DKCRE General Discussion Topic

Comparable to Lunar Magic of Super Mario World lore, and a more hacker-oriented tool, this program will give ROM hackers an advanced and powerful visual interface to hacking DKC.

Re: DKC Resource Editor

Postby Mattrizzle » May 16th, 2010, 11:14 am

Not sure how much good this will do, but I picked through the DKC.INI file of DKCRE v0.0.5.0 and altered it so that most of the sprites appear with the correct palettes in the DKC Sprite Viewer. Alternate palettes were also added for the sprites that were missing them.

The only palette issues that are known exist now are with sprites specific to non-level areas, such as the intro, map screen, and Kong Family areas (Funky's Flights and Candy's Save Point). This is because Simion32 only coded the viewer to accept palettes from bank FC (3C0000-3CFFFF), when these sprites use palettes from bank F9. I still gave these sprites the lower two bytes of their correct pointers, though.

DKCRE_v0.0.5.0_INI_edit.zip
Updated Configuration file for DKCRE v0.0.5.0. I had to upload it in a ZIP because INI files can't be uploaded.
(19.93 KiB) Downloaded 1023 times

Also, sprites 585-58C are King K. Rool's walking animation frames. My guess is that a certain part of the tilemap data is being read incorrectly...
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby Simion32 » May 16th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Thanks Mattrizzle, I'll be sure to integrate this information into DKCRE v0.0.6.0. I already knew that those $1618-$1630 were K. Rool's running frames, but as of the v0.0.5.0 implementation, attempting to load those sprites causes DKCRE to crash. I'll investigate this further when I get around to the new/updated sprite viewer.

"Small" Update: DKCRE v0.0.6.0 is now back-in-progress after a slew of exams, assignments, and other life-related things. I've just completed a rather cumbersome list of 200+ #define's for NitroGUI's theme definition implementation.

Right now I'm writing up all of the definition info (bitmap X,Y co-ords and dimensions, theme pallet colors, etc), to eventually be output to a file. Then, I'll be coding the interface - which will use this file as a base for the development.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » May 26th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Progress Updates: NitroGUI Basic Functionality, MMX Text Drawing

Thought I'd poke in here to post an update on how far I've gotten with NitroGUI. The interface is coming together quite nicely, and now has basic functionality such as window resizing. So far the only existing controls (Menu, ToolBar, StatusBar) are "shells" which need code, but they do work properly.

[Outdated Screenshot Removed]
This is the absolute latest build of NitroGUI's test engine.
This will get a whole lot more complicated than a simple window. ; )

This system has an interesting feature in which once a control draws itself onscreen, it can set what available space is left onscreen, causing the other controls to be "pushed" into the unoccupied area. This effectively can be used to create "docked" controls such as the StatusBar or an object Panel.

In order to get some decent-looking text, not only did I have to write my own massive text drawing engine, but I also had to make new MMX alpha-blending modes to go along with it. The current list of drawing blenders is as follows (newest items highlighted):

NRM - Normal Operation
ADD - Additive Blender
SUB - Subtractive Blender
AVG - Average Blender
MUL - Multiply Blender
SCR - Inverted Multiply Blender
ALB - Alpha Blend
ALC - Alpha Blend with Foreground Color
ALA - Alpha Blend with Additive Foreground Color
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » June 21st, 2010, 7:26 am

Progress Update: Comprehensive Textbox Control Completed!!!

Over the last few days I've been developing one of the most involved controls in the entire system (only Context Menus are more complex): a fully-featured, 100% windows compatible, ASCII text box. I built this thing to be VERY robust, and it can handle any amount of text you throw at it.

This required a TON of reworking on the text drawing system and even some upgrades to the input class to accomplish, since there are so many different input methods involved here! Needless to say, the input upgrades will be great for the DKCLB editor once it's under construction. ;)

NitroGUI's TextBox Features:
-Only accepts characters in the ASCII range (0x00 to 0x7F).
-Theoretically unlimited text buffer size, though manual limits can be imposed.
-Undo/redo using standard Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y.
-Theoretically unlimited undo/redo buffer.
-Shows the standard I-beam text cursor on mouse-over.
-Select text or place the typing position using your mouse.
-You can move the typing position using Arrow Keys, too.
-Backspace deletes the character before the typing position, or selected text.
-Select All text with standard Ctrl+A or a Double-Click.
-Cut, Copy, Paste, and Delete selected text via standard keyboard shortcuts.
-Type in enough text to overflow the TextBox, and the text will scroll as you type.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » June 30th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Progress Update: NumericUpDown, DropDownBox, and ListBox Controls

I'm not going to plug away at details in this post, but I'll have you know that doing this stuff was even more complicated than the TextBox...;)

This is the absolute latest build of NitroGUI.
Also, notice the sweet new mouse cursor (yeah, that's part of the interface, too)!

