Yo, Yoshi!

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Which are your favorite Yoshi games?

Yoshi
3%
Yoshi's Cookie
3%
Yoshi's Safari
3%
Yoshi's Island
44%
Yoshi's Topsy Turvy
3%
Yoshi Touch and Go
6%
Yoshi's Island DS
21%
Yoshi's Story
18%

Total votes : 34

Yo, Yoshi!

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 15th, 2009, 4:54 pm

I noticed there wasn't really a topic dedicated to Yoshi so...

Here we can talk about any Yoshi related things. What is your favorite Yoshi game? Mine would have to between Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's Story. Does Yoshi remind you of Barney too? Isn't Yoshi the cutest little- well you get the picture. :D

I noticed that Yoshi's Story plays an awful lot like DKC, do you think they could've made a real DKC4?
Anybody hear of Totaka's Song? Let's talk about Yoshi.
Attachments
yoshis-story-yoshi.png
yoshis-story-yoshi.png (25.6 KiB) Viewed 39692 times
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Re: Yo, Yoshi!

Postby Gnawzooka » June 15th, 2009, 6:37 pm

My playing of brawl has caused to me dislike yoshi for his sheer uselessness...
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Rodent » June 15th, 2009, 7:05 pm

I voted Yoshi's Island and Story. I'm gonna go through Island again someday.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 15th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Gnawzooka wrote:My playing of brawl has caused to me dislike yoshi for his sheer uselessness...

I don't know why people call him useless, explain to me why he is useless. He is useful, I play him on occasions and always win. His final smash is very effective and he is not a clone of anyone. I think the ice climbers are the useless ones.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Gnawzooka » June 15th, 2009, 8:57 pm

- His B Move Does Nothing
- His side B is slow enough to be avoided, yet fast enough to end up off a cliff
- Where is the recovery? His up B not only fails to fill this role, but rarely hits anything and does minimal damage
- His smash attacks are mediocre
- His final Smash is hard to control, and Items aren't used in Tournament situations anyway
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Gnawzooka wrote:- His B Move Does Nothing
- His side B is slow enough to be avoided, yet fast enough to end up off a cliff
- Where is the recovery? His up B not only fails to fill this role, but rarely hits anything and does minimal damage
- His final Smash is hard to control, and Items aren't used in Tournament situations anyway

In your opinion. :?
It sounds like you just aren't good with Yoshi, some people are, and some people aren't. Still if what you just said is true, (which I highly doubt) it's still no reason not to like Yoshi in general.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Gnawzooka » June 15th, 2009, 9:02 pm

It's the only game I've played with him in it other tahn SMW though.
EDIT: It may be my opinion, but it's also the opinion of many, including the tier list on which he rates 32nd.
(Haha Ganondorf).
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 15th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I was going to put SMW up but I thought it was mainly a Mario game, you could get a Yoshi game through VC (I recommend Yoshi's Island or Yoshi's Story).
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby DK4Ever » June 18th, 2009, 12:50 am

Katastrophe Kong wrote:
Gnawzooka wrote:- His B Move Does Nothing

In your opinion. :?
It sounds like you just aren't good with Yoshi, some people are, and some people aren't. Still if what you just said is true, (which I highly doubt) it's still no reason not to like Yoshi in general.

Actually, it's really how he is. Useless or not, the tier list (in which Yoshi is very close to the bottom of) reflects his tournament standings, and, unless some Yoshi prodigy is going to come out from the hills somewhere, it's going to stay this way. And all of his negative traits outweigh his good traits anywho.

I like Yoshi, but if I'm playin Smash it's Diddy Kong or G&W all the way.
Treasure Hunter

Postby PotoGamer » June 18th, 2009, 4:17 am

My favorite Yoshi games are Yoshi's Island and Topsy Turvy (I'm surprised no one else has voted for it).

