The General Pokemon Discussion Topic

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

The General Pokemon Discussion Topic

Postby Jomingo » January 19th, 2009, 11:19 am

I've had a sudden surge of Pokemon fanitude lately, so this will probably not be the last pokemon topic I start.

Anyway, this is to discuss which Pokemon we love/ hate, especially evolutions/preevolutions.

So anyway, here are some of my opinions:
-I don't really like Pichu/Cleffa/Igglybuff that much, mostly because Pikachu/Clefairy/Jigglypuff are all so small and cute anyway, why do they need pre evos?
-I don't like how they take Pokemon that used to be badass and give them more badass evolutions, thus making the first one seem less badass in retrospect. Onix/Magmar/Electabuzz all come to mind...
-Same goes for Pokemon that are utterly useless, and then get evolutions that are just as useless. Like Tangela's evolution.
-The majority of the latest Diamond/Pearl evos or pre evos were not needed. It's getting pretty much ridiculous. I mean, Magnezone? Lickilicky? Yanmega?
-We still haven't seen a Kanghaskhan Pre evo...
-I don't like how a lot of the new Pokemon don't look anything like their evolved forms. The old games only had a couple like that(like Dragonite or Octillery).
-None of the Starters have been nearly as good as the original three. Chimchar was wasted potential, as he should've evolved into some Badass Gorilla.
-TOO MANY LEGENDARIES!!

Umm... I'm done for now..

EDIT: I've changed this to the General Pokemon Discussion topic, so we can talk about anything Pokmeon related.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: The best and worst pokemon topic...

Postby CaptainEddie » January 19th, 2009, 11:50 am

-The Poke'mon used to be based of animals(mostly). It's clear that they are now running out of ideas...(like that moon thing)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Kiddy14 » January 19th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Ditto is a great example of that =/

I think being on for like 10 years makes it more difficult to create new Pokémons and still being original. So they create evos and pre evos to "dissimulate" not being original.

That's what I think. I really haven't played any Pokémon game in my life so I don't know XD
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby PotoGamer » January 20th, 2009, 6:13 am

Even though I don't play the games and I USED to watch the series (I rarely watch it now), I think they're making way too many movies and pokemons. Seriously, do they HAVE to make a movie a year? It's getting kind of old. And why do they have to keep making new pokemon? I wouldn't mind if there were only a few new ones at a time, but they all come in at the same time. When there were only 150, it was great, but now that they have 500+, it just isn't the same.

Does anyone else miss Brock and Misty? :(
Trailblazer

Postby Jomingo » January 20th, 2009, 6:36 am

Brock is still in the show, and their aren't 500 yet...

Also, there never was only 150, they just don't count Mew. Technically there was always 151.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » January 20th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Most of 3rd and 4th Generation were crap.
Seriosuly, we already had Butterfree, but now Beautifly?
And Before they had Pidgey, now they have Starly.
And yeah, the starters have never been as cool the first lot. And it gets worse each generation.
Turtwig = Bulbasquirtle. Seriously, look at it.
And I hate how theyt give really cool pokemon Evolutions which are really gay looking. Magmortar is obese and has a stupid hairstlye. THEY RUINED MY FAVOURITE POKEMON!!! Magneton, Electabuzz, Yanma and Lickitung were screwed over pretty bad too. Rhydon was lucky though: Rhyperior is one of the only 4th Gen pokemon I actually like.
And they screwed up so bad with Ghost and Dragon types. After the second generation they only had two fully evolved pokemon of each. So what did they do? They went totally nuts on it! Just out of legendaries, there are more than enough dragons to make a full party. And why isn't Gyarados Dragon type? FLYING? WTF?!
And way too many legendaries. And in the new ones the trio all look almost identical, and they're the same type too. Not to mention the Regis are ALL WEAK TO FIGHTING TYPES!!!

On a side note, has anyone noticed that Grass is the only type in which the starters have all been reptiles? :o
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Kowbrainz » January 20th, 2009, 2:44 pm

-I don't like how they take Pokemon that used to be badass and give them more badass evolutions, thus making the first one seem less badass in retrospect. Onix/Magmar/Electabuzz all come to mind...
-Same goes for Pokemon that are utterly useless, and then get evolutions that are just as useless. Like Tangelas evolution.
-The majority of the latest Diamond/Pearl evos or pre evos were not needed. It's getting pretty much ridiculous. I mean, Magnezone? Lickilicky? Yanmega?

Yes, yes and yes.

Now, I don't want to sound like a nostalgist but I really don't like the designs of the new monsters. Ken Sugimori designed all of the originals if I recall correctly, then they started getting new designers in either during G/S or R/S - the latter it would seem. You can really tell, just look at the legendaries. You don't need all this weird armour plating and crap to look cool.

I also agree with having too many legendaries, but not only that - the fact that there's so many that require you to go to an event to acquire legitimately. Couple this with the fact that there's now almost 500 individual monsters to collect, and the whole 'Gotta catch 'em all' aspect of the games has turned into something which really only can appeal to overly OCD gamers. I caught all 150 monsters in the original game, then managed to find someone who had gotten Mew at an event to trade with. In Silver, I got less but I still made an effort. When I got my hands on Pearl there was no real motivation to bother with catching any pokemon that I wouldn't use much in battle. I still caught the occasional one that I thought looked cool and such, but I didn't put any effort into trading in order to get my pokedex fleshed out.