Got 6 components done, about 28 to go! Don't fret, a lot of the ones left to do are extremely simple, like push buttons and labels. I'm just tackling the toughest components of the interface first.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » July 4th, 2010, 5:12 pm

Thanks! :D

Progress: TrackBar, Label, and Button Controls Completed!!
(a screen shot of all controls so far will be posted upon next progress update)

Development Update: Now Using Code::Blocks as IDE

I've updated my entire tool chain, bringing several new capabilities to the table. I can now use GDB to debug C++ apps, and now I've used that to hunt down some very nasty Segmentation Faults that have been hiding in the base code since the entire project started! There are now no known bugs which can cause a crash (or lie dormant and crash later) in the entire engine, and now only Logic errors in the code could possibly remain. But as far as that goes, there are none so far. ;)

Code::Blocks is also a lot more intelligent with its file handling. I can build as Debug or Release, each with its own compile settings. Best of all, dependency generation is not broken like Dev-C++'s implementation, so compile speed is now FASTTTT!!!

And what do you know... so far the entire program, stripped of all symbols and packed with UPX, is only roughly 196KB. That's small! 8-)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Scraps69 » July 4th, 2010, 6:09 pm

That's really cool :D. How much more coding do you need to do?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » July 5th, 2010, 12:42 am

How soon will an editable version be ready? Should I just finish the Stop & Go hack the hard way or wait for the Resource Editor?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » July 5th, 2010, 4:05 am

Woah, KongFu.... this is only the underlying interface structure for DKCRE v0060 — and NitroGUI will probably still take a little while to finish, as it's very comprehensive in scope (within its own context). There are a lot of certain things which are needed for the interface of DKCLB and DKCRE, and I must construct those first before even attempting an actual program interface.

You should just continue hacking as usual, as DKCRE v0060 is nowhere near done enough. :P

Also, I'll be having to make a small text-to-data translator tool which will speed up the design process once DKCRE is under development.

As with everything, there is no set date... it gets done when it gets done. But I assure you, the process will go much faster now. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cosmicman » July 5th, 2010, 1:44 pm

That last screen looks sweet, I hope you keep that blue and black theme going on, it has awesome contrast.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Simion32 » July 7th, 2010, 6:54 am

Progress Update: BFA Revamped, New Advanced MMX Drawing Routines

I've realized that I'm going to need to go through all of my old code and update it so that it is organized and falls in line with all of my other recent coding standards (such as prefixing base functions with the letters 'Tz' to differentiate them from other library functions). In the process I will be updating the code so that it is not only easier to read, but also more efficient at run-time.

One of the major components of the base code, the Bitwise File Access routines, have been revamped and debugged to ensure that access violation crashes are less likely. It also contains much more sanity checking code and the functions will now return "failure" values if there is a problem reading in any data.

On the other side of things, I'm completely reworking the base graphics functions to use MMX wherever possible. I've built the two main functions that will end up being commonly used in DELTA, but they are also the most MASSIVE functions I have ever built. The first one here is 2756 lines of code, the second one is 4499 lines. These files get really long because they are mostly raw assembly, with one CPU instruction per line.

void TzBMP_draw(BITMAP* src, BITMAP* dest, Vsx16 dx, Vsx16 dy, Hex32 TzMode, Hex32 flip);
void TzBMP_drawmasked(BITMAP* src, BITMAP* dest, PixMask* mask, Vsx16 dx, Vsx16 dy, Hex32 TzMode, Hex32 flip);
Both of these functions support flipping the bitmap horizontally and/or vertically during drawing, in ANY of the first 12 basic blender modes.
Supported Blenders:
TzModeNRM, TzModeADD, TzModeSUB, TzModeAVG, TzModeMUL, TzModeSCR, TzModeABL
TzModeAND, TzModeANDN, TzModeOR, TzModeXOR, TzModeNOT

The masked version of the drawing function allows you to pass in a pointer to a string of bits that define whether each pixel should be drawn or not.

