Crash Bandicoot Discussion

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Crash Bandicoot Discussion

Postby Jomingo » September 10th, 2008, 6:23 am

This is the topic where we can discuss how great the series was, and whatever crap they throw at us in the future.\

R.I.P. Good crash games. :cry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: Crash Bandicoot Discussion

Postby The Angry Sun » September 10th, 2008, 6:45 am

Well now here is a slight typo.

As the Crash Games of today are not as good as the ones in the 90's but they are good.
Nice Voice Actors.
Uka Uka should still have his old voice.
He sounded more evil.

Mind Over Mutant is sounding promising.
Crash of the Titans was fun.

It seems Radical knows what they are doing.

Best of all.
RADICAL IS BRINGING N.BRIO BACK!

He hasn't been seen since Crash Twinsanity.
And even then he barely had any lines if he even had any.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » September 10th, 2008, 6:52 am

Crash of the titans was repetitive, boring, and was a complete departure from what the series started out as. All the characters are completely different in not only looks, but personality as well. Nobody has created a crash character that made sense and followed the personality of the series since Naughty Dog themselves. Because really, that's what I loved about the series: the characters. Crash, Tauna, Aku Aku, Ripper Roo, Koala Kong, Dingodile, Pinstripe Potoroo, N. Tropy, Papu Papu, etc. They've pretty much killed or over used Tiny, N. Gin, and Cortex, and Nina is a turd. I absolutely hate the way the series is going.

And Mind over Mutants is going to be just like CotT.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Angry Sun » September 10th, 2008, 7:01 am

Naughty Dog created the series and it was great sure.
Bui Naughty Dog chose to leave it.

After that it was up to anybody.

As somebody on a Crash Forum once told me.
Personalities are made to change.

I'm pretty sure you knew Crash would change at some point.
He couldn't be semi-intelligent for the rest of his life.

Especially after all those Bonks to the head.

CotT was boring at times but it was interesting.
Like how N.Sanity Island became that area with N.Gin's HQ.

And yes we have proof of that on Crash Mania(That Crash forum I mentioned)
thanks to an interview that they did with one of the Game Designers.

Radical knows what they are doing.

And Game Sales might suggest otherwise on how good they are.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » September 10th, 2008, 7:13 am

Crash of the Titans was good in the sense that Donkey Kong Junglebeat was good. I never said it was bad, but you can't claim to be a crash fan and yet like the direction the series has gone.

Radical knows what to do to make money. They have a popular franchise in there hands and they inserted the characters into a concept where they didn't belong because crash characters make money. Personalities do change, but not in the way that Tiny the Tiger has changed in CotT. It isn't Tiny the Tiger, it's a shell of the character molded to fit a completely different stereotype. He doesn't look or act anything like the original tiny. Instead of changing the character so much(who was overused in my opinion), they should've made a new character! Don't reinvent the character to fit a specific character type.

Naughty Dog created a great series, and were smart enough to let it go instead of playing the concept to death. They never expected it to turn to crap, and whether they chose to leave it or not doesn't have anything to do with how I feel about the series. Just because Naughty Dog knowingly gave away the series doesn't mean I have to like it.

Every characters personality has either been exagerated to the extreme or completely change to fit a niche. Every character is now made to fit a specific overplayed stereotype.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Angry Sun » September 10th, 2008, 7:39 am

Well no I wouldn't bet my fan-boyness(if you call it that) on CotT.

And yes Tiny is overused and is nothing like he was.
But that's such a common complaint.
I see that all the time.

Anything against the gameplay other than boring?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » September 10th, 2008, 9:54 am

It was a cool concept, but like I said it was repetitive. Just beating up badguys over and over, and then taking over badguys so you can fight bad guys, so you can take over more badguys so you can fight more badguys, etc. It just got old, and had they done anything at all to the gameplay it might have been a little more fun. The levels were bland, and often you just moved from area to area fighting enemies and that was it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Angry Sun » September 10th, 2008, 10:54 am

and often you just moved from area to area fighting enemies and that was it.

Um...Yeah.

That was the whole point of Crash 1 through 3.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » September 10th, 2008, 10:59 am

Wrong, the Naughty dog Crash trilogy was about tricky platforming, and in fact it was never really required to kill an enemy. There wasn't much platforming or fun gimmick levels(like the level where you ride on a warthog, or the one where a polar bear chases you) in CotT, and the bosses were tricky and fun to fight in the originals.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby cfh » September 10th, 2008, 11:11 am

I like Vicarious Visions' Crash games. They stayed true to the Naughty Dog version, and their GBA games were some of the first games I ever played.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby The Angry Sun » September 10th, 2008, 11:37 am

and in fact it was never really required to kill an enemy.

Wrong.

Crash 1
In a couple of stages it was required to kill an enemy to move on.

Mainly the bridge levels.

Crash 2
Just off the top of my head since I haven't played in a couple months. (Yeah I own the entire Naughty Dog Collection so you can't yell at me like on the VB.)

Certain Plants needed to be killed.
Certain others needed to be killed.(Like those Robot Doctors)

Crash 3
Alot of certain enemies needed to be killed.

