Virtual Console Games

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Virtual Console Games

Postby DK4Ever » September 2nd, 2008, 2:22 pm

A topic for general discussion of Wii Virtual Console games.
(This started as a Super Mario RPG discussion, but has since expanded)

Well, it finally happened.

Today, we got SM RPG on the virtual console, rejoice!

I only just bought it about an hour ago, and I stopped at Bandit's Way after getting to level 3 because I thought I'd gamed enough today, but I'm glad I can play it without an emulator again! (I could play it on my Snes, but now they're BOTH MIA, so :( )

Has anyone else bought it yet? :)

(There is now a Super Mario RPG topic ← please discuss SMRPG there)
Treasure Hunter

Re: Super Mario RPG on the Virtual Console! (In North America)

Postby gamer_boy997 » September 2nd, 2008, 2:38 pm

I was planning on downloading it today, but it is now a little late here, so I probably won't download it until tommorow late afternoon. Also, this may be a little off topic, but I think we should change this topic... why not also chat about other VC games? We don't have a board for that. I'll start off saying what games I have.

Final Fight
Gradius III
Kirby's Adventure
Super Gouls and Ghosts
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2

Again, I plan on getting SMRPG tomorrow afternoon, I might also get DKC3 with it, any recommendations?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Re: Virtual Console Games

Postby DK4Ever » September 2nd, 2008, 3:08 pm

Good advice there, gamer_boy, the topic title's been changed.

Yes, i'd say grab all the DKCs, SM RPG, and any others. BUT. Before you buy them, think about your choices, because the Wii's memory is unfortunately very limited, so you may get to a point where you have to delete games you paid for to buy others (for the memory space of course)

as far as recomendations... Paper Mario? I loved going through that again on the VC, or you could get something that's always fun for a quick playthrough: Yoshi's Story.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Rodent » September 2nd, 2008, 7:30 pm

I've got Lylat Wars and Super Mario Brothers 3 for my VC. I'm planning on getting Yoshi's Story and something else though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby DK4Ever » September 3rd, 2008, 6:24 am

I'll just go ahead and list all of the ones I currently have.

DKC
DKC2
DKC3
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 (The japanese original one, not the doki-doki panic one)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Super Mario RPG
LoZ Link to the Past
Paper Mario
Kid Icarus

And I think that's it.

(Now to wait for DK64....)
Treasure Hunter

Postby Swing King » September 3rd, 2008, 8:00 am

I actually heard DK64 might come to the DS.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » September 3rd, 2008, 10:20 am

Oh yeah? That'd be great.
Treasure Hunter

Postby gamer_boy997 » September 3rd, 2008, 10:48 am

DK4Ever wrote:the Wii's memory is unfortunately very limited, so you may get to a point where you have to delete games you paid for to buy others (for the memory space of course)

Even if someone does run out of memory, they can buy an SD card, and they can move memory to the SD card, it's a hassle to take things off, put them back on, and so on, but it's better than not being able to play anything.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » September 3rd, 2008, 11:16 am

I did that, but the trouble is, the memory only takes up 1-2 blocks, while the games themselves take up 20-40
Treasure Hunter

Postby Simion32 » September 3rd, 2008, 12:46 pm

DK4Ever wrote:you may get to a point where you have to delete games you paid for to buy others (for the memory space of course)
-------------
I did that, but the trouble is, the memory only takes up 1-2 blocks, while the games themselves take up 20-40
Actually, I think you can redownload the games you deleted for free: Once you pay the first time, you can re-download it as many times as you need (as long as you don't delete your Wii account data). That way you can keep the ones you play most often and can have the others "on-hold".

This almost goes without saying: NEVER DELETE YOUR WII SHOP ACCOUNT DATA.

I have only DKC and DKC2 on virtual console, nothing else.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » September 3rd, 2008, 12:54 pm

I have too many Virtual Console games to list, but here are a few:

All available games with "Donkey Kong" in the title, with the exception of Donkey Kong 3.
Paper Mario
Super Mario 64
Ice Climber
Balloon Fight
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
And about a billion more.

I'm excited for SMRPG, but I won't be buying it any time soon. Can't afford it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby gamer_boy997 » September 3rd, 2008, 2:08 pm

I got SMRPG, I like it so far. I got Mallow, but I'm stuck on Croco, yet I use as many special moves as I can, and I try to perform the timed hits the best that I can, and Mario and Mallow are on level 3. I heard the lowest you could beat this game was level 3, so there must be some huge strategy or secret I'm missing, or I just need more mushrooms and syrup. Either way, I don't want anyone spoiling to me an easy way to beat bosses, until I am really challenging myself, and I want some tips, but until then, I'm going to try my best to beat the game on my own.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby DK4Ever » September 3rd, 2008, 2:50 pm

I don't think you can beat Croco at level 3 unless you get really, really lucky.

I'll put my advice in spoiler tags though, in case you still don't want any hints, but it's here if you need it.