This is all calculated linearly without any jumps in the actual calculation. However, to support this functionality I had to use another register as a bit counter, and in order to know when the bit data pointer needs to be incremented you MUST use a jump instruction.

The Alpha Blender mode, at this point, is the bulkiest. It uses all 6 processor registers and all 8 MMX registers, too. :ugeek:

Cosmicman wrote:That last screen looks sweet, I hope you keep that blue and black theme going on, it has awesome contrast.
Thanks cosmicman! Yeah, there's definitely more where that came from. ;)

Also, some of the graphics have been updated since the NitroGUI concept post, so the push buttons don't look as horrible and are more in-line with the Windows XP feel. I could post a screenshot, except, NitroGUI is not yet in a build-able state. There are still a ton of references to the old BFA and graphics functions which throw compile errors.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » July 9th, 2010, 10:55 am

Progress Update: New Input Class

The NitroGUI engine now has Gamepad/Controller support. I finally got the engine up and running again, after a slew of mantenance and debugging to old, outdated code.

This screen shot is overdue...

Absolute latest build of the development engine.
This time featuring the TrackBar, Label, and Button controls.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » August 9th, 2010, 9:31 am

Progress Update: Custom Allegro 4.4 + SSE2 Capability

Thanks to the help of the folks over at Allegro.cc forums, I have successfully modified Allegro 4.4 to allocate BITMAPs on 16-byte aligned boundaries.

Now, with the BITMAP data always being octword-aligned,
NitroGUI, DELTA and DKCRE will be getting SSE2 drawing routines!!
:mrgreen:

Also: The size of included DLLs for NitroGUI are now just a measly 444 KiB once packed with UPX (no, that number wasn't done on purpose).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » August 28th, 2010, 9:58 am

NitroGUI Alpha Demo #1

Requires a CPU with MMX Technology (Pentium 4 or later recommended)
DOWNLOAD:NitroGUI Test Engine v0.0.0.1a (outdated, removed)

Hidden keyboard controls for this demo:
ESC: Exits the program, only if the main window is focused.
F11: Toggles full-screen mode, only if the main window is focused.
NumericUpDown: Right-clicking on the arrows will make the number advance by +/- one at a time.
TextBox and NumericUpDown: Ctrl + A,Z,Y,X,C,V (standard windows shortcuts).
DropDownBox: You can use arrow keys and/or PageUp/PageDn to navigate. Enter to select.
Note: Minimize has been blocked due to an unresolved context swapping crash.

It's about time there was an update, so here's something you can all play with. It's the latest build of the NitroGUI test engine!

Quite a bit of what's happened between my last screen shot and now has been the typical "behind-the-scenes" kind of code, so don't expect to see the interface in its full glory just yet. ;)

Please, if you have the time, test this out and tell me how it goes (be sure to try stuff in the full-screen mode, as well).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kingizor » August 28th, 2010, 10:44 am

In the drop-down menu, you can't scroll with the mouse's scroll wheel, or if you hold down the up or down keys. Are you going to implement something like this at some point?

When I right click on the program in the taskbar, I don't get a menu or anything.

And I think it's taking something like +90% cpu usage.

The whole thing looks damn beautiful by the way..
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Simion32 » August 28th, 2010, 10:54 am

kingizor wrote:In the drop-down menu, you can't scroll with the mouse's scroll wheel, or if you hold down the up or down keys. Are you going to implement something like this at some point?
Yeah, eventually.

kingizor wrote:When I right click on the program in the taskbar, I don't get a menu or anything.
That's something I haven't really solved yet, and it is something that needs to be done.

The menu is gone because I'm drawing the entire window on my own, making XP register the Taskbar icon as having no menu.

kingizor wrote:And I think it's taking something like +90% cpu usage.
This is due to the way the engine is designed. If no other programs are running it will be using all of the CPU time (instead of giving it to the System Idle Process). I'll look into changing this but I have a feeling I might not be able to do anything about the high CPU usage.

kingizor wrote:The whole thing looks damn beautiful by the way...
Thanks! :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby EliasYFGM » August 30th, 2010, 9:15 am

This is brilliant :D Although it runs a little slow on my computer...
It has minimal issues, but the whole program is pretty decent. Good luck with it ;)
Newcomer

Postby Qyzbud » August 31st, 2010, 7:47 am

Ahh, that's looking tremendously sleek and sexy... works like a dream on my high-end Windows 7 64-bit PC. Keep up the amazing work! :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cosmicman » September 1st, 2010, 11:19 am

Spoiler!