Diamond and Pearl (and the R/S games and to a smaller extent G/S) were designed with a 'bigger is better' attitude. Nobody wanted to break the winning formula, but they wanted to change the game and add to it without taking away the elements of the previous ones. And nobody saw the flaws with this. As far as I know there wasn't really any rewards for catching pokemon anymore other than the self satisfaction. :/

Gnawzooka wrote:On a side note, has anyone noticed that Grass is the only type in which the starters have all been reptiles? :o

What?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » January 22nd, 2009, 7:36 am

He's saying that Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, and Turtwig are all reptillian.

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part, other than the GS stuff, as Pokemon Gold and Silver were the natural and logical sequels to Red and Blue. They kept the formula but expanded on it enough to make it a lot better without alienating fans of the last games. They added new types, new moves, Baby Pokemon, Breeding, the Radio, a day and night system, the ability to trade back in time with RBY, etc. Also, it was the first (and only) to allow you to travel back to the region of the first game, meeting old characters and stuff. Gold and Silver also acted like a sequel in the way they reference old characters and events and all the changes that have happened between the first and second gen, like:
-Koda, a gym leader from the first gen, is now a member of the Elite Four, while his daughter replaces him at his gym.
-Lance is no longer a member of the elite four, but the Champion, while Blue(the former Champion and first gen's rival..) has taken over Giovanni's place at the Veridian Gym after Giovanni(former leader of Team Rocket) leaves.
-Cinnabar island's volcano erupted, destroying the city and forcing the gym to be relocated to the island to the right(which I believe once nested a legendary bird..)
-Although there is a new Proffesor(Elm), Proffesor Oak is still a large part of the Pokemon community, giving you your pokedex and monitoring its completion, and hosting his own radio talkshow.
-Red(Ash), the protagonist of the first game is now available to be battled at Mt. Silver, where he has a Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, and Snorlax of insanely high levels.
-Rydel's bike shop has been relocated to Goldenrod, and his old shop remains locked up in Cerulean!
Etc.

Ever since RSE they have lost all storyline ties to the originals, which GSC tried very hard not to do...

Anyway, I agree about the armor thing, it seems like such a pointless thing to add.

I recently replayed through Gold, getting to own about 200 or so without the use of trading whatsoever. I could keep going(I have beaten everything other than Red, and I still haven't even attempted to get Lugia :roll: ), and I don't think I would be nearly as motivated to do so in DP(and I surely wasn't in Ruby..).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » January 22nd, 2009, 4:00 pm

Yeah, in my opinion GSC were the best games in the series.
Also, you forgot Red has an Espeon. :P
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Kowbrainz » January 23rd, 2009, 12:43 am

Jomingo wrote:He's saying that Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, and Turtwig are all reptillian.

Not sure what your perception of reptile is... I just didn't think that the 'cute thing with flower bulb on its back' and 'cute thing with leaf on its head' were reptiles necessarily. Charmander was a reptile, Squirtle yeah, but Bulbasaur seems like a bit of a stretch. Chikorita even more so.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Gnawzooka » January 23rd, 2009, 11:28 am

Bulbasaur. :? If you ask me, that and Chikorita both look like wierd plant-dinosaur hybrid thingies. If not Chikorita, Bulbasaur certainly is. It's in its name.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » January 24th, 2009, 10:28 am

Yes, bulbasaur is most certainly a dinosaur, hence his name. And I always thought that the Chikorita family was of the "long necked dinosaur" type, but I could be wrong...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kowbrainz » January 24th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Okay, I can agree with you on Bulbasaur now... can't believe I would never have seen the pun in those names.... jeez. :lol:
Chikorita though... I wouldn't say so. It's family are all based off herbs and spices and there isn't really anything there that shouts reptile to me. If you're talking about Brontosauruses/Brachiosauruses... Meganium sort of looks that way but I don't think it's obvious enough to tell, and the previous evolutions don't have any of those characteristics.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » January 25th, 2009, 11:36 am

Yeah, I was referring to the Bronto-Brachio-Alberta-saurus', but long neck is easier to say. :D

I see there's not really much to say it's a reptile, I guess I always just thought so. Maybe if I could see it's Pokedex entries...

Anyway, I'm surprised they never made a game based around the Orange islands. I mean, it's a very unique location that could've served as a nice expansion to RBY and a cool bridge between the first and second generations. Pokemon Orange could've been about Red(Ash) traveling through the Orange Island chain, with the climactic legendary battle being based on Pokemon 3000, with Lugia and the 3 legendary birds, and that legendary collector guy who releases all the birds...
Another cool thing would've been the Orange Islands unique way of getting badges, where you do different things instead of just battling the gym leader. I think the Orange Islands were like that, but I don't remember..

