Twitter Feed

Announcements of new forum features will be posted here. You can also request new features within.

Twitter Feed

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 7th, 2010, 4:21 am

So I just noticed those little Twitter blurbs on the top right of the screen- pretty interesting idea. I think that could be a really good, interactive tool, except... dammit, because I deleted my Twitter the other day. Maybe a Facebook group/page? :)

Spoiler!
:(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Re: Twitter Updates?

Postby Simion32 » November 7th, 2010, 5:57 am

:arrow: Also, where's the obligatory Expresso the Ostrich or Mini-Necky version of a twitter symbol?

Seems like a template right now, because the text is horribly broken:
DKC DKC ATLAS____________
ATLAS dkcatlas
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » November 7th, 2010, 9:30 am

I was thinking of calling them "Squawks' Tweets", as Squawks was a messenger in DK64, and is probably the more recognisable symbol... but your suggestions are also good. And yes, all of the recent developments are works in progress, so please watch out for falling monkeys.

Tiptup Jr. wrote:Maybe a Facebook group/page?

Have you tried searching for "DKC Atlas" on Facebook lately? ;)

Also, does anyone out there use Tumblr... ?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » November 7th, 2010, 9:39 am

I don't think anyone uses Tumblr; at least nobody I know. I'm using Facebook and Twitter...

And while we're on the subject of Twitter:
http://donkeykong.nintendo.com/#hoardofhype

DKCR has a Twitter contest going on. Every week they will choose a winner who will receive a Red Wii bundle with DKCR, and all you have to do is tweet the codeword with the #dkhoard tag in it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 7th, 2010, 10:23 am

Qyzbud wrote:Have you tried searching for "DKC Atlas" on Facebook lately? ;)

Tee hee.

But yeah, the reason I got into this "Twitter sucks" mentality the other day is because if you use Facebook, the only reason you really need a Twitter is to join contests (like the Hoard of Hype) and more of a micro, mini-blogging service to gauge public interest in something. Facebook could do itself some good by adding hashtags, but other than that I question the point of Twitter. It's more like shouting at a brick wall and hoping someone will hear you, but having no idea if they do hear you- plus that motherloving whale. Facebook is more like shouting directly at the people and they let you know they're listening by commenting, liking, etc. And I'm not familiar with Tumblr much, no.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Jomingo » November 7th, 2010, 10:27 am

I prefer Twitter; mostly because it just removes so much of the stupidity surrounding Facebook. I don't want tons of event invitations, friend requests, wall posts, invites to stupid games, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Twitter is simple. I just updates of what's going on or what my thoughts are. Of course, if you want to chat directly with one person Twitter is not the way to do it, but when I want to do that I use Skype or another instant messenger rather than Facebook.

Also, Twitter is perfect for people like me who just have random thoughts. It used to be I would get a random idea and then I'd forget about it. Now I tweet it and everybody laughs and says I'm awesome.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby HavocReaper48 » November 7th, 2010, 1:38 pm

That annoying, huge, box in the upper right that cannot be disabled is really annoying me...

It's just so out of place. Can it be put in a "show/hide" thing please?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 7th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Dude, you can barely notice it and it doesn't make a difference anyway. Gotta give props to Qyz for it... we should lay off him.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Simion32 » November 8th, 2010, 7:18 am

HavocReaper48 wrote:(...)

How about this?

dkca_twitterupdates_sg.png
Suggested scheme to make the updates feed fit in better.
Technically, I think the updates feed should be to the RIGHT of the search box...
dkca_twitterupdates_sg.png (19.84 KiB) Viewed 30184 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 10th, 2010, 8:12 am

OH MY GOSH!!! Twitter just decided to restore my account, praise da Lawd (my profile: https://twitter.com/#!/tiptupjr94). Be warned that most of it is just random spamming of Lady Gaga hashtags, I haven't updated in months. Anywayy... Simion's design is pretty cool, I'd also be fine with the current solid white box possibly moved to the right of the search box. But once again, I honestly don't mind regardless.

EDIT: And yes, I made that background.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby HavocReaper48 » November 10th, 2010, 1:56 pm

The large white square is kinda distracting... and yes, thank you, that would work fine, Simion. I agree, the update should be to the right of the bar too.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » November 10th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Well I've played around with the tweet panel's aesthetics, and the position of the search box... I'm pretty happy with the result, but I'd love to hear some feedback.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby HavocReaper48 » November 11th, 2010, 9:06 am

The site to me looks much better, even an improvement over the initial site before the whole Twitter thing rose up.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » November 11th, 2010, 2:51 pm

I'm honestly not trying to be nitpicky here. But that's a bit too transparent, don't you think? I'm just tempted to move my mouse over it thinking it'll darken up, but... well, you know.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » November 11th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Yeah, I think I will make it 'darken' on hover. Should be fairly straight-forward. I want it to be visible, but unobtrusive... which I think it is, currently. Of course, it would be more visible if it gained opacity when hovered over.

Aside from being a leeetle bit too transparent, what do you think? Is it a keeper?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jomingo » November 12th, 2010, 9:19 am

I like what I see. A "darken on hover" feature would be cool.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Simion32 » November 12th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Right now, it gains opacity upon hover. Looks great. :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Re: Twitter Feed

Postby Qyzbud » July 4th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Some of you may have noticed that the Twitter feed has been missing from our forum for a little while. I'm not entirely sure why this was (some required update that I didn't know about, perhaps), but I've incorporated an updated 'Twitter Timeline' widget where the old feed used to be.

One advantage of this new widget is that you can scroll down (using a mousewheel/touchpad or keyboard, etc.) to see previous tweets.

There is a bit more GUI in this version of the feed at the moment, but I will likely trim out most non-essential elements, so as to keep it clean looking, and to maximise tweet visibility.

Feel free to leave feedback here... and by all means follow DKC Atlas if you're the Twittering sort! :P

Favourites/retweet and replies on our tweets are welcome. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Return to Forum Features