As for Yoshi in Brawl, he's really not such an amazing character, but he's good from a distance.
Trailblazer

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 18th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Just a question, could Topsy Turvy be considered a sequel to Yoshi's Story? It had a similar plot.
Also DKC has similar plot.
Super Happy Tree = Banana Hoard
Baby Bowser = King K. Rool
Both the Tree and Bananas were stolen by some sort of reptillian villian.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby PotoGamer » June 19th, 2009, 7:43 am

I wouldn't consider it a sequel, since the storyline involves Bowser stealing some weird eggs (I think they were called egglings or something...). And the gameplay is also very different, not just because of the tilting, but because you have to complete missions.
Trailblazer

Postby old_buzzard » June 19th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Like all characters in SSB, Yoshi can be pretty dang good once you learn to use him properly. He's one of my bests. Outside of SSB, I really don't understand where all of this Yoshi hate comes from.
Tourist

Postby Katastrophe Kong » June 19th, 2009, 12:15 pm

old_buzzard wrote:Like all characters in SSB, Yoshi can be pretty dang good once you learn to use him properly. He's one of my bests. Outside of SSB, I really don't understand where all of this Yoshi hate comes from.

Thank you. :)
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Gnawzooka » June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Oh, Yoshi is really awesome in SMBZ. :mrgreen:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Soniccuz » June 21st, 2009, 1:48 pm

Yoshi used to be one of my favorite Mario character at one point even surpassing Luigi who's my second favorite character.

Yoshi's Safari was fun to play. It had the Koopalings in funny machines, and heck it's a first person shooter/ Mario game. The problem was the super scope those things are hard to find and a working one is near imposable to come across. I have like 3 scopes and only one works. It took years until I could play the game but it was worth it in the end.

(edit): it's not much of an Yoshi game anymore then Super Mario World was. You play as Mario only riding Yoshi in first person mode.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » June 21st, 2009, 2:52 pm

Never played it, but the way you described it makes it sound....unique. It seems to be a very interesting concept.

Anyway, the only "Yoshi Game" I played was Super Mario World. I've always had some sort of dislike of Yoshi(and Wario), mostly because DK is often lumped in with them as Mario Spin-offs.

As for Yoshi in Brawl, I don't really think a character's moves in Brawl really mean anything as far as how cool the character is. He may be terrible in Brawl, but that doesn't necessarily have any indication of how interesting his series is.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » June 21st, 2009, 3:55 pm

I know, but as I said, I base my opinion mainly on Brawl and too a lesser extent SMW, having played no othyer Yoshi games.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby scigamerfan07 » July 27th, 2009, 3:50 pm

I really like SMW2 and Yoshi's Story. I wanna get YI DS soon. So far, I got Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story (Japanese), and Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3. Yoshi is my most favorite Nintendo character of all time!!! When I go to Nintendo World Store in NYC, I'm going to buy at least one Yoshi plush, and if I can, all the colors!!!
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby CrankyMan » September 5th, 2010, 4:32 am

I like Yoshi's Island on SNES. It's awesome!! :P
Tourist

Postby Markster » July 2nd, 2011, 5:36 am

Bump!

I have casted my vote last year, i liked Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, and Yoshi's Island DS the most.

----------

EDIT : I finally beat Yoshi's Island
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby YoshiInAVoid » October 28th, 2011, 8:37 am

Why am I the only one that voted Yoshi's Cookie? It's an amazing and original game. It's one of the classics along with Tetris and Pac-Man... Well not quite, but it's still awsome!
Newcomer

Postby Kimi Kong » November 12th, 2011, 3:57 am

If Yoshi didn't excist in the Nintendo world, then i probably wouldn't play Mario.

I'm just saying.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby KingBrett » November 13th, 2011, 6:05 am

Yoshi's Island DS is my favorite, despite being harder than its prequel. (Ugh, I hated Superhard Acrobatics........I'd never be able to get 100 points on it legitly even if I tried...) The fact that you fight Baby Bowser and then his future self twice was more epic than fighting Giant Baby Bowser in the prequel. The music for Giant Bowser was awesome despite it being glitched in the American and European versions. I wish someone had the glitched music uploaded on Youtube so I could listen to it over and over. :D

EDIT: Oh and make an extended version of the glitched music too. That would be awesome.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Mayo » December 8th, 2011, 10:42 am

Can't go wrong with good old Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi is one of my favourite Nintendo characters, he really needs another solo adventure on his own, maybe in 3D?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Return to Gaming Discussion