That is all I get, what am I doing wrong? :oops:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Simion32 » September 1st, 2010, 11:24 am

Doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong. :lol:

This is a demo for the interface that DKCRE, DKCLB, and DELTA are all going to be using.

I wanted to release a demo to be sure that it worked on other people's machines as expected. ;)

Also, sorry that I "hijacked" the DKCRE thread for this... but I didn't think NitroGUI warranted yet another thread.

EDIT: So, does the interface work as expected? No crashes? Does full screen work (does it switch fast)?

EDIT 2: Do I need to post a screenshot full of code to convince you this is actually being done? :geek:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cosmicman » September 1st, 2010, 11:34 am

Well, I was clicking everything asking myself " Where's that monkey?!?" :lol: But my antivirus, AVG , just registered Nitrogui.exe as malware and it quarantined it. :o It disappeared from my folder.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Simion32 » September 1st, 2010, 11:40 am

Aww, crud, not this false positive crap again...

Back when I was using Allegro for input several anti-virus programs picked it up mistakenly as being malware.

Now that I'm using direct Win32 API calls, it's doing the exact same thing I thought I had gotten rid of. :x

Trust me, this program doesn't do anything bad. I have had to allow the old DKCRE and DELTA as exceptions because my blasted Antivirus always picks it up as a Keylogger (because of the Keyboard input methods).

The reason, presumably, is because the method I use allows the window to receive input no matter what program is actually focused. Again, I'm using this method legitimately, and the warnings are false positives. EDIT: Here's a snippet of the exact function call:

//If prmKey represents key/mouse information
p = ((GetAsyncKeyState(prmKey) >> 15) & 1);
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » September 1st, 2010, 2:43 pm

It jerks my graphics for about 10 seconds when going out of Full Screen.
I suppose that's normal? It's Windows 7, by the way.
It runs great, though I'd suggest getting more contrasting colours; I lost my mouse xD

Nod32 detects nothing =]
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » September 1st, 2010, 10:22 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:It jerks my graphics for about 10 seconds when going out of Full Screen.
It runs great, though I'd suggest getting more contrasting colours; I lost my mouse xD
Ambiguity detected.

(1) What does "jerks my graphics" mean?!
(2) Does the custom mouse cursor actually appear? How about in full screen mode?

With the mouse, there's a chance I might have to draw it in software (have NitroGUI draw it on the window, instead of Windows handling the mouse) in full screen because I've heard that the full screen modes are sketchy with mouse cursor support.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » September 2nd, 2010, 10:36 am

Sorry xD

Whenever I get out of Full Screen, whichever windows I had opened turn black for about 10 seconds.
Only the transparent parts turn black, though, whatever is not translucent stays the same.

I think my mouse is silly. I tried it again but it didn't happen, so I guess my computer was just laggy...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Simion32 » September 2nd, 2010, 1:36 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:Whenever I get out of Full Screen, whichever windows I had opened turn black for about 10 seconds.
I think I know exactly how to solve that black screen problem.

The issue is that the other open windows don't update as often with NitroGUI hoggin' the processor time.

When you switch back from Full Screen, the video buffer is completely black due to the mode switch (this is frequently observed in commercial games).

The solution: After switching out of Full Screen I'll just have NitroGUI force an update of all windows on the screen.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cosmicman » September 7th, 2010, 10:15 am

Simion32 wrote:
EDIT: So, does the interface work as expected? No crashes? Does full screen work (does it switch fast)?

EDIT 2: Do I need to post a screenshot full of code to convince you this is actually being done? :geek:

It worked great, I love the colors, the feel, everything, no crashes, it switches fast, full screen works perfect, until like the fourth time when the antivirus kicked its butt. :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Simion32 » September 15th, 2010, 11:56 am

Progress Update: NPL Script Interpreter Underway

I've started writing a text parsing routine that will take a customized NPL (that's NitroGUI Program Layout) script and convert it into (1) binary data and (2) some include files — that can then easily be included/compiled into the program.

