The Everdrive GB

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

The Everdrive GB

Postby Blaziken257 » April 13th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Some time ago, I got an Everdrive GB, a flash cart for the Game Boy / Game Boy Color. As you might guess, it can play the vast majority of licensed GB/GBC games (all the Donkey Kong games for GB/GBC that I've tried, as well as numerous other games, work flawlessly), and is compatible with most Game Boy models, such as the original GB, the GBC, the Super Game Boy, and the GBA models (though I heard it has issues with the GB Pocket). Like many other flash carts, it uses a Micro SD card, and you can store several ROMs on there. (Hopefully these are ROMs that you obtained legally!)

Needless to say, it can run ROM hacks as well, so if you want to run hacks on real hardware (or test hacks that you have made), this is a great way to do so. (I was quick to try the English patch for the GBC version of Donkey Kong Land III, and it worked perfectly!)

Not surprisingly, it's also compatible with the Link Cable, so you can connect with other games such as Pokémon as if your flash cart were the real thing. I'm assuming that it also works with the GBC's infrared feature, but I haven't been able to try this.

Also, the save files that are stored on the Micro SD card are compatible with save files that emulators normally use, so that's a good thing.

Another thing that I like is that, unlike many other flash carts out there, the Everdrive GB is rather reliable, and won't break on you easily. There's no having to worry if it will stop working after normal use!

As good as this is, one major shortcoming is that it lacks a real-time clock. While only a few games use it, such as Pokémon and Telefang, they won't work properly on the Everdrive GB flashcart, so these games require patches to be playable here. (Couldn't the Everdrive GB have a fake real-time clock or something?) Other special features that are unique to a few cartridges, such as a motion sensor or a camera, are not supported either.

In addition, it does not support the N64 Transfer Pak, because N64 games won't see the Everdrive GB as an actual Game Boy game. Though, apparently, there is a way to mod the Transfer Pak if you're concerned about this, but I don't know the details of this too well.

Finally, I must mention that the price is rather steep -- it's roughly $80 USD, which is more than many new video games. The wide game compatibility, as well as the physical durability, make up for this, even with the glaring lack of RTC. If you're a Game Boy freak like I am, and want to play several games in one cartridge (including ROM hacks), then I would recommend this.

And if you're curious as to how the cart looks like, here's a picture of mine. Though, I've seen carts with different labels, so I guess it depends on where you buy it from.

Does anybody else besides me own an Everdrive GB?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: The Everdrive GB

Postby OneOf99 » April 13th, 2016, 2:04 pm

I don't own an Everdrive GB, however I do own (and highly recommend) my DSTWO (well, maybe I recommend another DSTWO. Don't take mine). It is a flash cart for the DS (obviously) that can emulate not only DS but also GBA and... wait for it... SNES!!!!! So guess how I play DKC now. Unfortunately, it seems to not want to play GB or GBC games (wah... I want my Link's Awakening!)

Anyway, the DSTWO can emulate DS Wi-Fi, but not GBA linkage. This kind of sucks, but I understand due to the need for cables and such.

Still, a good product, and allows for up to four save states on each individual DS game, 10 for each GBA game, and a whopping 16 for the SNES!

The DSTWO also uses a Micro SD card, but save states seem to be incompatible with DesMuMe or Snes9x. I haven't tried yet with VBA.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Blaziken257 » April 20th, 2016, 4:32 pm

I have a DSTWO as well, which works well for DS games/homebrew, though I don't like how fragile it appears. And I have used Lameboy for it, which I recall working fairly well, except the sound quality is somewhat iffy if I remember right. I believe the DKL games are all playable on Lameboy, for one thing.

Still, I tend to prefer playing games on real hardware as opposed to emulation, which is one reason why I got the Everdrive GB, even when I already owned a DSTWO. That's especially the case when playing games on Super Game Boy, since many SGB emulators either fake the emulation and/or are really slow. And being able to link with real GB cartridges is a nice thing to have too.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby OneOf99 » April 21st, 2016, 8:57 am

I tried to get Lameboy to work, but the .gbc or .gb files won't appear. Only folder names appear.

Obviously real hardware is more fun than emulation, but I don't mind playing things like Link's Awakening with GameCube controllers on my PC. I am surprised, however, at how poor SNES emulation is on the DSTWO. I mean, I get some slowdown but Super Mario RPG is unplayable. Even at fastest (aka worst graphics) settings.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Return to Gaming Discussion