Like those Giant Robots in the Future Stages.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Kowbrainz » September 11th, 2008, 12:14 am

^ Can you stop using the enter key so often? Makes it a little painful to read your posts to be honest.... :/

The first three crash games were awesome. Not sure if they were about 'tricky platforming' so much, but they were certainly fun. From what I recall Wrath of Cortex was alright too, apart from the god awful loading times. I've never owned a PSX, but if I were to ever buy one it would be for this trilogy of games I think.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Jomingo » September 11th, 2008, 6:47 am

All 5 games on the PSX were great, including Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash(the party game).

There may have been times when it was required to kill an enemy, but not to the point where it became ridiculously mundane.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » September 11th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Well, the first Crash Game I got was the Wrath of Cortex. Now that I've played the others I realise that it stayed very true to the series before that. Twinsanity though..... meh, It was alright, but I didn't like it so much, and Tage Geam Racing was disasterous. Now, Crash of the Titans was really awesome, but yeah, a bit repetitive. The titans were really cool and fun, but they should've reduced their numbers a bit, and had more platforming elements and cool little levels like the hog riding, as Jomingo mentioned. But I really hated the character changes, Tiny is totally effed up now, and there's no hope for him going back to normal now. Nina is..bleh, and they seem to have decided to drop Cortex's IQ for no reason. But I still like N.Gin, they haven't so much changed his personality apart from making him a little suicidal. But still, N.Gin is hilarious in that game, the level in his base with the announcements is my favourite in the game. One of my favourite lines (it won't be completely accurate):
"Attention doom monkeys, look at the monkey to your right, then to your left. If one of them is Crash Bandicoot, INFLICT UNSPEAKABLE PAIN AND HORROR UPON HIM, WITH POINTED STICKS, AND RATCHETS, AND HORRIBLE DEVICES NO MAN NOR MONKEY WAS EVER MEANT TO WIELD! AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! Also...(can't remember exactly)...That is all."
The Angry Sun wrote:RADICAL IS BRINGING N.BRIO BACK!
He hasn't been seen since Crash Twinsanity.
And even then he barely had any lines if he even had any.

Yeah, two games in between, how awful. :roll: Frankly though, I think N.Brio would've made an awesome boss in CotT, but i'll explain more later....
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Jomingo » September 12th, 2008, 6:12 am

Well, I grew up on the originals(I was once as big a crash fan as I was a DK fan), and with every new installment I've lost more and more faith in the series. The Wrath of Cortex was good, it was like the originals but added a lot of fun concepts(like the rolling hamster ball parts). It wasn't great, but it did feel like a real sequel. Nitro Kart was ok, and it had a pretty fun multiplayer mode, but the story was too much of a departure from the series for me. I mean, all the boring new bosses could've been great returns of awesome characters from the past.

Pretty much every game since then was a dissapointment.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Gnawzooka » September 12th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Yeah, they sure screwed up with the bosses in CNK. Not only were they wierd new characters they just made up, but you couldn't unlock them to play with. That's two things they could've easily done better. But apart from graphics, I find CTR to be waaaay better. And Tag Team Racing.... :cry:
As for the Wrath of Cortex, I'm yet to play Warped ( :o ) but I find it to be better than the first two. Although it sucks taht all the bosses are Crunch.
Oh, one more thing though, despite the direction the series has gone I'm glad Naughty Dog dropped it, or they may have focused on that rather than the JaK series. And the Jak games are really awesome. :mrgreen:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby SLY JO » October 26th, 2008, 5:24 pm

I loved all the PSX Crash titles.
Proudly maxed% (can't remember max% in each game) all except Crash Bash. Some of the Relic/Gen/etc battles in Crash Bash neared impossible.

Can't see myself replaying PSX classics anytime soon. I find PSX to be very unreliable and freeze to often.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » October 27th, 2008, 7:59 am

Indeed, the original playstations have a weak laser or something because every one I've had starts freezing or not reading the disks eventually. They aren't designed to last long, I'll tell you that much.

I just played through Crash Bash yesterday, got through everything but some gems and crystals in the last warp room(thus preventing me from challenging the final boss). I might finish it later.....
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby SLY JO » October 31st, 2008, 2:09 pm

Did anyone else notice Fake Crash in Crash 3: Warped? He was standing on an island in one of the jet ski levels.
Trainee Trekker

Postby The Angry Sun » October 31st, 2008, 8:42 pm

Yeah. That only happens when you get 10(whatever % It kept changing alot). He shows up and starts dancing in two places...3 if you own the PAL version.(Lucky PAL owners)

TThe levels that I know he's in are:

Toad Village
Hog Wild
and one of the Jetski levels. The first one I think.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Jomingo » November 1st, 2008, 3:30 am

Yeah, in one of the motorcycle levels there is a sign with an alien on it, and if you hit it you are transported to the secret warp room.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby SLY JO » November 5th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Jomingo wrote:Yeah, in one of the motorcycle levels there is a sign with an alien on it, and if you hit it you are transported to the secret warp room.

Same with running into one of the terodactyls in the level where the big dinosaur thingy is chasing you towards the screen, rather than away.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Swing King » November 6th, 2008, 12:09 pm

So, anyone play Mind Over Mutant yet? I haven't, but I'm told it's okay.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Rodent » November 21st, 2008, 9:40 pm

I liked all the secrets in the first few games. They're good fun, even the newer ones.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Return to Gaming Discussion