Maowi

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Maowi

Postby ProminenceF » March 22nd, 2013, 9:22 am

So, basically, I've been working on a platforming game for a bit- so far, the name's just 'Maowi', after the main character.

The story is relatively simple:

Deep in a jungle somewhere, someplace, there lives a old tribe, famed for its brave warriors. One of the youngest of this tribe is Maowi, and when she was born, she was expected to grow into a strong tribeswoman.

That kinda hasn't happened. In fact, Maowi is kinda a wuss.
It eventuallys gets to the point the tribe can't stand her freaking out all the time (and proceeding to wreck everything in her mad panics), so she gets kicked out of her tribe for being such an incredible wuss, and is left to wander the jungle, hungry and homeless. Fortune strikes soon, however, as she meets a wandering shaman, who tells her of a legend of an inexhaustible food supply somewhere far away...and it just so happens he has a map! Extremely hungry and despondent, she figures it'd be nice to live there, and sets off to find it, despite the many dangers. Hunger can make people do crazy things, after all.

However...a greedy and gluttonous treasure hunter has overheard them, and seeing an easy way to make money, he plans on staking his claim there, making it his own private paradise, leaving none for anyone else. He's put a great many obstacles and traps in Maowi's way, and to overcome all these trials, she'll need to dig deep, run fast, jump high, and, if all else fails...scream!

Maowi is a hop and bop platformer greatly inspired by Donkey Kong Country and ideally has a general 90s aesthetic to it in terms of character designs. Challenging and precise platforming is key in the game, without it being stupidly difficult.

Here's the star of the show!
Isn't she just a peach?

And here's the dirty, greedy fellow wanting to hoard it all to himself:

There are other characters involved in this whole debacle, but these are the main two characters; the heroine and the antagonist.

This is being made in Unity, and we're just getting really started with development; trying to get all of Maowi's movement options settled.

Why did I make this topic? I dunno. Hopefully the idea might strike as interesting to some folks.
(That and we've recently made some nice updates to the engine- nothing I yet want to actually show in PUBLIC though, oh dear no!- so I guess I'm feeling good at the moment.)
Newcomer
Bananas received 8

Re: Maowi

Postby Shy Guys Stash » March 22nd, 2013, 10:51 am

yeah I feel dirty after reading this thread :shakehead:
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » March 23rd, 2013, 7:56 am

Maowi, huh? Cute name, and wow — what an adorable character design!

I like the story you've developed; it's funny, sad, mysterious, hopeful... and really makes you feel for the heroine (and despise the greedy villain!). The story also holds a very clear (if a little unfair!) reason for Maowi's situation, and a strong motivation for her adventure — everyone can identify with being hungry! Oh, and as an enormous DKC fan... a jungle setting sounds perfect to me! ;)

I love the sound of what you've shared so far. :D

Shy Guys Stash wrote:yeah I feel dirty after reading this thread :shakehead:

What the devil could you mean by that... :huh:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby ProminenceF » April 4th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Sooo...progress was slow for this week, mostly due to Easter Sunday. We're working on getting a working Alpha up and running, and that takes a bit. But, I figure I should share a bit more with you guys.

The Treasure Hunter (also known as Lord Baron J. Hounderson, Esquire) isn't the sort to normally get his hands dirty, oh no. That's for the hired help.

This is the hired help.

Each of these are professionals in a certain field; excavation, security, that sort of thing, and they're not in the business of doing work for free. This represents a lucrative contract for them, and they're looking to get paid. Not to mention, they're not only good, they don't ask questions. Maowi will have to find her way past each of these top bosses in order to attain sweet, delicious, filling success.

And it WON'T be easy.
Newcomer
Bananas received 8

Postby Qyzbud » April 7th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Excellent stuff; it's great to see a story where the bosses are unique and their motives are clear.

Nice art/design, too. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to Gaming Discussion