio code. There is an editor for at least each file type in DELTA, so there's a lot left to do.

This is going to be a lot of work, so wish me luck. B/
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » November 16th, 2020, 5:33 am

Progress Update: Audio Sub-Engine: Base Code DONE

I can report that I have successfully coded and debugged all of the base Audio system, including sound effects and all the crazy pitch shifting features.

The only thing left in the Audio sub-engine is the plugin music format handler(s), which will be an extra difficult task.

After I get the Audio completed I'll begin work on the DELTA sprite editor. This will eventually be followed by the beginnings of the DELTA level editor due to the way that things have to be pieced together at the code level.

There are many more editors to worry about than that, but I don't have any set plans for the rest of them yet.

Here we go!!! :funky:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » November 21st, 2020, 9:53 am

Progress Update: Audio Sub-Engine: Almost There!!!

I've got some nifty code for the plugin functionality mostly done.

It still needs debugging and crashes if I'm not running DELTA inside the debugger, but overall I am able to cleanly play back SPC and MINIUSF files without trouble. I can even pitch shift on the playback seamlessly!!

There still remains an initialization crash and some issues regarding LoadLibrary(), but other than that things seem to be going smoothly. B/

I'll report back here when I get the Audio finished, but this could take a day or two.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » November 22nd, 2020, 9:30 am

Progress Update:
Audio Sub-Engine: COMPLETED!!!

I've finally gotten to the point that I can call the Audio Sub-Engine COMPLETED. :dixiehappy:

Next up is the Sprite/Animations editor.

While I won't be able to provide an image editor until later on in development, I'll certainly be able to provide plenty of functionality for working with existing/custom sprite images.

This is officially the first time I've been this far in development. A significant milestone indeed!!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » January 4th, 2021, 10:53 am

Progress Update: Introducing
NitroGUI v3.0 -- In Progress!!!

I ran into significant problems with the design of NitroGUI v2.0 in implementing the editors, so I've had to rip out the old NitroGUI and re-code the entire thing from scratch.

I'm being extra careful in coding this one properly so that I shouldn't have to go back and redo any of the work.

I've been sure to get a proper theme and languages system worked into the design so that I can add support for other languages in the future, and a proper themes system ensures that **anyone** should be able to dynamically change the look and feel of DELTA (and possibly DKCRE later on) when new themes are constructed in DTML script.

Unlike the previous version of NitroGUI, this version aims to be openly script-able so that interface fixes can be applied on-the-fly.

It also allows for the custom NitroGUI dialogs that can go with any custom object -- DTML will be behind this capability.

The new NitroGUI fixes lots of problems regarding custom interfaces and should be able to load in and/or swap out themes and language files while the program is running.

I'm almost completely done with the script "lexer" part (that reads in the DTMLs and makes useful data out of them) and I'll soon be able to work on the details of each DTML tag. The code is way less messy compared to the old v2.0, which had one monolithic class with loads of variables and crap -- v3.0 will not have such a ridiculous mess. I'm feeling confident that I'm getting somewhere with this.

More updates to come!! B/
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » January 17th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Progress Update: Making Headway on NitroGUI v3.0

I've gotten up to the point that I can read in most of the DTML scripts and I got a basic "random color" test going.

There's still a lot left to work on but this test is significant because it shows that all of my effort is going to pay off.

Here's a screenshot of my development for the curious:
Spoiler!
20210116_Progress_NitroGUIv3.png

I can already move and resize the window -- I didn't have to re-code the window manager, so that part is already done.

I can't provide any demo releases but I will be posting the occasional screenshot (as I've done here).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » January 29th, 2021, 5:18 am

Progress Update: Progress on NitroGUI v3.0

I've been making steady progress on NitroGUI v3.0 -- and things are coming together rather nicely.

I just finished working on the "nested checkboxes" code, and there is quite a lot left to work on.

Here's another screenshot, this time with the interface graphics in place:
Spoiler!
20210128_Progress_NitroGUIv3.png

Everything up to this point has been optimized for CPU usage. The program in "release mode" weighs in at 1.2MB so far.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » February 9th, 2021, 11:28 am

Progress Update: Delays for a While

This is a quick post to let you all know that I will be hitting some real-life delays due to "job" work, and the remainder of my free time this month is being put into various other things.

I'll keep you all updated, but for now there will be significant delays for DELTA development. :krool:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » May 28th, 2021, 11:13 pm

Progress Update: Progress on Various Things

Things are slowing down in real life again, meaning I'm able to get more done on DELTA. B/

I've improved and revamped the frame skipping algorithm for the video code, added (optionally enabled) CPU-saving sleep calls, and added custom skipping levels to the engine (to control the framerate dynamically).

Besides that, I've also brought back the HD blending modes, with my signature Fast Alpha algorithm. The base HD blender is twice as fast as the base "Normal" blender with no extra flags enabled. Best of all, this time the HD blenders can use the selector bits to tell DELTA the drawing locations.

