Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Postby DK4Ever » October 9th, 2009, 5:19 am

Now, the game has been out in Japan for about half a month now, and we here in the west (and the UK/Ausies!) don't get it til Feb. -_-

So, in an effort to sate my growing anger at this, and impatience in wanting to play new-gen Gold/Silver, I found the Japanese rom of SS, and am now playing it on DeSMuME.

So, thu far, its been quite the great experience. So many memories, now in very, very shiny color. And its in Japanese.

Since I played G/S so much, I know exactly whats happening, save for the new events, so its not much of a problem. I also found a way to work around new moves (Huzzah for Serebii.net, and my innate abilities to recognize a move by the PP or type (I'm a pokemon nerd, sue me)

Now, aside from new events, the problems I've encountered are : Dealing with only 5 spaces for pokemon names, unable to read Kanji and choose a name using those characters, and having to pick a 5 letter name in Arabic letters, which is sometimes annoying. I liked 10.

Also, I accidentally picked Chikorita, by continually hitting A and expecting more from the "Pokemon choosing" section of the game. Oh well, I wanted Cynda, but it's fine.

Apart from that, the gyms, and everything else are so much more shiny.

And, my team right now, after 4 hours play-time, is:

Bayleef - 17
Flaafy - 16
Spearow - 13
Slowpoke - 7 (I gotta get him up, Slowbro is pwntastic)
Treasure Hunter

Re: Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Postby Jomingo » October 9th, 2009, 8:48 am

Hmm... that's weird. I was sure we already have a topic for this but I guess we don't.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Guy » October 9th, 2009, 9:20 am

I think you're talking about this one thread about Pokemon... Well...

Anyway, I'm hyped up... ALOT.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Kiddy14 » October 9th, 2009, 12:15 pm

DK4Ever wrote:[...]the problems I've encountered are : Dealing with only 5 spaces for pokemon names, unable to read Kanji and choose a name using those characters, and having to pick a 5 letter name in Arabic letters, which is sometimes annoying. I liked 10.

You do realize the 5-character restriction is only for Japan, right? I had to name my Totodile Tim =[ =P

But something I for sure love is how every Pokémon follows you! =D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DK4Ever » October 9th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Oh yeah, I know. 5 characters is enough in Japan, since no Pokemon name exceeds that. I think.

Well, I finally got through Azalea Town..ugh Bugsy was actually pretty tough this time around. If I had picked Cynda I probably would have had a much better time. I got Spearow up to 15 so he could try and win, but he got 1-shotted by Syther's U-Turn..so did Bayleef, bah.

But good 'ol Flaafy ended up winning it. Good times.

And now I'm utterly confused in Goldenrod, not quite remembering what to do. -_-
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » October 9th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Beat Whitney, get waterbottle, harass Sudowood, if I remember correctly.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby DK4Ever » October 9th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Yep, that's about it.

This time though, I had to answer questions at the radio tower, and then Whitney went back to the gym.

Everything else is the same on that list.

Poor Sudowoodo :(

Oh! And the major problem I'm having with being unable to read japanese...is I don't know who's calling me on the Poke'Gear and what they want.

It's bothersome.
Treasure Hunter

Postby DKCplayer » October 11th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Tell me about it. I just had a go at HeartGold on DeSmuME. Even WITH a ROM that has been partly translated to English by someone else, I can't understand what most of the text says. :? I have Pokemon Gold for Game Boy (Which is corrupted), but still, I can't speak or read Japanese.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby DK4Ever » October 12th, 2009, 2:20 am

It can be rather annoying, but that's the price non-Japanese hardcore Pokemon fans have to pay. it's not so bad.

What's your team lookin like right now, DKC-Player? my Spearow evolved (huzzah!) and i caught Sudowoodo, still haven't taken on Morty, but yeah.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Blaziken257 » October 13th, 2009, 1:39 am

I've been looking forward to this game ever since I've heard of it. G/S/C were among my favorite games, so it's nice to see them on the DS again, with improvements made since they were originally released. It's kinda annoying that the English language version takes many months to be translated, but I still would rather get the English version than the Japanese version, because I'd rather play it in a language that I can understand. I never import games unless they're only released in Japan, but HG/SS isn't one of those games. <_<

Kiddy14 wrote:
DK4Ever wrote:[...]the problems I've encountered are : Dealing with only 5 spaces for pokemon names, unable to read Kanji and choose a name using those characters, and having to pick a 5 letter name in Arabic letters, which is sometimes annoying. I liked 10.

You do realize the 5-character restriction is only for Japan, right? I had to name my Totodile Tim =[ =P

But something I for sure love is how every Pokémon follows you! =D

First of all, you imported the Japanese version? Like I said, I would have waited... but how is it? Is it totally awesome? (Or since your native language is Spanish, you could always import the European version, if you don't mind waiting about a year for it.) O_o

And the 5 character thing is annoying sometimes, I guess. Japanese words tend to be shorter than English words, mainly because each symbol makes up one syllable. Still, shouldn't it have been something like 8 characters? Never mind...

