Xbox 360 favorite games

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Xbox 360 favorite games

Postby Phyreburnz » August 27th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Not sure how many of you guys own 360s, but what are your favorite games?

My boyfriend and I just got one and I'm looking for some good suggestions (specifically platformers) :)

So what games do you like and are there any good platformers I should keep my eyes out for?

I got Sonic Generations and beat it already (got it yesterday, beat it today). It was short, but so much fun. Overall, I've never been a fan of modern Sonic, but this game, even the modern levels, were lots of fun. I tried Sonic Colors for the Wii and didn't like it... it felt like a FMV game to me.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: Xbox 360 favorite games

Postby Qyzbud » August 27th, 2015, 4:48 pm

My experience with Xbox gaming is almost nil, but there are a bunch of excellent (multi)platform games that I can recommend.

Now available

• Rayman Origins & Rayman Legends are both beautiful, vibrant, charming platform games. I haven't played Legends yet, but by all accounts it's an improvement on Origins, which is saying something.
  • Limbo is a dark and sinister puzzle platformer — short but sweet, with some clever, challenging puzzles and a wonderfully eerie atmosphere.
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams has a great visual style — two great visual styles, actually! A fun and vibrant 2.5D platformer.
  • Addendum: Braid is a charming and challenging puzzle platformer where rewinding time is as necessary as jumping!

Coming soon

• Ori and the Blind Forest (X360 release: TBA 2015) is a breathtakingly beautiful adventure platformer (some would call it a "metroidvania" game) I thoroughly loved playing it on PC, and I can't recommend this game highly enough!
  • Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty (X360 release: TBA) is an excellent modern remake of the 1997 "cinematic platformer" Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. Challenging and full of charm.

Hopefully that'll give you a few options to look at. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Chibisai Kong » August 27th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Would very much recommend the Fable series of games, as well as Devil May Cry 4. There's not many 360 games 8 enjoy but those are the ones I can name offhand.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Kingizor » August 28th, 2015, 3:48 am

Qyzbud wrote:Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

An essay on why I wouldn't bother with New 'n' Tasty:
Spoiler!
I was rather excited for this a while back, but a number of things went wrong. It was delayed a number of times, but that's something that doesn't really bother me in general. What does bother me is that it was announced and built up as being multi-platform, but out of the blue was released as a PS3 exclusive for about seven months. Moves like are a surefire way of killing the hype of a new game, by the time it gets released on anything else it's already an old game. Pretty much the same thing happened with GTAV, but at least they tried to justify it with the later release containing a considerable amount of improvements over the original. The delayed non-PS3 versions of New 'n' Tasty on the other hand other than a few small bug fixes are practically identical to the PS3 version released 7-9 months prior. Disgraceful.

The delayed release on other platforms managed to scare people off for other reasons, namely people owning the PS3 version being able to pick it apart and point out all the negatives before everyone else has a chance to find out for themselves. Heavy in-game advertising of games produced by the same studio stuck out as being both demeaning and insulting. Other things like repetitive dialogue and a very low difficulty threshold were regular complaints as well.

The original Abe games are sacred. If New 'n' Tasty wasn't largely based off of them it probably wouldn't be nearly as well received. Yes, it contains a lot of new assets and looks different, but you've basically stolen the same environments, level layouts and other things designed and created by the original team, so I'd recommend the originals every time. In my eyes it takes a lot more than a graphical redesign to make something substantially better (others may disagree!).

Remakes are typically an unattractive prospect. I can't stand watching or playing what I'd consider to be a severely flawed interpretation of something I know well. In many situations remakes seem to be a way for people to make money without the need for creativity or originality. Although there are many bad remakes, the example that of a botched remake is The Omen. The original 1976 version is a classic. In 2006, the horrendous remake was created. The latter is a literally dead word for word copy of the original, save for the violent bits and a dream sequence that didn't fit in at all. Good remakes are hard to come by and ones that surpass the original are rarer still.

I don't see New 'n' Tasty getting released on the 360. Word of mouth is that it has been increasingly difficult for developers to find publishers willing to release anything on the 360 since the Xbox One came into the picture.

As for 360 recommendations, I can't think of much in the way of platformers. There are a number of fun titles on XBLA. I've heard Qyzbud mention Fez a few times, then there's the insanely difficult Super Meat Boy, and the deceptively simple N+. I believe the 360 has limited backwards compatibility with original Xbox titles? That could open up a few possibilities; games like Psychonauts or JSRF.

Each incarnation of the Xbox has traditionally been a hub for first/third person shooters (Halo, Mass Effect, Saints Row, etc) and open world games (GTA series, Red Dead Redemption, Oblivion (bad!), Skyrim (good!), Fallout 3+NV, Sleeping Dogs, etc). Anything not in those two genres is probably in the minority.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Phyreburnz » August 30th, 2015, 4:36 am

Unless I can find a way to download games onto a flash drive or something for the xbox, I won't be having it connected to the internet. Those things that connect them are pretty expensive. I'll look and see if I would be able to put xbox games on a flash drive and play them on the system. That would be a good workaround for not having it hooked up to the internet. It's a wonder that you need some other component to hook it up... you don't for a Wii... D'aw well.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Return to Gaming Discussion