Speed Running!

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Speed Running!

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 14th, 2008, 3:25 am

Right now, I'm working on a speed run for the N64 Paper Mario, so far, it's been 4 hours and 20 or 30 minutes or so, and I'm in the volcano of Lavalava island. Talk about your speed runs here!

Also, don't forget to vote in the poll! I'm inbetween pretty good, and very good.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Re: Speed Running!

Postby Kowbrainz » December 14th, 2008, 4:45 pm

The poll is so vague I don't think you even need it. Besides, what you see as 'pretty good' is going to vary enormously between your perspective and the perspective of someone who runs the game at a WR level. Case in point - if you ask me about Banjo-Kazooie, I will tell you that anything under 3.30 (total time) is okay. Anything under 3 hours is good, with 2.30 being an excellent time. People who don't run the game are generally under the impression that anything under 5 hours is great, and anything under 3 is near impossible. Expect your perspective to change dramatically as you get better.

I consider myself good at running Banjo-Kazooie. Other games, no. The DKC trilogy, while I can run through the games quickly, I am no where near the level of a WR speedrunner. BK I have the skills for, but not the persistance that other players possess, so I don't do nearly as many practice runs as I should.

Edit: lol who voted perfect? If it wasnt Tompa I'd like a word with them...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby DK4Ever » December 14th, 2008, 5:53 pm

4 hours to almost-done with Lavalava eh? That's pretty good, mate.
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 15th, 2008, 4:09 am

^ Yeah, but it's still not perfect, as the record for beating the game is 3:38, but yeah, I have played this game about 10 times, and this is the first time I actually tried to beat the game as fast as I could :lol: . The first speed run for a game is always a mess though. Once I do a second speed run though, the time is usually cut in half.

So far, it's been 7 hours, and I'm in shiver city, with the scarf from starborn valley already collected.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » December 15th, 2008, 4:02 pm

It would take me like 2 hours to get past the desert my first few runs through, this is madness, and I'd get stuck in chapter 3 just because I hate it so much, I don't even know how that works :(
Treasure Hunter

Postby Tompa » December 16th, 2008, 6:46 am

Kow: Well, I didn't make the first vote, but I sure made the seconds ;). I've had the PAL-records at least... Going to get the NTSC-records once I have a DVD-recorder. Talking about Donkey Kong Country now by the way ;D.

In other runs: I have Oracle of Seasons up at SDA, which is a very bad and rushed run and can easily be improved.
I had the world record, unofficial, of Link's Awakening a few years ago. That was before I knew what a speedruns was, I just wanted to see how fast I could beat the game using my own tricks and routes. Ended up with a time of 1 hour and 52 minutes (Single Segment, most which was done while sitting on the toilet :D, I also died several times.). Around half a year later I found out that the current record was 2 hours and 7 minutes, lol to that.

Other runs I've planned are: Oracle of Seasons, A Link to the Past, Maui Mallard, the Super Star Wars serie etc.

Are TASes including here as well? =P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Kowbrainz » December 19th, 2008, 10:04 am

TAS's... I believe not. It's a completely different skill: being able to speedrun a game and make a decent quality TAS.

I just took first spot on Banjo-Kazooie's leaderboards on the Xbox Live Arcade with a time of [2:38:46], so I suppose I can now vote in the 'perfect' option, although I'm not too sure what the TC believes the definition of this is.

I had no idea you were running other games outside of DKC at a world record standard, Tompa. Find it funny when I see people who manage to do better than the planned runs at SDA. The only other game I've wanted to run before was Banjo-Tooie, but that plan failed when I realised that a major time skipping glitch was only able to be used in the NTSC version. I never ended up doing BK for the SDA because I didn't have a means of recording (bit like yourself) so I've let Gibbatizer do it instead. He seems to be better than me in quite a few areas anyway so I don't mind.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Rodent » December 19th, 2008, 5:04 pm

I've tried to play something as fast as I can, but it's nowhere near a world record time. It takes me about 4 hours to finish DKC without 101%.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Tompa » December 20th, 2008, 12:10 am

You don't have to go for the world record when speedrunning a game. I find speedrunning to be fun, fun to test your own limits in a game. I also think it is a good way to replay a game that you have already played a lot of times before. It is after all a challenge!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 20th, 2008, 10:04 am

Well, I'm currently in Bowser's castle, and it's almost been 9 hours :lol: .

EDIT: Beat the game! Arrived at the final boss at about 9:07, the battle took awhile, so the final time was roughly 9:30, next time, I'm going for 8:00.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » December 21st, 2008, 2:46 pm

Kowbrainz wrote:The poll is so vague I don't think you even need it.