Spoiler!
Just kill things, and get both characters to at least level 4, then Croco will hit for 4, not like 18. Also, go back to MK, and buy armor items and such. And when you get a starman, just run into enemies, each one you kill gives you xp as though you fought it.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Swing King » September 4th, 2008, 7:34 am

I have yet to download, but you can't save VC games can you?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » September 4th, 2008, 7:40 am

Once you pay for and download a VC game, it is saved in two seperate files I think; one for the game and one for your save file. If you run out of room on your Wii you can delete one of your games, but the save file is still there. Anytime you want you can download it again for free, and your save file(s) will still be there. The only problem is that you cannot move the game anywhere, it has to stay on the console it was bought from. You can keep it backed up on an SD card, but you can't upload that to anything but your original console you purchased the games with.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Swing King » September 4th, 2008, 9:01 am

Thanks Jomingo, now I'm not afraid of getting a high DKC score and it being deleted!
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Jomingo » September 4th, 2008, 10:22 am

What do you mean? I said that your save file will still be there after you re-download it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Swing King » September 4th, 2008, 10:58 am

I'm new to the Wii in terms of hardware and I was afraid it couldn't have save files for the VC games.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » September 4th, 2008, 12:08 pm

I think Jomingo must have missed the "not" in your previous post.
Swing King wrote:Thanks Jomingo, now I'm not afraid of...

I didn't read it correctly first time round, either. :oops:

Anyhow, I've only collected the DKC trilogy so far, but I'm keen to get Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) sometime. I just know I'll never get around to playing it if I have to leave my computer to do so... :P I mean, I can plug my N64 controllers into my laptop via USB adapter - you can't use those old controllers with VC games, can you? It would be a shame to not have that classic N64 button setup.

There's another game that sounds interesting - Sin and Punishment. A previously Japan-only N64 shooter which a review at vc-reviews.com claims to be "a practically faultless shooter and (in my opinion at least) the pinnacle of the N64’s output". Interestingly, it costs a bit more than any other VC game... for those extra 200 points, it must be good.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » September 5th, 2008, 6:27 am

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't see the not. :oops:

And Qyz, officially you would have to use a gamecube or Classic controller, but I think there are special Wii adapted controllers from gaming past available on the internet. There's at least a SNES and Genesis one, so I assume they've made an N64 one. Though it might not be worth the trouble.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Stone » September 5th, 2008, 10:29 am

I've seen a few months ago that Nintendo produces SNES-style Wii Controllers, but they are only officially available in japan. Damn! :roll:
The plastic thing under one of my D-pads is a little bit damaged, maybe they are changeable between the original SNES and the Wii version?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Rodent » September 5th, 2008, 11:51 am

Qyzbud wrote:Anyhow, I've only collected the DKC trilogy so far, but I'm keen to get Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) sometime. I just know I'll never get around to playing it if I have to leave my computer to do so... :P I mean, I can plug my N64 controllers into my laptop via USB adapter - you can't use those old controllers with VC games, can you? It would be a shame to not have that classic N64 button setup.

You'd be surprised, but I like the feel better with a Gamecube controller.

Does anyone else think this topic would be better in the general Gaming Discussion board?
Qyz says: Funny... I just noticed that it was in Mario Games and came over to move it. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 5th, 2008, 9:12 am

Qyzbud wrote:There's another game that sounds interesting - Sin and Punishment. A previously Japan-only N64 shooter which a review at vc-reviews.com claims to be "a practically faultless shooter and (in my opinion at least) the pinnacle of the N64’s output". Interestingly, it costs a bit more than any other VC game... for those extra 200 points, it must be good.

From what I hear, that is a pretty good game, but I believe they add those extra points to all Japan-only titles. And I just noticed...

Dig Dug?!?! What, people have actually paid extra for that crap just because it wasn't on their NES twenty years ago? I always assumed people just bought the latest Namco Museum for whatever system they had, but... come on. :roll:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Kowbrainz » October 10th, 2008, 5:14 pm

I have Lylat Wars and Mario Kart 64. I reckon I should have bought the originals off ebay instead, though.
I'm keen on getting Megaman 9, but I'm not sure if I should get it for the Wii or 360. I only just got into the Megaman games recently, so I'll play through the first eight then decide.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Swing King » October 11th, 2008, 8:01 am

So, anyone think DK64 will ever be put on the VC?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 11th, 2008, 8:31 am

You know, I would like that, but I'm not sure if that's ever gonna happen. It'd be cool though.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » October 11th, 2008, 11:08 am

If SMRPG did, I won't rule out the possibility.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Jomingo » October 13th, 2008, 9:58 am

I'd consider it more of an inevitability. I mean, despite the reviews it did sell really well, and with the recent good sales of the DKC trilogy on VC(DKC was in the top five best selling VC games for a good while) I would be very surprised if it didn't come to it eventually. And if it doesn't happen before the next system hits, I'm pretty sure they are going to bring the VC to the next system with all the current library already set, plus they'll start moving games to it from more recent consoles(like Gamecube, and probably Dreamcast).

