If the CD-i was never invented....

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

If the CD-i was never invented....

Postby FefeRawft » August 13th, 2010, 3:10 pm

What if the CD-i was never invented? There would be a lot of good things, but surprisingly a few things I would miss in this alternate world.

Some things to think about:

The "Nintendo PlayStation," the system that almost was. If Nintendo had taken up the offer with Sony instead of Phillips, we would possibly be playing Nintendo PS3, and a PlayStation DS. In this alternate reality, we would still probably be playing games with are arms still, and not waving them around. I would still be able to enjoy my Zelda sitting down, no motions, just button pressing, the way it should be. However, we can't know for sure how major Nintendo franchises would have ended up. Probably early SNES games would still have been on the NPS, but who knows? Maybe DKC never had a sequel, or maybe DKC would never have happened! Franchises such as Zelda and Donkey Kong, may not have gotten far. I have no doubt that if the NPS had continued to the NPS3, Nintendo would have far superior graphics, compared to the Wii. On the other hand, this theory could be completely wrong, maybe Rare would never had left Nintendony (Hehe, Nintendo-Sony)! We could already be at DKC6, or maybe DK128! More thoughts.... If the CD-i was never created, I wouldn't have the ability to walk down the halls at my school making fun of the CD-i, or occasionally saying "SPAGHEEEETTI!" or "All toasters, toast, toast!" There wouldn't be that one day of school where I spent an entire day watching YouTube Poops. The one thing I would miss, the CD-i YouTube Poops. Other than that, I really wouldn't miss the CD-i. I think the gaming community would be a lot better of with the Nintendo PlayStation.

Thoughts?
Trailblazer

Re: If the CD-i was never invented....

Postby Jomingo » August 14th, 2010, 2:29 am

Most random and crappy system to somehow regain total popularity due to youtube. Has anyone ever cared about the CD-i (aside from the godawful Youtube poops)?

Also, if Nintendo had made the Playstation, it wouldn't have made as drastic a change to Nintendo's franchises as you might think. We'd probably still have gotten the same N64 games all made for the Playstation, and wouldn't notice much a difference until the PS2 and onward days. Here's the biggest change: Sony was the first 3rd group to steal Nintendo/Sega's success, and without them Microsoft never would've been able to push in. Imagine a world where Sega hadn't dropped out of the market, and there was no Xbox! Still, had Sony not gotten in the market somebody probably would've stepped in eventually because the market can easily hold three rather than just two, but there's no guarantee that would've been Microsoft. What if it had been the Apple iBox! Or perhaps some other random company, like Samsung or something.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Re: If the CD-i was never invented....

Postby DK4Ever » August 14th, 2010, 6:09 am

I'm not sure, but if the CD-i was never invented, I'd be a miserable person indeed. I love me some Youtube poops.
Treasure Hunter

Return to Gaming Discussion