$CForm = MAIN_FORM
{
Dimensions = 294, 300;
DimensionLimits = 0, 0, 0, 0;
Text = "NitroGUI NPLScript Test";
AllowMove = yes;
AllowSizingHeight = yes;
AllowSizingWidth = yes;
VerticalCenter = normal;
HorizontalCenter = normal;
IsMaximized = no;
HasIcon = yes;
// Bits..... Help, Info, Minimize, Max/Restore, Merge, Close
CaptionButtonsVisible = 011101;
CaptionButtonStates = 000001;
BorderType = dialog;
CaptionSize = normal;

$CButton = CONVERT_BUTTON
{
//etc...
}
}
...approximately converts into...

000000 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 3a 41 75 01 26 01 ..........:Au.&.
000010 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4e 69 74 72 6f 47 55 ,........NitroGU
000020 49 20 4e 50 4c 53 63 72 69 70 74 20 54 65 73 74 I NPLScript Test
000030 00 00 01 00 01 00 0d .......

This stuff is the backbone which will eventually be used to build the DKCRE interface. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » October 13th, 2010, 3:40 am

Progress Update: Script Interpreter Working, Tons of new Controls, Theme Data Upgrades

It's about time I posted an update on NitroGUI. I've been making quite a bit of progress behind the scenes, and I've just been reluctant to post anything yet. But there are a ton of new additions to the program since the last post.

The script interpreting system is, needless to say, working like a charm. It has made testing controls out so fast as to almost be on-the-fly, and this will bode very well for DKCRE's interface design phase.

Also, recently the theme loader code got a massively needed upgrade which provides the ability to swap themes during runtime, and also makes modifying an existing theme as easy as collecting bananas.

I've got a slew of new controls done, but you'll have to wait for a screen shot:
MenuStrip, CMPopup, CMSeperator, CMItem, CMCheckItem, CMRadioItem (complete set)
ToolStrip, CTSeperator, CTButton, CTCheckButton, CTRadioButton, CTDropDownButton, CTImage (complete set)
StatusStrip, CSSeperator, CSLabel, CSIcon, CSProgressBar (complete set)
PictureBox, CheckBox, RadioBox
DKCRE-Required Controls Completed: 31/47 [67%]
(an un-coded control or two from the last count were 'kicked out', and some new ones added)

I just got done with the Menu Popup and Menu Item controls, and boy were they tough to code! :geek:

@6:17PM... EDIT: All menu controls done, added to this post's list! ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » October 13th, 2010, 9:51 am

Good to see progess being made. Looking foreward to the next update. Keep it up. 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » October 25th, 2010, 4:39 pm

This should give you some idea of where I'm at (doesn't show everything):

<Outdated Image Deleted>
Shown here are:
MenuStrip, MenuPopup, and MenuItem;
ToolStrip with a single CTDropDownButton (down arrow behaves like a DropDownBox);
StatusStrip and Status Label;
Two static Labels, and a label scripted with text from a TextBox control;
DropDownBox and a fake representation of the drop down list;
TrackBar and NumericBox, which are data-linked;
A slew of check boxes and radio boxes;
A PictureBox filling the bottom of the window;
A ToolTip (in green) on the PictureBox.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » November 2nd, 2010, 7:06 am

This is a very good project, i can't wait for version v0.0.6.0 to be released.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » November 6th, 2010, 2:53 pm

I got some questions about DKCRE

1. Will you be able to import custom ASM objects to DKC1.
2. Can you edit error messages in DKC2/3, you know, like change the game over background to a custom background.
3. Will you be able to add more objects in a level.

I figure some of them will require a expanded ROM.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » November 6th, 2010, 3:24 pm

1 & 2. Requires manual hacking using DKCRE's hex editor or any other hex editing tool. BG editing might be a later feature, but I'm not sure about it yet.

3. This is only allowed after issuing a Nuke All Levels command on the ROM.

After all levels have their objects erased, DKCRE can then use a dynamic object allocation method.

It's really nothing more than packing all existing level object arrays together, and giving you the size of the entire object bank to work with rather than having a limit per-level. But be warned, once the bank is filled up you won't be able to add any more objects.

As for expanded ROMs, they are not officially supported by DKCRE.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » November 12th, 2010, 11:08 am

Nitro GUI work's on my dads computer, but not on my computer, i think its my processor, my processor on my laptop is 1.6Ghz, my dad's desktop processor is 3.47Ghz.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Kingizor » November 12th, 2010, 11:38 am

It shouldn't be anything to do with the processor or the clock speed, unless you've got an older processor that doesn't support MMX. It's probably something entirely different that you're missing, software-wise.