I agree. A poll for this is pretty pointless... Mind if I remove it, gamer_boy? If we were to keep it, 'Perfect' would have to be changed to 'Excellent', and there would have to be a more definitive way of measuring how good we are... I vote we abolish this poll.

I think I probably have the skills and gameplay/level knowledge required for speed running DKC, but I lack the patience/endurance/reliable performance (and free time) one would need to really excel... and when it comes to most other games, I also lack the interest. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 23rd, 2008, 10:27 am

Yeah, I removed the poll, I guess there isn't much point in it :lol: .

EDIT AFTER BUMPING: I need everyone's help! You see, I'm thinking about doing a low% speedrun with DK64 by beating the game with only 5 golden bananas.

You're probably wondering, "How do you do that? You are going to have several problems!", actually, you're wrong. I only have ONE problem, UNO problemo! You see, there is a glitch with Lanky where you're close to a level door and you're facing it, you do his attack of throwing out his arms, once both arms go out, you will reach in, and make it into the level! There is one problem though, and that's with getting into hideout helm, you see, this door is a little different, Lanky's tactic doesn't work, because it's a different kind of door, so I need some help. Could people help me with getting pass the wooden guard and the invisible barrier?

I did discover one thing though, the guard only talks to Chunky :lol: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kowbrainz » December 23rd, 2008, 6:41 pm

Above: Go to the topic on SDA and you might get better help. Another guy is planning a new 100% run soon to beat his old one by 30 minutes so you might get some help there.

That said, I doubt you'll be able to get past if it's an invisible barrier unless you find some way to get underneath the level. I know because I tried countless methods to get under the barrier to Cauldron Keep in Banjo-Tooie.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 24th, 2008, 4:47 am

^ Well, I'm doing a low% speed run, not 100%, so that probably won't help me.

I think I'm stuck :( .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Kowbrainz » December 24th, 2008, 6:01 pm

I'm not saying that; I'm saying that this guy would have more experience with running DK64 and would probably know a lot more tricks than most people here.

When you get serious about speedrunning you need to start researching tricks to use in your runs, so I have no doubts that he would have seen a lot of the tricks used in runs regardless of whether he was doing 100% runs or what.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby gamer_boy997 » December 30th, 2008, 10:45 am

Well anyways, I decided to take a break from the N64, and went back to DKC, but instead of 101%, I'm going for a single-segement, beat-the-game run without the jungle hijinx warp, (I'm playing on the VC, so it doesn't work anyway). My record so far is 0:40, and I'm going for 0:35.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby NxCy » December 31st, 2008, 12:15 am

I'd love to make an any% run of DKC2 (and maybe DKC), but sadly I don't have the necessary recording equipment. :/

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you come up with gamer_boy!
Tourist

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am

^ Thanks! I need to get me some recording equipment too :oops: , I have a vcr recorder, but as far as I know, I'm going to need to transfer it to DVD with a VCR-DVD combo.

EDIT: I looked on Ebay, and DVD recorders aren't that expensive.

EDIT AFTER BUMPING: My new best time is 0:37, everything was very good, except for 4 levels that were majorly messed up, they were Poison Pond (lost Enguarde 3 times and lost Diddy), Mine Cart Madness (had to get Diddy back, and right before middway I died becase I jumped while the minecart fell to another track, and I missed the cart :evil: ), Blackout Basement (Got too hasty and died once), and Manic Mincers (died once here, can't remember why/how though).

Yup, 3 of the 4 levels that I messed up are all next to each other :lol: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby The Guy » January 5th, 2009, 11:48 am

I once completed DKC 3 (GBA) in 3 hours and 41 minutes.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Kowbrainz » January 12th, 2009, 10:59 am

gamer_boy: Yeah, Poison Pond is where I always used to mess up, even if I started doing segmented runs. The other levels aren't too bad, although Manic Mincers can get a bit annoying with Rambi.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby kchrules » January 27th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I made a time attack of Jewel man's stage in Megaman 9:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPqMdYXN2RM
Not the best time but I'm no speedrunner.
Tourist

Postby Kowbrainz » January 28th, 2009, 9:15 pm

^ 'twas alright. The jump at 1.35 was the source of a lot of pain for me when I first ran through.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 29th, 2009, 12:01 am

Um... I don't know if this is good or not, but I beat DKC3 for Game Boy Advance, with 105%, in 2:32. That was the closest I've ever been to "speedrunning". I thought it was pretty good. :P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Return to Gaming Discussion