Yet another thing I've added is loop point crossfades and playlist functions to complement the already existing Audio functionality.

As far as NitroGUI goes, I'm working on a "Unified List Format" that will enable about 9 different list-based GUI elements to be built.

There is still a lot left to work on though. :bunch-tf:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » June 10th, 2021, 5:02 am

Progress Update: New Real-Time Image Scaling!!

I've went on an aside to normal development and have implemented a "game screen" upscaler that can properly handle pixel art. B/

There will also be a downscaler, which is still being debugged (at present I get pixel corruption instead of the proper results).

The two approaches will be combined into two other modes for cases where the game's width is less but the height is greater, and vice versa.

The routine (well upscaling at least) can be run in real time alongside a DELTA game with no apparent issues. On my dev machine, exact upscales only take around 10% and arbitrary upscaling takes about 20% usage. Well within boundaries for being usable for retro games.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » July 14th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Progress Update: NitroGUI v3.0 and Various Fixes

I've been hard at work on the interface, and I've been coding up the list based stuff for the interface elements.

The real time rescaler(s) worked out just fine.

I also fixed a massive bug that caused windowed mode to skip frames even when DELTA was doing everything in time for the screen update. This bug is a Windows 8+ specific bug that occurs due to the way the DWM (Desktop Window Manager) updates the screen pixels. There is now a configuration option to turn off the bugfix, just in case there are unforseen issues.

I hate to say this, but once NitroGUI hits completion, I will be going dark on development updates. I can't allow any of my more advanced editor ideas to be posted here until I've actually got DELTA being sold. I know it seems weird because DELTA started out as a "free" project, but I have to sell what I've made in order to make a living and do what I want with my life. So there. :pointy-tuck:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Jeeves » July 30th, 2021, 6:56 am

Over a decade later, and you're still plugging away at this. I very much admire and appreciate all of the effort you've put into this, despite my being so tech-illiterate that 90% of it goes right over my head.

As for Delta moving from being free to being a paid project, I don't see how anybody could begrudge you for the choice. You've sunk over a decade of your own time and energy into the development. I'm wishing you the best in success with your continued development and eventual sales of the engine.
Tourist
Bananas received 11

Postby Simion32 » September 18th, 2021, 12:17 am

NitroGUI v3.0 COMPLETED
Development GOING DARK!!

I have finally worked out all the kinks and debugged the heck out of this thing. It's finally DONE.

I have some nifty new secret interface elements that can be utilized for the DELTA editor, but you'll have to wait and see.

The input configuration dialog has already been revamped and tested, and things seem to be going smoothly there.

Thanks guys for participating in the discussion.
I'll be keeping this thread unlocked in case you want to discuss the non-secret parts of DELTA. B/
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » June 24th, 2022, 10:29 am

DELTA is moving along nicely.

Although development is mainly still "dark", I can safely say that I am right at the beginning of making the level editor.

I will be working very hard on DELTA as time allows (and unfortunately DKCRE's old code is so messy that I cannot reuse its editing capability).

Thanks again everyone for the support you've given me over the years. :funky:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Cyclone » August 21st, 2022, 9:12 pm

Hey Simion how is it going? What are you working on? Any news or updates?
Keep us updated
Thanks!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » August 22nd, 2022, 12:46 am

So I've been heavily working on DELTA for the past few months.

I've completed the base part of the level editor and other editors, now I'm adding in the level editor menu and toolbar along with Level Settings.

After the Level Settings I'll be working on the Game Settings file editor which is the basic part of a DELTA game that tells it what screen to start with amongst various other settings.

Then after that I have several short editors that need to be constructed, 3 of which just act as "file packagers".

When that's done the actual game runner engine will be underway for a while.

Cheers! ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » August 30th, 2022, 2:19 pm

File Editors Completed.
Game Engine Development Begins!!

I wanted to post this specific milestone here on Atlas.

I've gotten all the editors ironed out and now only the game runner related code/interface remains.

Other than this little nugget of information, I won't be revealing what the game runner actually entails.

But you can be sure I'm looking at DKC1/2/3 for guidance. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Cyclone » August 31st, 2022, 5:20 am

Grrr you got me excited! Any hints?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Super Luigi! » October 7th, 2022, 10:26 am

You've definitely achieved much, Simion32. Thank you very much for continuing this project and letting us know about it for so many years. As always, keep up the incredible work and please take care, for you are great.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 7th, 2022, 3:10 pm

DELTA is going to be amazing when it finally releases! I’m going to start a countdown on my calendar for 31 days. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Simion32 » October 7th, 2022, 11:38 pm

"a month or so" -- it may be a bit more than that since I still have to come up with some kind of example game and do finalization/testing on all the API functions. And a user manual.

I'm still stuck working on the physics right now. Really math-y complex stuff.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 8th, 2022, 2:22 am

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be mean. I’m happy to wait a year for this! Amazing work, Simion32 for everything you’ve done for this website! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Simion32 » January 4th, 2023, 2:21 pm

Progress Update: Working Out the Bugs, but Delays Loom

I decided to break the silence with a bit of an update. ;)

DELTA is mostly completed but is under heavy debugging.