PS- I'm changing this to a General Pokemon Discussion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: The General Pokemon Discussion Topic

Postby Kowbrainz » January 26th, 2009, 12:53 am

There's a hack for the Orange Islands done in the R/B/Y engine I believe, but it was pretty rubbish.

Would you really want to be getting badges in ways aside from battles? Pretty much all of Ash's badges from the first season of the anime were earned because the leaders pitied him but saw he had a 'strong bond with his pokemon' or because he broke the rules (come on, you can't use the gym's sprinker system in a battle). I don't want to get badges from stuff like that or from doing things that belong in other side quests. The strongest part of pokemon for me is that team building and proving your strength in battles so I wouldn't want to change how gyms worked.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » January 26th, 2009, 6:11 am

Right, I'm just saying that not every game has to be about that. This could've been a neat little side adventure that was different, instead of sticking strictly to the usual formula.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Kowbrainz » January 26th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Well, there is stuff like Pokemon Trainer and Mystery Dungeon if you want to try those out.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby DK4Ever » January 30th, 2009, 12:45 pm

First off, I must say, I was extremely disapointed when I picked up Ruby, played through a bit of it, and then found myself saying "We're definitely not in Kanto, anymore, Treecko." And then feeling depressed that the company had finally left the roots, after keeping so close to canon with GSC, which, was, in my opinion, the best part of the series. They simply added on to the nostalgia, and had the last great starters and legendarys. (Seriously, I was very angry that Torchic turned into that ugly fighting/fire combusken, rather than some awesome sub-phoenix thing..it's a FIRE type for god's sake!!! rawr!!!)

The only starter that didn't dissapoint me in RSE was Treecko, but even Treecko couldn't save RSE for me :(

There were a few here and there I liked (Wailord, Sharpedo, Castform (he's original)) but apart from that....meh

DP hurt me even more, I found myself yelling "Nooo! What did they do to mah electabuzz! when I first saw Electivire, same for Magmortar, although I LOL'd when I saw the tangela and piloswine evos..Lickilicky made me sad.

and the legendarys in DP were ALL...ALL terrible...ALL. I loved Entei, Mewtwo, Raikou, Ho-oh (I thought Ho-oh was the most amazing thing ever for a while, it was so cool :) ) but Giratina looks bizarre, the 3 "Ima-runaway" pokemon are all ridiculous looking, and the 2 major legendaries are still not NEARLY as cool as anything close to the major legendaries from Gens 1+2...blargh!!

I was very disapointed...
Treasure Hunter

Postby Rodent » January 30th, 2009, 4:36 pm

I liked Sapphire the best. I mean, the monsters start getting odder and odder but I thought that the actual adventure was the most fun. The landscapes were all pretty nice, and the changing backgrounds and stuff was cool too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby KremKrawl » May 23rd, 2009, 12:44 am

Well, I didn't mind Generation III that much, mostly because Sapphire was my first Pokemon game, and one of my first video games too. Anyway, I'm also getting Pokemon Yellow, Stadium, and FireRed off eBay. :D
Trainee Trekker

Postby Rodent » May 25th, 2009, 9:49 am

I never liked FRLG that much. I had Leaf Green. I think my team was pretty kick ass too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » May 25th, 2009, 10:31 am

I'm pretty psyched for the new Gold and Silver remakes on the DS that've been officially confirmed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby DK4Ever » May 25th, 2009, 10:44 am

Yes! Glad we are finally on this subject! Woo!

Apart from the names being a bit bothersome (although I can see what they're doing (Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver anyone?)

ANYWAY!!

I'm psyched as well, and the 2 screenshots I've seen so far are beautiful, and I like that it seems our starters will be following us this time, but won't it be kind of awkward to have a Typhlosion following you around? I guess they made it work in a short-lived anime, but still.

I'm excited to get to see "3 years later Kanto" again; and really excited to see what changes are going to be made, like what they did with FRLG and the 7 islands.

So who's staring with what? I think I'll be going with Cyndaquil, it's been a long time for me and that little guy.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Jomingo » May 25th, 2009, 1:34 pm

I'm not sure who I'll start with, but it probably won't be Chikorita. Grass types are a dime a dozen, and the other two are much cooler.

I can't wait until the day we are allowed to have more than one save file on one game. Every time I want to start over I lose everything. Is anyone else with me?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » May 25th, 2009, 7:20 pm

DK4Ever wrote:I'm psyched as well, and the 2 screenshots I've seen so far are beautiful, and I like that it seems our starters will be following us this time, but won't it be kind of awkward to have a Typhlosion following you around? I guess they made it work in a short-lived anime, but still.

Typhlosion? How about a 2 metre tall feraligatr?
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby The Guy » May 26th, 2009, 9:27 am

Gold was one of my first games ever, so I'm in the Nostalgia of Hype mood as well.
Veteran Venturer

Postby DK4Ever » May 26th, 2009, 10:01 am

I..guess you do sort of have a point there, Gnaw. Didn't think about Feraligatr.

But yeah, I'm right there with ya, Jo, there needs to be at least one more save file; I mean Majora's Mask has another save file, and that's a huge game...and don't get me started on Kingdom Hearts 2.
Treasure Hunter

Return to Gaming Discussion