Zelda : A Link To The Past

Talk about any games outside of DKC's scope.

Zelda : A Link To The Past

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 3:13 pm

One of my favorite games I've ever played & I haven't even beat it. It's too hard :(

I recently started playing it again and I've got to the 2nd dungeon or something like that. At the bottom left of the map. But, what do you guys think of it? Don't be afraid to spoil it as I've watched speed runs.

What zelda game is your favorite in the series?
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Re: Zelda : A Link To The Past

Postby cfh » March 8th, 2008, 3:26 pm

I've never played this game. But out of the LoZ games I've played, Phantom Hourglass is my favorite. But I haven't played many LoZ games.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Kowbrainz » March 8th, 2008, 3:39 pm

It's weird.... I'm not really into the Legend of Zelda franchise nearly as much as other people claim to be, or perhaps as much as I should be. The only games I've actually played the whole way through were Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess; blasphemy on my behalf, yet again!

They're generally acclaimed as Nintendo's best franchise, but I've never been able to get into the other games in the franchise enough to actually sit down and beat them. I bought Phantom Hourglass last holiday season, and even though I really liked the innovative new features, even my younger sister is further into the game than I am... (by the way, this isn't as unusual as it is for some - my sister's an alright gamer, so she's just past halfway in the game).

I always found the Metroid and Donkey Kong franchises more fun to play through... perhaps a little bit of Mario on the side as well.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Yeah, I'd take the Mario franchise over LoZ as well.
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2008, 3:51 pm

Yeah, I think Ocarina of Time was the one I liked the most. A Link To The Past was really cool, but I played it after Oot...

One thing I really liked about ALttP was the way you could have an angry bee chasing you, but if you caught it in a jar, it would forget that it was after you, and you could release it later onto another unsuspecting victim! That was too cool. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby nickp17 » March 8th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Oh, and beating the snot out of those chickens :D
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 9th, 2008, 8:57 am

Twilight Princess is my favorite, although I haven't beaten it yet. I just haven't been able to get in to the Legend of Zelda series. I guess I'll always be a Donkey Kong fan deep down.

...And Mario. ;)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » March 10th, 2008, 2:13 am

I'm with ya, Tiptup. I've never come close to getting into another game like I have done with the DKC series.

Zelda: OoT was a game which I loved at first, but my brothers obsessed over it, which put me off the game quickly. I've always disliked over-hyped anything.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 10th, 2008, 11:56 am

Qyzbud wrote:I've always disliked over-hyped anything.

But you like DKC?
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 10th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Yeah. You've got me. Well actually, I don't think DKC (or sequels) were hyped much at all in my area. That or I was oblivious to the hype. I got into the games more or less on my own, and have stayed a fan without any of my friends being DKC fans. The Zelda series/franchise wasn't any more hyped here in the media (as far as I know), but friends/neighbours/brothers were always talking about Ocarina of Time, and so I got tired of it real quick. Hype may be the wrong word, but I can't think of a better one.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » March 10th, 2008, 8:52 pm

ALttP is also one of my favorite Zelda games, that and Link's Awakening (Which is the first game I've ever beaten, as far as I know...). I have never been a huge fan of the 3D games... 2D has always been superior to me, and so it will be.

TP was WAY TOO EASY. And I really disliked that there were no heart pieces in PH, that was a HUGE minus to me, the game itself was also too easy. I miss the time when games were hard...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 11th, 2008, 6:51 am

Qyzbud wrote:I got into the games more or less on my own, and have stayed a fan without any of my friends being DKC fans.

Same with me. I'm pretty much the only DKC fan in my entire town... Well, at least I have you guys!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby nickp17 » March 11th, 2008, 6:56 am

Tiptup Jr. wrote:
Qyzbud wrote:I got into the games more or less on my own, and have stayed a fan without any of my friends being DKC fans.

Same with me. I'm pretty much the only DKC fan in my entire town... Well, at least I have you guys!

same here. "halo3 man"

*rolls eyes*
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » March 11th, 2008, 11:17 am

Tompa wrote:TP was WAY TOO EASY. And I really disliked that there were no heart pieces in PH...

They dropped the heart piece system? That's crazytalk! Did max-health stay the same all through TP?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 11th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Qyzbud wrote:
Tompa wrote:TP was WAY TOO EASY. And I really disliked that there were no heart pieces in PH...

They dropped the heart piece system? That's crazytalk! Did max-health stay the same all through TP?

TP still has heart pieces (although 5 make a full heart container instead of 4); Phantom Hourglass doesn't, but you still get an extra heart container after beating each boss and in some other occasions.

Was a real shame, really... I loved the sidequests involved for getting heart pieces. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 11th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Oops, yeah I meant PH. :D

Yeah that's a shame. Sidequests were always my favourite thing about Zelda games.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 23rd, 2008, 9:13 pm

Eh... I decided to pick this game up again (on an emulator, though... shame on me) and I've just beaten the first dungeon. Dungeons certainly aren't as big or as confusing as the ones on the N64/GCN/Wii (at least so far/from what I remember) but the game's been pretty tight from what I've played.

I certainly prefer ALTTP over the original Zelda; I think that game probably got a lot of attention from starting the whole series off, but I dunno; just didn't feel as well done as the other Zelda's for each of their respective consoles. I dunno... I'm probably not giving the NES enough slack; I keep needing to be reminded of the jump in gameplay/etc from the NES to SNES.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Return to Gaming Discussion