The Nintendo 2DS

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

What are your thoughts on this newfangled contraption?

I love it!
9%
Seems good.
9%
It's an alright idea.
36%
This is bad.
No votes
I hate it!
No votes
What was Nintendo thinking?
18%
9%
This made me lose faith in Nintendo.
5%
And I care why?
5%
It's cheaper? Meh, sure.
9%

Total votes : 22

The Nintendo 2DS

Postby Super Luigi! » September 5th, 2013, 3:39 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/02/tech/gami ... -2ds-react
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/is-all-of- ... od-reason/

Well, take a look at what we have here! I don't have much to add (or very many sources), since I just wanted to bring this to everybody's attention. Personally, I probably won't buy the 2DS or 3DS, but please, comment below.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Re: The Nintendo 2DS

Postby Dixie Diddy » November 8th, 2013, 10:54 am

isn't ds alredy in 2d I mean seriously with the 3ds without turning up the 3d it was in 2d
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Simion32 » November 8th, 2013, 11:54 am

The 3D requires extra hardware (and therefore is more expensive), so they wanted to sell a cheaper version of the 3DS for those who don't want 3D. That's why it's called 2DS.

The 3DS is much more powerful/faster (and different) hardware than the original DS. You really can't compare the two. The original DS doesn't have dedicated 3D hardware in it, nor does it have the special "parallax barrier" 3D screen (which are probably a big part of the cost).

When comparing game systems you have to consider the hardware and design details, not just what you see at first glance.

There's a lot more to it than just "system A does X" and "system B doesn't do X".
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Dixie Diddy » November 11th, 2013, 10:22 am

want 2-D just get the original systems DS,DS lite, DSi
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » November 11th, 2013, 10:52 am

I don't believe you can play DKCR3D (or any other 3DS games) on those older models, which might be a bit of a deal-breaker for DKC fans — or anyone interested in playing recent/upcoming releases.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » November 11th, 2013, 11:27 am

Qyzbud is right.

The 2DS is simply a 3DS without the 3D screen capability.

The old DS is not capable of running 3DS games.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » November 11th, 2013, 11:29 am

I have to say that I would be more likely to consider buying a 2DS than a 3DS. My boyfriend has a 3DS and I can't play with the 3D on at all. It gives me a headache. But why would they design it like that? I don't know why they wouldn't make it fold like the other DSs.... That makes it seem clunky for sure.

Well... it doesn't matter much for me anyway because I do not have the money to buy any new games/systems. Also, I never really play my handhelds... I'm not sure why, but even with my boyfriend's old DS and him letting me borrow his R4, I still don't play it...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » November 11th, 2013, 11:35 am

What's an R4, Phyre?

The design was most likely changed to cut costs, as the clamshell is more expensive to construct.

I find the 3D screen disconcerting (and poor quality), too. I much prefer to play/watch in 2D.

I'm not much for portable games, either.

Simion, did you mean:
The 2DS is not simply a 3DS without the 3D screen capability.

:huh:

There are other changes, as Phyre alluded...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » November 11th, 2013, 11:43 am

I'm saying it's a reduced cost version that can play the games but doesn't have the extra 3D-centric hardware parts.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » November 11th, 2013, 11:45 am

Fair enough; I suppose that's the gist of the device, in a nutshell (not a clamshell). :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby MrsQyzbud » November 14th, 2013, 12:44 am

Phyreburnz wrote:...My boyfriend has a 3DS and I can't play with the 3D on at all. It gives me a headache.

I have the 3DS XL and it took me a few days and tries to get used to it but now I am; it looks great! It hurt my eyes a bit, too.

Phyreburnz wrote:...But why would they design it like that? I don't know why they wouldn't make it fold like the other DSs.... That makes it seem clunky...

I agree! I was looking at it because it was so much cheaper but it's size (the fact that you can't fold it) and it's small screen put me off.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 20

Postby Super Luigi! » November 14th, 2013, 4:39 am

The size doesn't bother me, as I somewhat like the idea of holding a giant gaming system. However, I still won't buy the 2DS, the 3DS (XL), or the 4DS whenever it comes out. To make a long story short, there's nothing there for me. I could say the same thing for the Wii U, but there's Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, and that simply can't be missed.

As a side note, I'm glad Dixie Diddy posted in here, and in turn sparked our discussion.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby MrsQyzbud » November 14th, 2013, 1:40 pm

But what about DKC 3D?

I love it!
(I think it's similar on the Wii but I still love it!)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 20

Postby Super Luigi! » November 14th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I've thought about it, but I'm passing. I love DKC as much as the next Atlas member that loves it as much as I do, but I'm not a Krazed Kollector. I don't need every single type of DK game there is. I'm as happy as I can be with Returns on the Wii, and I see no reason to buy a 2/3DS just for this game. But nevertheless, I hope you still have fun with it and its green balloons that don't give you two lives but instead rescue you from bottomless pits.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Qyzbud » November 14th, 2013, 3:22 pm

SL's worked it out; MrsQyzbud means DKCR 3D (for those playing at home). :geek:

It surely is a great game, and there are some nice extras/changes that set it apart from the Wii version, but if you do have a Wii and DKCR, there's no real need to get the portable version. That said, the extra levels and dedicated roll button are both fairly compelling — as is the ability to play the game wherever you are — but if you don't have a 3DS (or 2DS) already, it's tricky to justify such an investment. I just wish the new levels/options/improvements could be made available as DLC for the Wii version. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby MrsQyzbud » November 14th, 2013, 4:29 pm

I like being able to play Donkey Kong on the train though :(
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 20

Postby Super Luigi! » November 16th, 2013, 2:22 am

Then more power to you, Mrs. Q. I'm simply stating my own opinion; you don't have to agree with me, and I'm not attempting to convince you otherwise. So go run wild and have fun with DKCR 3D on the train! Just know that I won't do the same, neither with the game nor the train!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby CaptainEddie » November 18th, 2013, 4:12 pm

I guess I'm the minority here, but I absolutely love 3D. I turn it off as little as possible on my 3DS.

So obviously, I won't be getting the 2DS. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Super Luigi! » November 19th, 2013, 3:52 am

That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day, CaptainEddie. Even if you hated the 3D, why would you ever want to shell out more money for a new system that does less than the one you already have? >_< *coughPS4XBoxOneWindows8* :krool: Ahem, excuse me. Just getting used to the Short Link! ;-p
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby ShaneM » November 21st, 2013, 6:20 am

Well, in my opinion, Nintendo releases new consoles on a specific schedule. They try to make as much money as possible. The problem is, they ran out of clever ideas and released this thing. It is big, obsolete, and a waste.

My Logic:

First, A regular 3DS has 2D mode, already. Second, this thing is not portable-friendly. Third, it is made of lower quality material. Lastly, for the price, even though lower, you get less with cheaper workmanship. If you want to purchase a good quality console that's cheaper, just buy a used 3DS and switch it to 2D mode.

EDIT: The 2DS has only 1 sound speaker and NO new features. Buying a used 3DS/XL may, in fact, be cheaper.
^
Bananas received 10

Return to Gaming Discussion