Engrish and Spelling Mistakes in Gaming

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Engrish and Spelling Mistakes in Gaming

Postby Gaz » June 21st, 2013, 2:21 am

Okay, so this is a topic for instances of Engrish in video games. Engrish, if none of you knew yet, is poorly translated English from Asia (e.g. Korea, China,, Taiwan, etc.) Engrish can even be on signs and notices there. There is mainly Engrish in unlicensed video game memorabilia such as flashcarts, bootlegs, unlicensed games, etc.

I'll start off with the GBA Movie Player (an unofficial GBA multicart) box art (spoiler for size).

Spoiler!

I'll list what I see on this box that I see wrong:

*"A good and cool device for your GBA." Okay... I don't think that needs to be on there.
*"With high quality pictures and sounds." I believe that sounds should be singular.
*"To listen to the music." Okay, seriously. It's supposed to be "To listen to music."
*"FC game and image supporting." Supporting shouldn't have an -ing at the end of it.
*"The 2nd version." I think Version 2.0 would be better. Though it's only my opinion.
*"To read E-book." It's supposed to be plural in the case of E-book"s", or just "PDF and TXT files".
*You can see that GBA Movie Player doesn't have player capitalized. Official sources such as Wikipedia name it "GBA Movie Player." Titles for books, video games, and other media only have particles such as, "and", "or", "a", "an", "the", etc. in lowercase in the English language. This makes it incorrect to call it GBA Movie "player" in any case.
*"It must work with CF Card." I'll rephrase better, "Only compatible with a Compact Flash card." Card shouldn't be capitalized.
*"Supported OS:WINDOWS 9X/ME/2000/XP System." First off, the colon needs a spacing after it, and eliminate the word "System" as it is not needed. System also should be capitalized because it isn't the first word of a sentence.
*"enables you to play FC game, watch movie,read E-book, listen to the music, and view image on your GBA/GBA SP" I can see a lot of things wrong here. First of all, enables is the first word of the sentences so it should have the "e" capitalized, or they can use "allows" instead. Play FC game isn't very well translated. It should be play NES games. Watch movie should be "watch video files, the word movie and the comma are merged. There needs to be a spacing in between it. "The music" isn't an item noun. It should be "listen to music." The words "view image" should be in plural as more than one image can be viewed on the flashcart, and if it is only one image, you say "view a single image" instead. Finally, the end part should end with an exclamatory mark like most advertising does at the end of each sentence.

My translation to fluent English is: "Allows you to play NES games, watch video files, read PDF and TXT files, listen to music, and view images on your GBA or GBA SP!"

But these people aren't good at English, so we shouldn't bash them. We can accredit them for trying :). I recall Pokemon Diamond (bootleg) having Engrish in it "some points of 15 lost!" I'd like it if you guys can find more Engrish instances in gaming. Let me know if you do. I have the manual too, so I'll scan it if you want. I see a lot of Engrish in there. I apologize for educating you all in summer who want a summer without education :oops: .

EDIT: Now this topic is also about Spelling mistakes and errors as they are similar things.

geno
Qyzbud
Blaziken257
Mattrizzle
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Re: Engrish and Spelling Mistakes in Gaming

Postby Geno » June 21st, 2013, 3:16 am

Ah yes, Engrish.

One of my favourite languages
But remember, Engrish can also be in official video games!
For example, here's pretty much everything from first Zelda.

Spoiler!
MANY YEARS AGO PRINCE
DARKNESS "GANNON" STOLE
ONE OF THE TRIFORCE WITH
POWER. PRINCESS ZELDA
HAD ONE OF THE TRIFORCE
WITH WISDOM. SHE DIVIDED
IT INTO "8"UNITS TO HIDE
IT FROM "GANNON" BEFORE
SHE WAS CAPTURED.
GO FIND THE "8"UNITS
"LINK" TO SAVE HER.

LET'S PLAY MONEY
MAKING GAME.

PAY ME FOR THE DOOR
REPAIR CHARGE.

ONES WHO DOES NOT HAVE
TRIFORCE CAN'T GO IN.

EYES OF SKULL
HAS A SECRET.

SOUTH OF ARROW MARK
HIDES A SECRET.

Also, the intro from the Japanese version of Zelda II.
Spoiler!
SEVERAL YEARS AFTER GANNON
WAS DESTROYED,LINK LEARNS
FROM IMPA ABOUT THE ANOTH-
ER SLEEPING PRINCESS ZELDA.
HE IS TOLD SHE CAN ONLY
AWAKEN WITH THE NO.3 TRY-
FORCE SEALED IN THE GREAT
SANCTUARY AT DISVALLEY. TO
REMOVE THE SEAL, CRYSTALS
MUST BE EMBEDDED INTO A
STONE STATUE STANDING IN
6 SANCTUARIS.
LINK SETS OUT ON AN
ADVENTUROUS QUEST....
©1987 NINTENDO

Also "Clash Man" in Mega Man II, "Clawglip" in SMB2, etc.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Mattrizzle » June 21st, 2013, 5:25 am

Axem Black's thoughts when using Mallow's Psychopath special in the U.S. version of Super Mario RPG.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Markster » June 21st, 2013, 7:04 am

It's misspelled, "You're timing stinks!"???
Here's the correction "Your timing stinks!"
Must of been a bad translation or something.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Gaz » June 21st, 2013, 7:14 am

The beta ending screen for Ghostbusters. Only one spelling mistake was fixed, "Grate" which was corrected to "Great."

Retail ending:

Mistakes:
*Heroes shouldn't have a space then an exclamation mark. The exclamation mark should be next to "heroes."
*Congratulations is misspelled as "Conglaturation." The exclamation marks are also spaced after the word rather than merged. There is only a need for one exclamation mark instead of three.
*Proved is misspelled as "Prooved."
*Might not be just me, but I think the last paragraph is quite poorly written ("go and rest our heroes!")

Overall to me the entire ending screen is plain wrong. It should have the ending dialogue like "all the ghosts are gone thanks to you!" or something, along with the ending backstory.

I'm glad I made a forum topic everyone may enjoy :).
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Soniccuz » July 17th, 2013, 7:25 am

Colt wondering when the tree you planted will develop buds.

Monster Rancher 2's english translation is known to have a few holes. This one's become pretty infamous.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Geno » July 26th, 2013, 11:18 am

Also, other examples:

In Mega Man Soccer at one point in the game (I haven't played it,) Roll and Kalinka come in carrying a banner to congratulate you for winning.
They spelt Congratulations as "Congartulations"

In one of the Dr. Mario NES prototypes, the speed option is named "Sick Level"

Also, the ever famous "A WINNER IS YOU!", from the NES game Pro Wrestling.

And "Miss twice and your out.", from early copies of NES SMB3, as well as ALL copies of SMAS. (Later NES SMB3 copies as well as SMA4 replaced it as "You can only miss twice!".)

And if that's not enough, a prototype of Mario Paint misspells Crocodile as Clocodile. :headache: :angry: :nicework:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Raccoon Sam » July 30th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Metal Gear for NES. oh my god

"I FEEL ASLEEP!!"

"UH - OH! THE TRUCK HAVE STARTED TO MOVE!"
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby ShaneM » November 24th, 2013, 3:09 am

In Taito's Bubble Bobble, before you start the first level, it says: "Now, it is beginning of a fantastic story." The word "the" being omitted.

I'll add more to this list later. I have a good dozen or so more.
^
Bananas received 10

Return to Gaming Discussion