Go here (link), to get a small program called CPU-Z. Run it, and it'll tell you the model of your processor. Further down it'll tell you the instruction sets your processor can handle. MMX should be one of them. If it isn't there, then we know the cause. If it is, then that should rule out the processor.*

*God help me if I'm completely wrong about all this, but an MMX capable CPU is the only requirement listed for NitroGUI.

edit: Now that I think about it, it seems highly unlikely that a processor exists that is capable of 1.6Ghz, but doesn't have MMX. Oh well...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Markster » November 12th, 2010, 12:41 pm

It may not work on my computer but it does work on my dads computer, ah well, i imagine my dad won't mind me on his computer sometimes.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » November 12th, 2010, 12:59 pm

I had a chance to try NitroGUI, its very very good, good work Simion32.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Markster » December 10th, 2010, 9:20 am

I got some good questions about DKCRE...

1. Will there be a music importer?
2. Will there be a graphics editor for DKC1?

And i got a question about DKC hacking, does DKC3 use the same music format as DKC2?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » December 12th, 2010, 5:17 am

DKCRE Interface is Underway... :mrgreen:
<Outdated Image Deleted>

Trust me, we're getting really close to a release... ;)
Markster wrote:(...)
DKCRE will not have music editing/importing capability. I have no info on the music formats.
Graphics editor... maybe, but in a later version if so.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby n4ru » December 13th, 2010, 6:21 am

I take it this editor is for the original DKC only? So no DKC2:DKQ editing? Would be really nice to see people working on the (in the opinion of a lot of people) best game of the series, the 2nd one.
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » December 13th, 2010, 6:24 am

No, it is to eventually be for ALL THREE games in the original trilogy. However, v0060 (the next release) will only edit DKC (2/3 will come later).

DKCRE v0060 will have data extraction capabilities for at least up to DKC2, if not 3.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » December 17th, 2010, 8:44 am

Progress Update: Level Display Working!

<Outdated Image Deleted>
Level Display code is up and running, with physmap capability too!
Notice the level selection drop down arrow. Veeeerrrrry useful.

Of course drawing everything all at once like that is as slow as sludge on my PC (frequently skips frames at around 30fps when maximized), but it's to show all of the display features I have done so far. ;)

Also, for some reason, the GUI engine now crashes under 16-bit graphics modes. Strange, since it never did that before. :?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby DKCplayer » December 17th, 2010, 10:14 am

You have put a lot of work into this. And it shows too. It's really starting to come together! :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Simion32 » December 17th, 2010, 10:58 am

Thank you, DKCPlayer! :)

Had I not spent the time creating the NitroGUI interface, I would have had to struggle with DKCRE v0059's hard-coded drawing calculations -- which was strung throughout the entire program -- and it would have taken even longer just to get to this point.

The proof is always hiding in the unfixed pudding, so to speak. A few of you may have started wondering whether I'd get anywhere with this, or if NGUI was a big ruse to cover my lazy hide *grin*... ;)

...but now I finally have the proof to show that I've done something. It may not look like much of a big deal, but NitroGUI was a major pain in the arse to program, even up to this minimal point of usability.

After DKCRE v0060 releases, you can expect DELTA to come soon after that.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » December 19th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Progress Update: Bananas Editable!

<Outdated Image Deleted>

Save for a few missing things on the panel, bananas are now fully editable like you've never seen before. :o
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » December 19th, 2010, 8:19 pm

I am very, very impressed by all of this, and excited about the possibilities right around the corner.

All I want for Christmas is DKCRE v0060. ;) (no pressure re: the timing, of course!)

Keep up the amazing work, Simion.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby HellFire » December 20th, 2010, 5:50 am

I don't post here so much, but i'm always checking the state of Simion32's stuff and i must say that you've done some nice progress! Keep the great work dude!
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » December 20th, 2010, 10:01 am

Thanks guys! :)

By the way, after you move the bananas when editing I now have it automatically do a Radix Sort on the banana groups, so that their internal data is sorted by X, Y, then group type (as otherwise glitches would occur).

Objects (coming up next) will get a similar treatment. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Resource Editor