Is Super Mario 64 Truly Creepy

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Is Super Mario 64 Truly Creepy

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 11th, 2022, 9:34 am

I’ve heard about SM64 being creepy. Being that I’ve never played video games newer than the Super Nintendo I have no idea! I’ve played DKC1,2,3, Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Top Gear, The Lion King, and Tetris. On SM64, people say you feel lost and that everything is creepy, the creatures, the music, everything. And don’t get me started on the Never ending staircase. I feel like it was a mistake, removing Luigi and Yoshi and that you’re left exploring an empty castle. With Bowser’s laughs around every corner. It sounds creepy, it SM64 as bad as they say? :huh: :scratch: :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Re: Is Super Mario 64 Truly Creepy

Postby Sledgehammer44 » October 11th, 2022, 10:38 am

It isn't really. Just another case of people's imaginations running wild.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 5

Postby Super Luigi! » October 11th, 2022, 11:38 am

Super Mario 64 can seem odd to modern audiences, I suppose, but I grew up with it, so I don't mind the game much. That being said, I think the "Every copy of SM64 is personalized" idea has some merit. When I lent my copy of the game to a friend, he sent me videos back where some creepy stuff was happening. Mostly, the Boos were laughing too much and acting very strange.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 11th, 2022, 1:57 pm

I just played it in an emulator, and it certainly wasn’t my favorite game. I think the field of view of the screen was too narrow, making it seem a bit claustrophobic. I think it could’ve been a bit less dark and it would’ve been nice if you could have both Luigi and Yoshi in the game. Although DK64 wasn’t perfect, I liked it much better, and of course the DKC series was by far the best! Thanks for the opinions! I do think the personalized copy part is perhaps exaggerated, but who knows, I do know that it’s not an AI that personalizes it for two reasons. The hardware and the technology back then was not capable of that and furthermore, the code has been analyzed and no such AI exists. I did forget to mention earlier that I had played MarioKart 64 and DK64. I would be more likely to believe that they have a lot of preset generated “personalization” things and each cartridge gets a different personalization package. I have decided that I am going to analyze the code myself and look for any anomalies that catch my eye. Because I think that there is more going on in the code then that meets the eye, new technology and hardware allows for interesting experiments and something may be awry. Once again, thanks for your opinions! Also, thanks Super Luigi! For the idea of combining all of the DKC tricks in one topic. Coming soon! Blackout Basement SJR! :thumbs: :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Sledgehammer44 » October 11th, 2022, 5:03 pm

In all honesty, the whole "personalization" thing is just a bunch of nonsense. That kind of technology wasn't really up to that point in time and even then, I highly doubt that Nintendo would put such a thing in a game that was mostly played by young people. The whole "Mario 64 horror" thing really peaked around the summer of 2020 but it fortunately has subsided. Some things people say and make or show do look very convincing, but in the end you just have to remember that it's only fiction and isn't true. Also the whole thing about Wet Dry World is fake. There have been some images floating around claiming to be ripped graphics of the brain cortex that was supposedly used as a reference, but this ended up being a fabrication. I myself have played the level and felt absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. I'm just glad I could finally get this out because it is quiet frustrating how many people actually believe in copies being personalized when at worst it's only a case of the Mandela effect. You just have to live by the saying that you shouldn't believe everything you hear or see online.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 5

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 11th, 2022, 5:16 pm

I suppose you’re right! Either way my DKC is still my favorite game! Do you know who came up with the personalized thing? That’s not really something that you really come up with without proof. Also, I had never heard of wet dry world but either way, something felt off of the game, I just don’t like games that aren’t upbeat. Super Mario 64 may not be nessecarily be particularly dark, but I still don’t like it that much. Before I knew about Super Mario 64 and was playing MarioKart 64 I really wanted to be able to go inside Peach’s castle in Royal Raceway. Thanks for your opinions! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby rainbowsprinklez » October 12th, 2022, 10:23 am

WesternTanager794 wrote:Coming soon! Blackout Basement SJR! :thumbs: :parry:

Sadly, I could never make blackout SJR faster... although we found multiple methods back in the day. There is always the TAS only 4-3 SJR!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 12th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Of course, I’ll have to give that a go! The reason I started this topic is because I watched one video about how the personalization is not true at all and it’s creepy and the other one was that it is personalized and is creepy, so I was just curious. :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to Gaming Discussion