And as for the Pokémon following you, that's been around since Pokémon Yellow, although you could only have Pikachu following you. (Actually, the fact that you can carry any Pokémon with you in this game reminds me of a certain obscure RPG series that's similar to Pokémon more than it reminds me of Pokémon itself... but I'll shut up now since I'm going off topic.) XD
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Tompa » October 13th, 2009, 6:05 am

I'll buy the American versions once they are out, playing games on an emulator sucks and I don't know any Japanese, so that's not an option.

Going to be fun with more Pokémon games! Nerd power!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Rodent » October 21st, 2009, 9:21 am

I'm looking forward to the games. I never got around to finishing Diamond. It was, put simply, boring. Emerald is still great fun though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby diddykong15 » November 25th, 2009, 8:45 am

its a good remake, i like cindaquill in the game
Newcomer

Postby Gnawzooka » November 25th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Really? I heard Cyndaquil is absolute crap in these games. From what I've heard, Feraligatr is awesome thanks to physical water moves and decent movepool.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Blaziken257 » November 30th, 2009, 6:03 am

I usually used Cyndaquil in the original games... he was the best for Jasmine (the Steel-type gym leader) and its evolutions can learn ThunderPunch, which is good for Water types. He was also good for Bugsy, not that he was that hard... Chikorita was never good for any of the Johto gyms, and back then, Ice Punch and Waterfall were physical, so Totodile wasn't as good either.

I'm still going to choose Cyndaquil in HG/SS, even if ThunderPunch is now physical and there's no TM for it anymore. (I LOVED it when the three punch moves were easily accessible back in the day!) For one thing, Jasmine is hard without him... but the fact that Totodile can learn Ice Punch (now physical!) makes that an interesting choice too... and Chikorita is still the worst choice.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Gnawzooka » November 30th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Blaziken257 wrote:back then, Ice Punch and Waterfall were physical, so Totodile wasn't as good either.

Special youmean. :)
Although, from what I've heard, Cyndaquil is actually the worst starter in game now. Even though he has a type advantage over three gyms... I don't know how, it's just what I've heard.
Gatr can beat Jasmine's Steelix really easily since it's ground type, and the magnemites only ever used sonicboom (that might hve changed though). I don't really know though... I'm going with Feraligatr personally, just because I think he's cooler.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby DK4Ever » April 15th, 2010, 7:11 am

Wait, what? The games have been out a month exactly, and there's been no discussion?

E-gads, gentlemen and ladies!

Well, to celebrate the one-month Anniversary of them, I suppose I'll explain where I am in the game.

Right now, I'm sitting in Kanto, waiting to fight Misty because I'm too lazy to go grab a Thunderstone and evolve my Eevee.

Apart from that, my team consists of...

Mamoswine - 52
Houndoom - 52
Gyarados - 51
Togekiss - 51
Forretress - 48

I've loved it so far, they improved on many things that were lacking in GSC (Although there weren't many, ♥ GSC)

But the thing that bothers me most is the removal of the slot machines... C'mon, honestly!

Well guys, have you picked em up? How're you doing? Let's talk about this here!
Treasure Hunter

Postby Gnawzooka » April 15th, 2010, 3:19 pm

I'm currently trying to level up a parasect for catching mewtwo and lugia. I've beaten all the gym leders in kanto and rematched a few. I tried the elite four rematch today, failed... stupid Lance. But i have a lot of pokemon.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Kiddy14 » April 19th, 2010, 4:57 am

Typhlosion - 58
Ampharos - 58
Slowking - 58
Pidgeot - 58
Gyarados - 50/Furret - 36 (Furret's a HM-Slave =P)
Togekiss - 59

They're nicknamed XD But I have a particular way of nicknaming (Furret's Daniel, for example).

I've defeated all the Gym Leaders, so I'm looking for the rematches (it works for the Pokédex =D).
But the only legendary (other than Lugia) which I've caught is Suicune.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Blaziken257 » April 26th, 2010, 10:35 am

I might as well post my team...

Typhlosion - Lv. 53 (I told you all that I would choose Cyndaquil!)
Nidoqueen - Lv. 51
Starmie - Lv. 52
Dodrio - Lv. 51
Tauros - Lv. 53
Ampharos - Lv. 52

Yep. I beat the Elite Four too, and now I'm busy training some Pokémon for the Battle Frontier (though I sometimes trade some of my Platinum Pokémon over), training others for Red, and completing my Johto Dex. Oh, and I'm also using some exploit through the GTS to obtain some Pokémon and items more easily (though I don't overdo it).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Gnawzooka » May 1st, 2010, 10:12 pm

I'm training my pokes to level 70 to fight my brother on his Pearl Version. They're all 64-66 currently. Feraligatr, Red Dyarados, Extremespeed Dragonite, Heracross, Ampharos (Surprisingly awesome) and Ho-Oh is my party. I've beaten the Elite Four and I'm preparing to challenge red.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Return to Gaming Discussion