Favorite Game Store

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Favorite Game Store

Postby SimianSegue » April 4th, 2011, 7:46 am

I'm just curious, but I want to know your guys favorite game stores. I myself am not a big fan of Gamestop, but I love Game Over video games in Austin, TX. So, post your favorite game store and why. Thanks!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 4

Re: Favorite Game Store

Postby Soniccuz » April 4th, 2011, 3:50 pm

I'm not a fan of Gamestops either but, there's not much else around me outside of general stores like Wal-Mart that carry videogames.

Best Buy would probably be the closest thing. At least they have a decent selection of older titles unlike Wal-Mart, and didn't buy out Funco Land.
Which, if debunked stores count, would be my preferred store because their selection included games as far back as the NES. I even got an Earthbound cartridge from them,
talk about a lucky find.

Sadly the Gamestop that replaced them did away with that impressive library of retro games.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Jomingo » April 4th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Yeah, ten years ago I would've said Funkoland. Now, I'll go with Play N Trade. They're a lot like Gamestop I guess, and they might even be a bit more expensive sometimes, but they've got an extensive selection of Retro consoles and games as far back as the NES. Also, every one that I've been in has been rather large stores with around 20 demo stations and very wide aisles (much less crowded than Gamestops, which tend to be tiny and cramped). I bought Banjo Tooie and Donkey Kong Land at PNT.

Gamestop on the other hand, I hate. I hate everything about them. Unfortunately, I still go there sometimes for exclusive stuff (case in point: Donkey Kong Country Returns banana case). I used to go there all the time, but that was before Play N Trade came along.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Katzii » April 5th, 2011, 4:26 am

We don't have the same game shops here. A few years ago, I would have said Gamestation, since they dabbled in the retro video game market. They were since bought out by GAME and are now pretty much just GAME with a different name above the door.

GAME do have their perks though. Ordering online nearly always guarantees me a game the day before release, and a lower price. Score!
Trainee Trekker

Postby Tiptup Jr. » April 5th, 2011, 8:53 am

The only "gaming store" in my area is GameStop, who also gobbled up EB Games a few years ago, so I guess I'm stuck with them.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Markster » April 26th, 2011, 4:53 am

I don't really know, there is a lot of places where you can buy games out there, i go to game stop sometimes, but they usually sell bad condition games, i bought some old SNES games at a flee market, like DKC3, Super Mario Kart, etc., and walmart has games but i don't like them because there evil american haters from china.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Katzii » April 26th, 2011, 7:19 am

Having visited a Gamestation upcountry recently, it would apparently seem that it's just our Gamestation that doesn't sell retro stuff. BOO.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Phyreburnz » April 26th, 2011, 10:25 am

This is an easy question for me! There's a store called Cash in Culture here. They sell old games and systems. They have everything there! Atari, NES, SNES, and sega games to recent ones for PS3 Wii and Xbox. I loooove that store ♥ They even sell old systems (ataris, nes, snes, sega, and just about everything else!) It's a bit pricey, but you can find some rare stuff there. I saw a Nomad (portable and plays NES games) there the other day. Those things are rare as f---!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Mayo » April 26th, 2011, 4:49 pm

There used to be tons of video game shops where I live, EB Games and GAME seem to be the only ones that come to mind, but they only sell DS, Wii, 360, ps2 and ps3 games.

Currently, my favourite video game store isn't a game store at all XD I go to Cash Converters 'cuz they have a constant changing stock of retro games, pawn brokers ftw!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Chibisai Kong » June 9th, 2011, 8:17 am

GameStop and Game X-Change. And if you wanna get technically and want another store where you can get used games (but not old ones as these only date back to the GCN) then Hastings as well.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Kiddy14 » June 9th, 2011, 1:13 pm

I usually buy online; since people who sell online generally import the games from the US, they're actually cheaper (Latamel distributes at a fixed price Nintendo sets, so for example the 3DS ended up being at $420 Dollars but in Pesos).
Otherwise, GamePlanet or Gamers =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby SexyRayman » February 2nd, 2012, 8:22 am

I always liked EBGames better for buying my games! I also go into GameStop sometimes too though..XD
Tourist

Postby Ninni973 » February 3rd, 2012, 8:20 am

My favorite game store is GameStop. I often go there to get my games.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby MadcapTech » May 8th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Started to go to a local place called Gameplay. Great store, they still sell vintage games.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Super Luigi! » May 9th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Mine would be a combination of Gamestop and Wal-Mart.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mattrizzle » May 10th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I rarely buy new games these days, but when the situation arises, it can be at pretty much anywhere but GameStop and Best Buy--some of the possibilities are Wal-Mart, Target, Toys 'R' Us, and Meijer--yeah, "general" stores.

Choices seem to be more limited these days. No more Kay Bee Toys, Circuit City, Babbage's, or FuncoLand... (Of course, the latter two were converted to GameStops, which is the reason I've boycotted them). I dislike using the Internet to buy them, as I usually want to buy and play a new game on its release date.

For used games, there is a small regional chain called Book & Music Exchange with about three or four stores in my city (Louisville, KY). My copy of Donkey Kong Land came from one of them.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Soniccuz » May 14th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Happy to say there's finally a new used game store in town, 2nd & Charles. (well technally everything they sale is used)
I'm disapponted they "ate" the Books-a-MIllion but, already I've snapped up some noteworthy titles like Parasite Eve, and Shenmue from them.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Geno » June 3rd, 2012, 8:30 pm

I live in Hamilton, ON so there's not really any VG Store variety other that EB Games and Game Stop. But I rarely buy games there, because I found this awesome game store called 1UP Games and it has HUNDREDS of old games.
It's also where I got my copies of all 3 DKL games (DKL1 being the Australian version :shock: ),along with all the rest of my GB games except Pokemon Crystal.
(still waiting for them to get Mega Man 5 (GB))
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Return to Gaming Discussion