NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Wii)

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Wii)

Postby Simion32 » February 2nd, 2012, 3:41 pm

_______________Discussion Thread

Yeah, so I just randomly "found" this series one day this year after getting curious about the source of some particular OCReMix tracks. I went through great trouble to set up a Sega Saturn emulator and played NiGHTS: Into Dreams...

...only to find that the only other (and second) game was from 2007. I wondered just how I just completely missed this series. NiGHTS is totally awesome, and it's up there with DKC on my personal scale. Sure the game(s) could be a bit longer, but this series is one of those extremely creative gems you don't find all that often.

I ended up buying this used from a sort-of-local GameStop, and there was only just the one used copy left. No other store had it. I was surprised that the game happened to be planted exactly where I needed to see it show up... :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Re: NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Wii)

Postby Kingizor » February 2nd, 2012, 5:06 pm

I love Nights into Dreams. It is definitely one of my favourite games due to how bright and colourful it is.

The gameplay is quite unique; if I had to describe it in one word, it would be "trippy". :shock:

The controls and movements are very fluid, and the game itself is as hard as hell. I remember the soundtrack being good as well, although I can hardly remember any of it now.

I've never played Journey of Dreams, but I did buy it for someone else Christmas before last. One of these cases of "buying someone else a game that you want"...

I wonder how different it is from the original?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Simion32 » February 2nd, 2012, 5:18 pm

I only briefly played into dreams but the games are remarkably similar, at least for the flying missions.

They did make some platforming levels that are interspersed with flying levels (all bosses are obviously flying ones).

Just be sure that if you ever get the chance to play it, use a Gamecube controller. Using the Wii remote "mindsight" motion controls is a pain in the ass. Workable, but still too difficult to use (unless you are insane, have tons of time to waste, and become an expert at using it).

As for IGN's rating, I think they underrated it because of the Wii motion controls. First of all, this series was made for the use of a control stick. It just doesn't work any other way. :lol:

On the overall the Wii game seems easier because of more fluid controls (ignore the Wii remote) and the ability to see more stuff onscreen at once, but I don't really care that it might be a tad easier. I like this series mainly for what it represents, and obviously the unique gameplay.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Soniccuz » February 2nd, 2012, 8:45 pm

Ah, I've played Nights Into Dreams. Don't have a saturn so I've never gotten to play the original. However, I'd always hear nothing but good things about it. Plus it definitely looks imagintive, and that's always a good thing in my books.

Into Dreams didn't really do it for me though. It wasn't really the gameplay or anything. I just found myself getting kind of bored towards the end.

Maybe using the Wiimote would spice it up. xD
I've always used the Wiimote, and nunchuk combo.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Return to Gaming Discussion