What we should be asking ourselves are the ones with legal issues involved, mainly the Rare-made games. I mean, B-K and BT are both coming to XBLA, and as far as I know Nintendo could have easily not allowed that to happen(as they did with Goldeneye 007). So if Nintendo allowed it on the 360, do they intend on releasing them for VC?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » October 13th, 2008, 11:02 am

Um... What do you mean by "despite the reviews"? Donkey Kong 64 got fantasmic reviews from just about everyone.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Rodent » October 20th, 2008, 7:01 pm

I bought A Link To The Past and DKC2 this week. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » October 24th, 2008, 6:08 am

I've bought:

-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Super Star Soldier (I was so excited because of the launch of the VC, that I would buy almost ANYTHING, but now I deleted it)
-DKC Trilogy (The last one of the trilogy I bought was DKC2 because I don't have it on SNES)
-Metroid (I deleted it)
-SimCity (I was really bored at the time so I bought it, I deleted it later)
-Super Metroid
-StarFox 64
-Super Mario RPG (One of my family's favorite games)
-Pokémon Snap
-Super Mario Bros.

from the Virtual Console. I've deleted some because of the Wii's limited memory. (but I need to restore them now that I've got a WiiSD Card)

EDIT: I forgot Kirby's Adventure, it's a GREAT game!
Trailblazer

Postby Rodent » October 24th, 2008, 8:32 am

Was last nights update so we can put them onto SD cards now?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » October 24th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Actually, last night's update was for the Wii Shop Channel, I don't know what they changed because I haven't checked it out yet, but if you want to save games in an SD card, you have to buy an SD card formatted for the Wii. (You can search it on google, they also sell them at some videogame stores, like GameStop)
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 26th, 2008, 6:53 am

I just got DKC3 off the VC, and it will probably be the last one on the VC I will get, here is my final collection:

Final Fight
Kirby's Adventure (I won't my wii points back :evil: )
Gradius III
Super Gouls and Ghosts
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble

DKC3 is much better on the SNES then the GBA, there is better quality, mostly better music, better sound, Swanky's minigame is better, there are many different in-game cheats to use, and many other things. The things that are worse? There is one less world and boss, which means less DK coins, 'B' coins, and banana birds, Funky and Cranky don't have there own games, and a few other things. All in all, the SNES version is better.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Rodent » November 23rd, 2008, 6:47 pm

I downloaded Super Mario World about an hour ago. Me and a friend are playing through it together.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Katastrophe Kong » April 10th, 2009, 1:27 pm

DKC2
Yoshi's Story
SMRPG
Sonic the Hedgehog2
SM64
Paper Mario
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby BigDonkey101 » April 25th, 2009, 4:54 pm

DKC1-3
Super Mario Bros1-3
Super Mario World
Zelda:A Link to the Past
Super Mario RPG(my favorite game)
Kirby 64
Super Mario64
Paper Mario
Mario Kart64.
Tourist

Postby Gnawzooka » April 27th, 2009, 1:45 pm

I've Got Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3, Sonic the Hedgehog and Ocarina of Time. I don't really like Ocarina of time and sonic is kinda boring and annoying.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby FefeRawft » May 2nd, 2009, 10:43 am

Swing King wrote:I actually heard DK64 might come to the DS.

*Faints*

*Wakes up an hour later*

That awesome I've been waiting for this for a while!!
Trailblazer

Postby Jomingo » May 2nd, 2009, 11:08 am

Don't get your hopes up. That's been a rumor for a long time. It'll more than likely never happen.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Markster » August 20th, 2010, 11:37 pm

I got some Virtual Console games :

Super Mario Bros. (Like)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Like)
Legend Of Zelda (Like)
Kirby's Adventure (Love)
Super Mario World (Love)
Zelda 2 (Like)
Pacman (Okay)
Donkey Kong Country (Love)
Legend Of Zelda A Link To The Past (Like)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Like)
Paper Mario (Love)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (Love)

And the only reason i don't have Donkey Kong Country 3 is because i own it on a cartridge.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby FefeRawft » August 22nd, 2010, 7:49 pm

Markster wrote:And the only reason i don't have Donkey Kong Country 3 is because i own it on a cartridge.

Most of my VC games I have in a cartridge too. Take Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I own it on:

-Original N64 cartridge
-OoT/Master Quest promo disk
-Collector's edition (contains OoT, Majora's Mask, Zelda I, Zelda II)
-VC download
-I think I had it's ROM, back when I downloaded them.

5 copies....

DKC2

-SNES cartridge
-Another SNES cartridge
-GBA cartridge
-VC download

4 copies.

I'm crazy enough to buy that many :P
Trailblazer

Postby Markster » August 23rd, 2010, 10:56 am

Cool, did you know that i was planning to get a Donkey Kong Country 2 cartridge but instead, i bought it on the VC, because i could not find one, :( ,That was March 2010.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Return to Gaming Discussion