I had to fix a massive memory corruption problem, but doing so added additional complex bugs that will need fixing.

I won't be able to get into the finalization phase until DELTA has a clean bill of health (free of crashes and weird bugs).

However, real life is taking reign again, so there will be a sizeable delay from here on out.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby WesternTanager794 » January 4th, 2023, 2:29 pm

Good luck, Simion! Happy to hear it!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » January 4th, 2023, 3:07 pm

I don't mind waiting at all. Take all the time you need.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Simion32 » April 1st, 2023, 3:52 am

DELTA Game Designer
Purchasing and Forums Go Live 12:15AM CT on April 1st
SubwareSoft Main Site: CLICK HERE

After all this time we are finally running up on the day that v1.0.0.0 of DELTA will be released!! B/

This is NOT an April fools joke, by the way. Please understand my concerns. :)

There are already some downloads available but please be aware that due to limited programming resources I didn't have the capability of adding a trial version to DELTA.
If you want to use the program, you will have to purchase it.

You can always look at the tutorial and manual (on the downloads page) ahead of time to see what DELTA has to offer.

:thumbs:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Cyclone » April 1st, 2023, 4:23 am

That's really cool. Congrats on the milestone!

It seems a bit expensive though. And no trial?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » April 1st, 2023, 4:27 am

I just didn't have the resources to make a trial version since the DRM would have to be designed - I'm lucky I even have license key stuff in it at all.

Thanks though!!

The Sell version is priced like that because if you are selling games you should easily be able to pay for it. The Build version is about the price of a Nintendo Switch game, not more.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Cyclone » April 1st, 2023, 4:29 am

That is true.
will there be free updates?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » April 1st, 2023, 4:31 am

Yes, all bugfixes and updates are free. you just access the account that you created during checkout and it will allow you to redownload the new version of the program.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Super Luigi! » April 1st, 2023, 7:29 am

Nice job, Simion32. You've no doubt worked on this project far more than I could even guess, and I'm glad you finally reached your goal. No amount of praise or bananas could equal your effort, but I hope this message still helps. Hopefully, you now become even more successful than you already are.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 1st, 2023, 7:36 am

This is awesome! Congratulations, Simion! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 1st, 2023, 12:15 pm

The UI reminds me of DKCRE. Is it derived from it? Font, menus, etcetera? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Simion32 » April 1st, 2023, 3:22 pm

It uses the same theme yes, but the internal code is very different from DKCRE.

EDIT: OK, this is it guys!!! The forum and payments are now enabled!!! Like I said I would do. :ugeek:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 2nd, 2023, 4:43 am

Ok. It’s super exciting that it’s finally out! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Cyclone » April 3rd, 2023, 4:52 pm

I can’t register on the forums?

Good luck… I hope you sell lots Simion
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » April 4th, 2023, 7:07 am

The setting is fixed now. You should be able to register now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 4th, 2023, 12:06 pm

Glad to hear everything's going well, Simion! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Cyclone » April 8th, 2023, 8:12 am

Simion have you made any sales yet?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 8th, 2023, 10:27 am

I hope so. But no one I know has seemed to buy it. (here, of course) I imagine that Simion is going to have only sells from browsers of this forum. Maybe some more, but who knows. I haven't bought it because, although I have much more than 60 dollars, I hate to spend money. I'm sorry, Simion. I'll buy eventually. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 10th, 2023, 6:32 am

Good job, Simion! Do you own subwaresoft? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Simion32 » April 10th, 2023, 7:17 am

I'm a sole proprietor, yes. :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Simion32 » June 15th, 2023, 4:21 am

DELTA Game Designer Promotional:
FREE to the First 25 Selected DKC Atlas Users!!

Like I state in the video, just PM me and I'll respond to tell you if you have qualified for a copy. :swanky:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Scraps69 » January 10th, 2024, 10:14 pm

g'day Simion! how is this cracking along lad?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » March 7th, 2024, 11:38 am

Not good at all. :cry:

DELTA Game Designer v1.0.0.0 TAKEN OFFLINE.
Due to a complete lack of any sales or SubwareSoft site actvity whatsoever.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am sad to report that I have had absolutely ZERO sales of DELTA Game Designer v1.0.0.0 and I'm not going to hide this fact anymore.

After a year of waiting, I'm taking the current release of DELTA on the SubwareSoft site OFFLINE permanently.

Without cash flow there is no way I can afford to pay for the upkeep of my payments processor fees and such.

I'll be keeping the site online but the current version of DELTA will be saying goodbye as of this post (those with the promotional version still get to keep their version, of course).

I'll still be working on DELTA, DKCRE, and DKCLB but my focus this time may have to take a different direction.

That does it for this update... :shakehead:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Super Luigi! » March 7th, 2024, 1:40 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, SImion32, and I hope you have better luck with whatever new direction you decide to follow.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Previous

Return to Delta Suite